Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #1

Leveling, Slides, And Awning on a 2019 Forester 2861ds

Hi everyone, I am brand new to this forum. I have a question about my 2019 Forester 2861DS. I have to set the emergency brake and have the key or running) on to level and put the slides out. I can understand this but I also have to have the key on to put the awning in or out. Shouldn't the awning work without turning the ignition switch on in the camper? If I go to awning on the control panel and try to open or close it it says it is off line until I turn the key on. Is there a reason for this? I will be open to any logical explanation. Thanks, Tim
P.S- I might be slow reading any answers as I'm brand new to this sight and just learning how to use it.
sonofabeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Safety Locks

Sounds like something is messed up.
Levelers : Engine running in Park, Emergency brake on.
Slides: House Battery On, Been a while so I dont remember if Engine can be running or not.
Awning: House Battery On, Key out of ignition.

Happy Glamping & Be Safe
Old 07-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I can understand leveling and slides but not the awning. I wonder if there is a way to by pass the emergency brake switch. I just need to know if it is normally open or normally closed when the brake is on.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofa.beacher View Post
Thanks for the reply. I can understand leveling and slides but not the awning. I wonder if there is a way to by pass the emergency brake switch. I just need to know if it is normally open or normally closed when the brake is on.
I would recommend that you not bypass the safety lockout. It is there to protect
you.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #5

I don't want to by-pass it. I know it's there for a reason. I just e-mailed Forest River and I'll see what they say. Thanks again, Tim
Old 07-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #6

Exact opposite on my 2017 2861ds, key must be off for the slides, awning, and levelers to work.

There has been discussion here that this was changed after my 2017 and may have to do with adding engine battery to help the chassis batteries. Try searching, there has been discussion about this issue and some may have tried to do a bypass.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
Exact opposite on my 2017 2861ds, key must be off for the slides, awning, and levelers to work.

There has been discussion here that this was changed after my 2017 and may have to do with adding engine battery to help the chassis batteries. Try searching, there has been discussion about this issue and some may have tried to do a bypass.
I actually like your system better. I wonder if has to do with a power draw difference between Level-Up and Big Foot?
Old 07-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I actually like your system better. I wonder if has to do with a power draw difference between Level-Up and Big Foot?

That may be why, and I do like it the way mine is, it would be aggravating to have to turn the key on every time I wanted to run the slide in or out as we do often in windy conditions. As for helping the house batteries, I always hook up shore power before leveling and doing the slides, if I am boondocking I would either run the engine or the generator.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #9

I can understand having the engine running and parking brake set for the levelers. It could be to protect the "Parking Pawl" in the transmission. I don't understand the slides so much and I don't understand the awning.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
2012 Solera

Believe Forest River made a change to ensure the engine is running when operating the Slideout, as some Slideout malfunctions were related to insufficient voltage from the house batteries during operation. This change was to add the engine alternator power to up the available voltage to the Slideout.
Believe the awning effect was an “unintended consequence” that was undone a couple model years later.
Believe from earlier posts you “Towpro” the awning issue can be undone by moving the awning wire in the BCC to a non-ignition disabled tap.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-a-194290.html
Post #7
Towpro seems to be quite knowledgeable on this issue.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #11

On my 2016 Forester 3011DS if I just have the key in the ignition the slides won't go in or out... the awning will work either way
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

All these different configurations based on Model, Year and maybe type of leveling and slide mechanisms reminds me of Alan King doing the TV program line-up skit on Johnny Carson.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

My 2020 Sunseeker requires parking brake on and engine running for jacks, parking brake amd key on but engine optional for slides, and the awning works only when the key is off. This all makes sense to me.

Forest River has been very inconsistent over the years with which interlocks are required for awning, slides, and jacks. There are several older threads discussing this, and some had tips to rewire or reconfigure the wiring to make it work the way it “should”. What I would do is learn how it is all wired and change it so it makes sense. Use the forum search feature to find the old threads.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #14

My 2020 Sunseeker 285 awning requires the 12 volt switch be on before it works. In order to move slide the emergency brake and ignition switch must be on. The reason for this is to avoid draining your coach battery. I always start the engine before moving the slide. Hope this helps.
J David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Sonofa.beacher

First off I want to tell you I love the name. Made me laugh. Secondly, i wish i could tell you i have a good answer to why the 2019 Forester is wired the way it is, except for early on we had an issue with the Battery Control Center and multiplex system communicating with each other. Everyone is correct as to why we wire the leveling system and slide rooms to the ignition and parking brake. both of those systems can fail with low voltage and we want to make sure coach is running before the operate, but until we rectified the communication issue the awning was also wired the same way.

I hope this helps
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #16

The way mine works is emergency brake on and engine running to put the slides out. Awning will not go in or out with the engine running. Must have batteries on.
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
Sonofa.beacher

First off I want to tell you I love the name. Made me laugh. Secondly, i wish i could tell you i have a good answer to why the 2019 Forester is wired the way it is, except for early on we had an issue with the Battery Control Center and multiplex system communicating with each other. Everyone is correct as to why we wire the leveling system and slide rooms to the ignition and parking brake. both of those systems can fail with low voltage and we want to make sure coach is running before the operate, but until we rectified the communication issue the awning was also wired the same way.

I hope this helps

Kary, thanks for providing this info, I know you are participating on this forum to be helpful to FR owners and not as a part of your job, just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate it.
Bob

Tags
awning, forester, leveling, slide