Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2022, 06:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Because 2 different power pedestals are in play the only common denominators are the ATS and that new 30amp plug you installed. I'm for the new plug.
If there was an issue with the old plug (can't tell ) then the ATS is bad.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:10 PM   #22

When troubleshooting electric like duck said you need a volt meter. Start at the source. Shore power or home make sure you have 110.-120volts. But seeing you have check a home and campground I going guess it your power cord . You can check it with the meter by plugging into shore power then go.to the other end of the power cord ( weather there a junction box in the basement or at the panel) if no power its the cord. Chances are that most likely the problem. The plug on those power cords tend to wear out. Good luck
Sonseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
In post # 11 the OP wrote “ We have an 30amp plug at our house just installed by an electrician.
I just got a brand new 30amp plug.”
I took the second sentence to mean that the OP got a new shore power cord and went so far as to ask that in the last paragraph in post 13.
Emmm... he didn't actually say that he got a new shore cable. He might have just installed a new 30amp plug on the outside of the rv. That's how I read that sentence.

It would help to know if he ever had shore power and when it stopped working. I think several of us think the electrician may have installed the plugs incorrectly.
We have a friend who had an electrician who 'knew what he was doing' come out and install rv connections for a private event the friend was having on his property. The first person who attempted to hook up discovered that they hadn't been installed correctly. Almost ruined the weekend.

Perhaps a bit more history of the problem would help.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:54 PM   #24
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Emmm... he didn't actually say that he got a new shore cable. He might have just installed a new 30amp plug on the outside of the rv. That's how I read that sentence.

It would help to know if he ever had shore power and when it stopped working.o
Perhaps a bit more history of the problem would help.
Exactly. When commonly used or technically correct terminology is not used it leaves the door wide open for misinterpretation. To me, that is the first step to a bad answer.
I have been trying to elicit responses to direct questions however no joy yet.

I also have “hypostulated” another scenario. Given the OP replaced “plug”, converter and batteries. Ok, lets say that there was a serious power spike. Converter was fried, cord was fried. Both replaced(maybe). So that means the ATS contacts would have taken a hit with them on shore power. But the genset works so maybe not. Again that brings us back to SeaDogs point 2. A wire could have burnt off the back of the rigs receptacle.

Meanwhile, I’m still guessing at the model number based on breadcrumbs…
Old 03-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #25

How many watts is the generator? 30 amp at the pole is only 3600 watts. So if he is trying to run AC, microwave, water heater, etc. on shore power there isn’t enough to go around. If the generator is even 5000 watts he has plenty of capacity.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:13 PM   #26
Certified Curmudgeon

Relevancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accountingphd View Post
How many watts is the generator? 30 amp at the pole is only 3600 watts. So if he is trying to run AC, microwave, water heater, etc. on shore power there isn’t enough to go around. If the generator is even 5000 watts he has plenty of capacity.
We have so far been unable to extract very many specifics from the OP so only assumptions can be made. The best guess is that he/she has a Cummins-Onan KY Series 4000W gas genset. The subject of the post is not how many utilities can be powered but the failure to be able to run on Shore Power. Since viable suggestions were made and there has been no response, I assume that the OP went dark.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:58 AM   #27

I also own a Sunseeker 2860, 31ft. Had a similar issue right after purchase. Had an electrician investigate and after an hour or so of testing everything, he pulled the shore power hook up off to find that the factory wiring was not only loose but very short. He tightened the screws and suggested I buy a 30 amp 90 degree adapter plug to reduce the pull on the hook up. Got the yellow marine grade one. Have had no problems since. Good luck with yours.

Herdpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:40 AM   #28

Isn't the Sunseeker a 50A unit? Doesn't the OP need an adapter to run off 30A to get both sides of the 50A service hot? It sounds like he is only getting 120vac on half the RV.
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:45 AM   #29

My Sunseeker is a 30 amp. I believe they all are.

Herdpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:05 AM   #30
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1650 View Post
Isn't the Sunseeker a 50A unit? Doesn't the OP need an adapter to run off 30A to get both sides of the 50A service hot? It sounds like he is only getting 120vac on half the RV.
MOST, and I repeat, MOST Sunseeker and Forester units are 30amp.

Anything is possible if you mod it, but most Class C units are 30 amp.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #31
Certified Curmudgeon

Read the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1650 View Post
There are at least 5 posts that would give you a clue had you read the thread. And just to keep it accurate: ALL F/SS were built as 30A coaches.

再见
Old 03-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #32

I read all the posts. There are a lot of confusing conclusions and discussions of how a 30A service works. No post gives the specs of a Sunseeker. The OP stated with just batteries all he gets is lights but when plugged into shore power he gets lights, tvs and microwave which implies he is getting some a/c on at least one circuit. I am not familiar with the Sunseeker but do know some RVs are 50A and the symptoms the OP is getting sounds like the results of only one leg of a 50A being powered. That is why my post was in the form of a question. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #33

Hopefully the OP has read this thread, had the wiring tested and moved on.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:07 PM   #34

When the OPs stop responding after asking for help I stop responding that's just me.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #35

This may be simplistic is your switch for the batteries in the on position. I know the batteries work with the shore power.
vickyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #36
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyr View Post
This may be simplistic is your switch for the batteries in the on position. I know the batteries work with the shore power.
See post #11 OP’s item #4. Then posts 26,33 and 34. The OP was last online 3/15 @4:27pm so he/she had the opportunity to read up to post #17. I am going with dougc905’s post #33.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #37

you know he can read the posts and not reply
vickyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #38
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyr View Post
you know he can read the posts and not reply
Yes, he/she can read posts without signing in and we would never know. But there were a lot of folks trying to help and asking for information that would make it easier to do so. So he/she either did not read the posts, found the answer from one of the earlier posts or forgot where he/she parked.

Other possibilities that one can entertain: He/She electrocuted themself and can no longer reply.
or maybe: He/She found the problem and it was so simple that he/she was too embarrassed to post.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #39
Site Team

In post 11 the OP said "We have an 30amp plug at our house just installed by an electrician." Then when he went to the campground none of the AC powered items worked. This would not be the first time an electrician installed an outlet incorrectly causing damage.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power