Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #1

Location of Generator Transfer Switch

I have a 2015 Forester 3051S, Gasoline Class C with full slide. The Air-conditioning (AC) will not work with generator supplying power. The AC will work on Shore power. From my research the Automatic Transfer switch (generator transfer switch) it is likely the issue and Forest River Tech help agrees. According to the drawing and information they gave me, the switch is supposed to be under the bed. I pulled the plywood off today to check and there is no switch. There are 2 electrical junction boxes, but no switch. OK I am an IT and Telecoms Engineer so I know the difference between a junction box and a switch .

From my experience RV builders will change location and equipment on models and not necessarily document drawings. I have replied to FR Tech Help and told them it isn't there and provided photos.

Any suggestions where it might be?

Thank you!
drowe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

In my 2012 the ATS is not much bigger than a junction box. The presence of the large black 30 amp cable gives it away. Mine is under the bed. You might need to remove some panels to follow the power cable.
Falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

I appreciate you taking time to reply. I pulled the covers off both junction boxes and there are just wiring with wire nuts in both, no switching equipment. One cable set goes to the Inverter and the other goes under the bed to the undercarriage without any access panels.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #4
2012 Solera

On my 2012 Solera, the transfer switch is technically under the bed, but the only way to access it is through the large right rear outside storage compartment by emptying the compartment and removing the back wall panels. Can’t even see it from inside the Motorhome even after pulling the bed platform out.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #5

The transfer switch (approx. 6” square 4” deep) on a 3051 is in the bay (passenger side two forward from the rear of the coach) where the water filter is located. It is to the immediate right of the filter. You will need to remove the plastic panels to get access to it. There will be 3 runs of 10 gauge romex (Orange) going into it.

Did you check the circuit breaker on the genny itself. It is located to the right of the stop/start switch on the genny but it faces forward so it can be hard to see.

If either the transfer switch or beaker are bad or open you will have no 120VAC power in the coach when on generator . The generator has priority over shore power.

I suspect the generator circuit breaker is tripped rather than a failed transfer switch. But either is the possible cause of your issue.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #6

We have a 2017 3051. Our transfer switch is behind the panel under the refrigerator.
dancort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #7

many of us have had moments when the Generator is running, but there is no power to the coach, or the a/c unit specifically - there are several things to check:

- the easiest: the actual BREAKER on the Generator itself. Regardless of whether the generator cranks and runs, if the breaker is tripped, no power will get to the ATS, and therefore the Main Panel, to power the 120v needs, like the a/c unit.

- second: the Generator connections within the ATS. These connections/wires can sometimes become loose, especially during the first year of RVing. They are tightened at the factory, but due to initial usage where they 'heat up' from use, they can become loose, and lose their ability to pass thru power. With no Shore Power or Generator running, remove the cover of the ATS and apply torque to each screw and wire connection, especially the ones from the incoming 'Generator' side.

Because your a/c units works fine on Shore Power, it makes it clear that the issue is one of these two scenarios.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #8

I really appreciate your help. I checked the generator switch and it is good. That did trip on me once and got no power to entire coach on generator. This time everything is working except the AC. Possible that the contact on switch for generator is bad, but other is good. According to FR the AC is supposed to get 15 amps dedicated and 15 amps for the rest of the coach. In any case it is not under the bed as advised by FR :-)!
Old 06-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #9

Thank you for your help. It is likely the ATS as I checked the Generator CB/Switch. It has popped on me before and had to reset. I first have to find it as it is not under the bed as I was advised by FR. I got a few other suggestions on where to look and will check those locations under refrigerator or next to Water filter bay on right side of coach.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #10

Thank you, I will check there.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #11

As Steve-W said in post 5 it’s behind the removable shrouds in the pax side compartment immediately behind rear wheel.

I’ve been having problems where the switch would not change from generator mode to shore power mode. I had to physically “bump” the box to complete the transfer.

This problem only happens when connecting to shore power without the generator running. When all power is removed the ATS defaults to the generator side. Per instructions from Progressive I cleaned all the contacts. So far so good.

Here’s a picture:

Old 06-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #12

Great! Thanks for the photo! Obviously not under the bed :-). As far as cleaning contacts are they where the cables attach and or can you open the box and clean the switch contacts too?
Old 06-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #13

If you have any 120 VAC power to the coach when the generator is running then the transfer switch is good. There are only 1 set of contacts. on a 50 amp setup it's a different story, but on a 30 amp setup it's all or nothing.

Measure the voltage on the 20 amp breaker for the air cond. in your power distribution box (under the refer) when on shore power and then on generator.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 06-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #14

I have the same model Forester and had trouble with the generator as well. Do you have any 120V AC power with the generator on?

I also suspected the transfer switch but this was not the problem.

It turned out in my case that there was a bad connection on the generator that Cummins fixed.

2023 Jayco 195RB
wolfie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe30 View Post
Great! Thanks for the photo! Obviously not under the bed :-). As far as cleaning contacts are they where the cables attach and or can you open the box and clean the switch contacts too?
The box opens easily and all the contacts are easy to get to. Obviously one has make sure all power is disconnected and generator off.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #16

Great! Thank you again!
Old 06-10-2020, 09:12 PM   #17

You were correct as for the location of the switch, next to the water filter assembly! I took the cover off and cleaned the contacts and that did the trick! Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #18

Great! Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 06-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #19

The switch was exactly where you said it was, thank you! My switch is a different model as it is a few years older. I took the cover off the switch cleaned the contacts, checked to make sure all connections were tight and it worked! Thank you again.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe30 View Post
The switch was exactly where you said it was, thank you! My switch is a different model as it is a few years older. I took the cover off the switch cleaned the contacts, checked to make sure all connections were tight and it worked! Thank you again.
Good. Did you find any sawdust inside the box? First time I opened mine it was obvious the unit was built in Indiana with local labor. Sawdust and trash everywhere.

Tags
cat, generator, location, switch, transfer switch