RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #61

Maybe I"m missing something, but isn't the router what the tablet talks to? So if there's a router malfunction, what makes you think your phone will still do the job of the tablet??

If you meant to say if the TABLET has a malfunction you can still use your phone, I get it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #62

i was at a dealer on Saturday and he was showing me a 29ft Class C (don't remember the model, but it had a dinette on one side and theater recliners on other).

We asked to see how much space there was with the slide retracted. He went to the tablet and when he went to the control panel area (can't remember the exact name, but it was the time menu choice I believe) it was blank. They could go into the help and other areas and it was fine, but the area where you would normally operate the coach, it was a blank screen. They rebooted it. Powered it off and on. Turned power on and off. Nothing. They were never able to retract the slides.

They didn't try the tablet in the bedroom, so I don't know if that would have been different. I actually emailed the salesman last night and asked if it was possible to order the coaches with switches.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #63

"We asked to see how much space there was with the slide retracted. He went to the tablet and when he went to the control panel area (can't remember the exact name, but it was the time menu choice I believe) it was blank. They could go into the help and other areas and it was fine, but the area where you would normally operate the coach, it was a blank screen. They rebooted it. Powered it off and on. Turned power on and off. Nothing. They were never able to retract the slides. "

I think this type of scenario may be more common that is what is known to happen in reality and would be one of the reasons I would shy away from using a "high tech" solution as myRV. I'm not saying that there may not be a day when this is actually a better option, but I still consider this to be an "early adopter" option and many of us in that are in the age bubble where we can afford RV's and have the time but are also not early adopter's.

I will also say this. The rational to justify this tech by saying it's been offered in higher end RV's for some time does not hold water here. Many people who are buying $250K+ RV's do not even have a tool kit on board. If something does not work or it breaks, they just call someone to fix it. In my case, as with probably many others in this forum, when your paying <100K for an RV, you are more than likely going to be fixing things on your own when your can. And while I am both very mechanically inclined and technically savvy, if my choice were to buy a 3011 with the myRV system or buying a Sunseeker 3010 without it, I would probably have to go the Sunseeker route. Just my thoughts.......

PS I own a Forester 3011 with switches
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
And while I am both very mechanically inclined and technically savvy, if my choice were to buy a 3011 with the myRV system or buying a Sunseeker 3010 without it, I would probably have to go the Sunseeker route. Just my thoughts.......

PS I own a Forester 3011 with switches
I definitely want the Forester with the rocker switches, but now they are so hard to find. So we've been entertaining purchasing the Sunseeker, however; there are some upgrade differences that Forester has over the Sunseeker that I prefer.

I wish Forest River would just give you the option of ordering either with the MyRV system or switches.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #65

We just passed on the Forester 2801QS and bought a Sunseeker 2800QS because we wanted switches. Just don't trust the technology enough to forgo switches.
pcryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:20 AM   #66

I have been watching this thread because we just traded an 08 Sunseeker 2860 in on a 17 Forester 3051S. I was concerned with the keypad & refrigerator myself so we did buy an extended warranty. Some of you now have me very worried about our new purchase. The walk thru was a complete joke, they spent most of the time showing us storage bins. The salesman at the show we purchased at was very good at explaining and showing how it worked. However we received no information on what to do if it doesn't. We thought we would get that when we picked it up.

It is a very cool toy except for turning on the lights, but I love the one that comes on automatically when the door is opened. I do not have it on my phone yet. In all the books I received nothing on the keypad I think I have to watch tutorials on the keypad. It's cold outside and everything is working fine sitting in the driveway under it's roof.

Wish people who have this system and like it would chime in more. Hopefully is will work as good as the fancy screen in my jeep and be trouble free. They sure have improved in 9 years we bought the old one used and liked it so well we went a little fancier. Hope we don't regret it.

We really just went to the RV show because my husband wanted a new couch & TV antenna, I wanted a backup camera. Well we got it all plus some, best anniversary present ever.

Thanks for all the info even if it is a bit depressing.
Shadow57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:54 AM   #67
2012 Solera

Anyone looked into adding switches as a mod? From the Lippert website, it looks like a simple relay matrix connected to a wireless port by a CanBus. If that is correct, seems it would be simple enough to wire switches in parallel to the relays - once the relay board is identified and accessed.
Also, if the above architecture is correct, seems like "emergency activation" (without doing a switch add mod) of controlled systems could be accomplished with a jumper wire at the relay board...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Anyone looked into adding switches as a mod? From the Lippert website, it looks like a simple relay matrix connected to a wireless port by a CanBus. If that is correct, seems it would be simple enough to wire switches in parallel to the relays - once the relay board is identified and accessed.
Also, if the above architecture is correct, seems like "emergency activation" (without doing a switch add mod) of controlled systems could be accomplished with a jumper wire at the relay board...
I'd guess that wiring switches in parallel, and then routing them to where you would want them (on the wall by the door, for example) would be rather difficult.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow57 View Post
I have been watching this thread because we just traded an 08 Sunseeker 2860 in on a 17 Forester 3051S. I was concerned with the keypad & refrigerator myself so we did buy an extended warranty. Some of you now have me very worried about our new purchase. The walk thru was a complete joke, they spent most of the time showing us storage bins. The salesman at the show we purchased at was very good at explaining and showing how it worked. However we received no information on what to do if it doesn't. We thought we would get that when we picked it up.

It is a very cool toy except for turning on the lights, but I love the one that comes on automatically when the door is opened. I do not have it on my phone yet. In all the books I received nothing on the keypad I think I have to watch tutorials on the keypad. It's cold outside and everything is working fine sitting in the driveway under it's roof.

Wish people who have this system and like it would chime in more. Hopefully is will work as good as the fancy screen in my jeep and be trouble free. They sure have improved in 9 years we bought the old one used and liked it so well we went a little fancier. Hope we don't regret it.

We really just went to the RV show because my husband wanted a new couch & TV antenna, I wanted a backup camera. Well we got it all plus some, best anniversary present ever.

Thanks for all the info even if it is a bit depressing.

I have owned my 2017 3011ds since December and tell you the truth I love the tablet! I mainly use my phone so I can do everything outside while sipping a cocktail. Took my parents to Huntington Beach State Park SC last weekend and my Dad got a kick out of me doing and slides while siting outside talking with him. If your a little tech savvy it won't take you long to understand. I understand people's concerns with the "New" device but I think it's a great step in the right direction. You can still manually operate some systems in case of failure. Lippert even has some good videos on YouTube. Look up Lippert University. Hope this settles your nerves. I was confused and worried at first too!
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #70

Thank you so much Westbound great info I was wanting to hear. I have enough worries after reading all the leaking problems on new units. Course ours was purchased winterized so we still have lots to check out and worry about. Truthfully our nit pick list so far is really not bad at all, and I love the new MH.

Small world our first big trip is going to be Huntington Beach SP April 20th. A trip we already had booked and have never been before. So glad to hear you are enjoying yours, the fancy stuff sure impressed our married kids.

Sure wish it would warm up I would love to use it.
Shadow57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #71

Quote:

This sounds like it might be a good backup plan but I'll be honest....I don't understand a word of what you've said!
Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #72

Let's not fear technology! Sure, there may be some issues, as with everything! I'm sure "back in the day" ......and even sometimes now....LOL....you will hear or read "ACs, Micro waves, electric slides, electric awnings, GPS, LEDs, auto levelers, power steps, solar, power seats, power steering, auto transmissions, cell phones, satellite, etc.....I'll never own those, those things are sure to fail....LOL !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #73
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleysMom View Post
This sounds like it might be a good backup plan but I'll be honest....I don't understand a word of what you've said!
A relay is just an electrically activated switch. A switch typically connects two wires together, or disconnects the same two wires. If the myRV system works the way I think it does, the wires that need to be connected together or disconnected from each other to operate the RV systems are already run to the relay board. They may even be labeled. So, to activate an RV system, one could just connect the wires in question with another wire - a "jumper wire" - or disconnect one of the existing wires (for instance, to turn off a light). Again, this all assumes the system works the way I think it does.

While all this is pretty straightforward, best to get someone with a passing knowledge of electronics/electricity involved - don't want to connect the wrong wires together!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #74

NO way in the world I'm mechanical enough to do any of the above, BUT, if a few important things (like the SLIDE) could be set up with a switch, and the $$$ was anywhere close to reasonable, and even though our MH is a 2017, I would still consider it money well spent!!!

I was worried BEFORE we picked it up, to the point what should have been nothing but excitement/anticipation, was becoming stressful - but after having problems, we are constantly worried...
Old 02-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #75

Quote:
Clueless! I wouldn't want to tackle this, but it would be nice to know if you could wire switches as a backup.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #76
Class C Representative

I will bring up adding switches to the multiplexing system again in today's sales meeting.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
I will bring up adding switches to the multiplexing system again in today's sales meeting.
Could you please find out where the router is located and how you can set it up to the phone? I have downloaded the app but I need a pin # to make it work. Maybe someone could educate the dealers on this system the guy who did our walk thru knew nothing about it at all. Could not tell us much about it, so far everything works but we are very confused if it fails.

I must say he did show us all the storage bins, like I need to know how they work, honestly he spent more time on storage bins than anything else. Very nice guy just totally clueless, we gave up asking questions.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow57 View Post
Could you please find out where the router is located and how you can set it up to the phone? I have downloaded the app but I need a pin # to make it work. Maybe someone could educate the dealers on this system the guy who did our walk thru knew nothing about it at all. Could not tell us much about it, so far everything works but we are very confused if it fails.
Info on location of wireless hub/router would indeed be helpful. We found the sticker for ours with the SSID number and password on the back wall of an upper cabinet over the dinette but haven't actually found the device yet. We did find the Generator Genie and the other "black boxes" that are connected to the MyRV tablet. On our 2861DS they are behind the screwed in cabinet door just inside the coach entry door.

Our generator is turned on and off by the MyRV tablet and there is a "Generator Hours" display but it showed 17 hours when we picked up the unit and it still showed 17 hours after we had run it for more than 8 hours during our 600 mile trip home. I reported this to our dealer (RVW - Laurie in Warranty is very good!) and she sent me some documentation to reprogram the Generator Genie. I could not get the MyRV icon to work (you are supposed to push it 5 times to enter the program). While waiting for Laurie to call me back I phoned Lippert. Once I explained the generator 17 hour issue, he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said they had a bad batch of Generator Genies and it would need to be replaced. When I asked him why pressing the MyRV icon 5 times did not work he said it sounded like we had additional issues with the system and I would need to have this looked at by a Lippert certified dealer. Laurie called me back right after my conversation with Lippert and is now working on what we need to do to have this looked at. The other operations (slides, awning, water heater, lights, etc.) all work fine.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
Let's not fear technology! Sure, there may be some issues, as with everything! I'm sure "back in the day" ......and even sometimes now....LOL....you will hear or read "ACs, Micro waves, electric slides, electric awnings, GPS, LEDs, auto levelers, power steps, solar, power seats, power steering, auto transmissions, cell phones, satellite, etc.....I'll never own those, those things are sure to fail....LOL !
It's not a matter of fearing technology. It's that we are still "back in the day" with THIS technology and some of us don't want to be the guinea pigs!

Old 02-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #80

Thank you so much KaleysMom, great info and don't know how I missed it in the cabinet. I tried to set up phone but my internet connection was down at the time. Tried to do bluetooth but it wanted a 6 digit password, and I don't have anything with just 6 digits. Working on installing app on Ipad and will try it if internet stays on.

I would like to set one up on wifi and one on bluetooth in hopes if one fails the other will work. Can anyone with Forest River confirm that if the router is down the bluetooth would work? That might make some of us guinea pigs feel a little better.