Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Lighting Fixture Bulbs Exchange

Saw a post from last year on LED upgrading from stock 921 bulbs (1.4A) to LED. Amperage draw can get pretty high with uncontrolled use of the lights, especially with kids and those who need every light in the house on. Its OK when on shore power but not boon docking in Wally Worlds Parking lot I see a 912 bulb (1 amp) That's looks the same but hard to tell. Has Anyone used the 912? And, I expect the light output to be much lower. I guess its wise to change out to LED in the long run, but I was going to run the 921's and replace with 912's as the 921's go bad. It's not a big priority to go led in the whole coach, just need to do the research. Your thoughts / experience on the LED's would be appreciated also.

Thanks
RON
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon.com: Zone Tech LED replacements for Malibu Landscape light 5 LED SMD SMT 194 T10 Wedge Base Warm White 12V DC/AC 1407WW (Pack of 4): Automotive

I have some of each of these in my 5th wheel. The bigger ones are equivalent to the 921s. The smaller ones are nice in areas you don't need full light.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #3

Make sure you pay attention to the color. Bought cool white ones, but they were not bright enough. Bought warm white leds off ebay from...you guessed it....China. They are as bright, or brighter than the halogens at a fraction of the power consumption. They come with three different bases that are interchangeable, one of them happens to be the one needed for these light fixtures.
troyray1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #4

Do have the link on ebay
DrJMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #5

DrJMB, Just do search on ebay for 12 LEDs. There are tons of them. Pay attention to Lumens not current draw to get bright enough LEDs. I have purchased 3 different type to replace my 921 bulbs. Going on 5 years of use and not any failures, but your results may vary. As cheap as they are on ebay I think it is worth it to buy a couple to use as spares. Prices here in the USA are still way too high but coming down slowly.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #6

Thanks I bought 10 last year on Ebay but could not retrace which sellar. I think I found it at 10pcs T10 921 194 168 SMD Bulb 25 1210 LED Bulbs Lights Warm White | eBay
DrJMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asparky View Post
Saw a post from last year on LED upgrading from stock 921 bulbs (1.4A) to LED. Amperage draw can get pretty high with uncontrolled use of the lights, especially with kids and those who need every light in the house on. Its OK when on shore power but not boon docking in Wally Worlds Parking lot I see a 912 bulb (1 amp) That's looks the same but hard to tell. Has Anyone used the 912? And, I expect the light output to be much lower. I guess its wise to change out to LED in the long run, but I was going to run the 921's and replace with 912's as the 921's go bad. It's not a big priority to go led in the whole coach, just need to do the research. Your thoughts / experience on the LED's would be appreciated also.

Thanks
RON
Sparky, most if not all are made in china. The power draw is a function of basically two things. The total number of SMD's on the board and the efficiency of the circuitry sending power to the smd's. Recently, larger smd's are begining to be used increasing the total light output, drawing more overall power, and currently they are commanding a bigger price. As was said earlier, light color, (i.e. bright, soft) will give you different preceived light levels. Soft designation will not seem as bright to the eye as the other.
There are many vendors, myebay for one that sell the bulb your looking for and you will find that a little research can save you some real money if you plan on buying in say lots of 10.
Amazon generally is more expensive on this item. Hope that helped.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light