Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

light problem

Have a sunseeker 3050s 2013 while driving last night, my interior lights went dim like a low battery. After about ten minutes, came on bright again. I know my batteries need to be replaced as the label shows January 2010 as production time. They hold a very weak charge, but i thought the engine will keep the 12 volt system up to speed.Hoping someone has had this problem to give me some ideas on what to check nothing went dim on the dash for lights or on outside of coach .
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

So you were driving at night and had a bunch of interior house lights on?

I would find that distracting for trying to see out the windshield into darkness.

If this is a new problem, like you said, maybe it's time for new house batteries.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #3

light problems

Having the lights on behind me does not bother me, having them dim and then return to bright does. having children in the back we need to keep them busy and the light on over the dining table does not reflect off the windshield
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

I believe that even though the house batteries get charged while driving from the alternator - the alternator alone is not powerful enough to charge all three batteries (it is probably the same one they use in most ford v10s) - The way they charge the house batteries is it charges them for about an hour at a time and then takes a break that way it won't push the alternator too hard and make it overheat and fail. Your house batteries are probably almost bad and what happens is the lights will get the full voltage when the alternator is charging them and then when it takes a break they go back to their low-voltage state because they are bad or need charging. So basically the alternator is not always charging the house batteries it is an hour on and an hour off I believe - if you want to charge them use a separate battery charger or just plug the coach in - the onboard battery charger is pretty good and will fully charge them overnight. If your batteries are from 2010 I would just replace them now before they cause other problems - batteries can last A long time if you monitor them and maintain them and make sure they never go dead but that almost never happens in an RV so if they are six years old I would just replace them
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light