Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #1

Looking at FR Sunseekers Class C

One of the new RV's we are looking at are some Sunseeker 3010's and 3050's. I have scoured this forum (and board) and see no real posts saying eh or nay. Seems everyone is happy with theirs.

Couple of questions.

Sellers seem to tout the fiberglass top over the rubber ones. Is it hype or legit?

These particular class C's are close to the ground and with one of us having bad back and the other bad knees, these two are easy to get into.

I do not want to start a Class C vs Class A, but the other rig we have basically come down to this class C and a FR3 3050 DS class A.

They both meet our needs perfectly and we have been looking for people with each to see how they like/dislike their rigs.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

I am posting this here and in the FR3 area.

Thanks

Chuck and Katie
katielee31313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Have you taken any of them for a test drive we just recently just traded in our Class A for a Sunseeker mainly it was more comfortable for DW to drive in this type of cab vs sitting high up in Class A
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #3

I have a 2018 3010.
Very satisfied with it except for the fact the refrigerator handles are poorly designed on the 4 door fridge. I have the theater seats which I am satisfied with and I prefer the booth in the 3010 compared to the 3050. More than enough storage both inside and out. Toilet plastic (wish it was porcelain). Also great counter space but they should have put an outlet near the far left of the counter (they have an outlet located right below the counter between the sink and stove). Except for the fridge handles I knew everything else about it before I bought. No buyers remorse.
Frankie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

I have a 2014 Sunseeker 3170 DSF. We purchased new. Overall we love the unit and have just finished a long adventure. All of this listed is my opinion on this unit.

The fiberglass roof is a plus. It is tougher than TPO. Some folks have experienced cracking on the rolled edge but, I have not. It is a bit noisier in a hard rain and acorns dropping. Something you just get used to.

They are close to the ground but, have the seller to level it up and try the step. The C's are naturally low in the front. We carry a folding step to help. Depending on the slope of the campsite, the step can be a bit high.
If you have a leveling system, look at the jacks, they are low and on occasion, I have hit them. Tall speed bumps are a bit of an issue but you soon learn this and adjust

Not sure what the chassis on the FR is, E450 or F53. But on my E450, handling has been an issue. Went through the process of bushing change and alignment at a big truck shop to,get the unit drivable.

Check on the CCC, cargo carrying capacity. This surprised me how much stuff I can carry and not be over weight. I have the longest C at 32' which does not help. We have adjusted to the limitation, so compare this number closely. The A may have more CCC.

On MPG, expect 8.5mpg on a good day and 6.1mpg on a bad day. I get about 7.2mpg consistently.

The cab on the C is noisy during moderate to hard acceleration. Highway speed, it is OK. We can carry on a conversation. Hopefully the doghouse insulation has been improved.

Can't speak to the new 6 speed transmissions but my 5 speed would down shift constantly which, made the cruise control unusable. I installed the Five Star Tune and it fixed everything. This is not necessary but, for me, just made drivability on my coach better. Just test drive and pay attention to the shift points.

On the C's the DW may take issue with the lack of foot room on a long drive. The exhaust is routed under the passenger floor and can get a bit warm. My wife uses a small stool to lift her feet off the floor a bit. Ask the wife if she is happy with her side.

Would I purchase another Sunseeker? Yes. We have had few problems and the ones have been mostly small that I have taken care of my self.

Hope this helps a bit.

This forum is great and full of issues that people have had. Mine around, search and have a good read. I consider these issues to be an exception.

If you have additional questions, please post. The Sunseeker users are not shy.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

Driving comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
Have you taken any of them for a test drive we just recently just traded in our Class A for a Sunseeker mainly it was more comfortable for DW to drive in this type of cab vs sitting high up in Class A
Appreciate the feedback. We have ridden in FR3 but never drove. It is a friends rig and that was how we got to know it.

We have spent months looking and comparing. We have come down to these two as meeting our needs. Since she prefers the lower class c, I plan on driving both the same day so she can compare the ride and comfort from her seat. She has expressed reluctance to drive the class A but not the class C

Chuck
Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Z View Post
I have a 2018 3010.
Very satisfied with it except for the fact the refrigerator handles are poorly designed on the 4 door fridge. I have the theater seats which I am satisfied with and I prefer the booth in the 3010 compared to the 3050. More than enough storage both inside and out. Toilet plastic (wish it was porcelain). Also great counter space but they should have put an outlet near the far left of the counter (they have an outlet located right below the counter between the sink and stove). Except for the fridge handles I knew everything else about it before I bought. No buyers remorse.
Theater seats is what the wife wants. The fridge handles is something I will make note of.

Totally agree on the storage. That was one of the deciding factors. Hmmm. I had not noticed the lack of receptacles. Gotta take a look at that.

Thanks for the input.

Chuck
Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #7

We really enjoy our 2017 , 3010ds . Yes fridge handles were a problem , loose screws , here and there . door gas shock lost gas , just small thing's . Engine , trans , big thing's all been fine . Did change the toilet to a 320 , so much better . You do need to change water supply line a little . Enjoy the recliners , napping. Can't beat the big foot leveling . Would buy again , for us it's the best floor plan.
fred+sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Wow. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I have a 2014 Sunseeker 3170 DSF. We purchased new. Overall we love the unit and have just finished a long adventure. All of this listed is my opinion on this unit.

----(Deleted to save space)----

Would I purchase another Sunseeker? Yes. We have had few problems and the ones have been mostly small that I have taken care of my self.

Hope this helps a bit.

This forum is great and full of issues that people have had. Mine around, search and have a good read. I consider these issues to be an exception.

If you have additional questions, please post. The Sunseeker users are not shy.

I asked for owners opinion so I appreciate your help. You are the first respond about the roof. I did hear that many other RV's use them so they can only be good. As for the rain and acorns, they already drive our sheltie crazy. Maybe we will get her some ear muffs.

Great point about the leveling system. I had appreciated the lower undercarriage but did not consider the leveling jacks.

As for handling, will a repair shop have an idea of what I am saying when I ask them to look at and upgrade the bushings? Or are they gonna send me out for a left handed screwdriver to put them on with?

We had noticed that the CCC was kind of high. We tend to pack light when we travel so until we go full time, it should not be an issue. But it is good to know we have a little wiggle room in the future.

My wife had gotten used to the engine noise of the truck I pull our TT with and just says when she wants quiet, she will go to the back.

I quit trying to use cruise control on my truck when pulling our TT. It drove me crazy. I called the dealer when I first noticed it and they said it was not an issue. I decided just to not use it though.

Great idea on the floor board heat situation. Some times our sheltie likes to crawl up into the front footwell. Maybe she will need to break that habit.

The best point you made was that you would buy again. I appreciate the time you took to provide feedback.

See you on the road.

Chuck and Katie
Old 11-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #9

3010DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred+sherry View Post
We really enjoy our 2017 , 3010ds . Yes fridge handles were a problem , loose screws , here and there . door gas shock lost gas , just small thing's . Engine , trans , big thing's all been fine . Did change the toilet to a 320 , so much better . You do need to change water supply line a little . Enjoy the recliners , napping. Can't beat the big foot leveling . Would buy again , for us it's the best floor plan.
I expect loose screws, molding to come loose, and small things. I can handle the little things. Its the major components you mentioned I worry about.

Love the recliners/theater seats and the automatic leveling systems.

Was there a problem with the water lines? Is there a specific area I might need to look at?

Thanks for the input.

I'm headed to the search link now

Chuck and Katie
Old 11-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #10

The Fords are using the old Twin I Beam system. Strong and tough but late 60's technology.
If the alignment shop is worth its salt, they will not look crossed eyed at you. To get the front to track properly, the straight Ford bushings are replaced with an offset bushings to increase caster. Not a big job and if history serves, FR covers it under warranty. They did mine. The alignment specs are listed on this forum, if needed. My cost 5 years ago was $280 out the door. Now you know, so the dealer can get this done if the new Ford chassis needs it.
Might want to look at the Chevy chassis, if available. I have never been in one. Maybe someone with a Chevy will respond.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #11

You're not going to come to a FR forum and solicit for negative opinions and get a great deal of a response. Even those that may have a negative opinion probably will not share much for fear of being flamed, understandably so.

For my 2 cents, I had my Sunseeker for about 6 months before we moved on from it. It just wasn't for us.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #12

I have a 2016 2801 Forester which is basically the Sunseeker with some bells and whistles. Love the fiberglass roof because I never worry about it ripping and I don't need 10 different products to maintain it. The recliners are an absolute must have. The couch is a worthless box that will abuse your body and can be used for about 4 minutes before uncomfortable pain travels through your joints. The bed which is supposed to be a top quality mattress was uncomfortable. I added a quality foam and pillow topper. The RV is low to the ground. I would personally like it an inch or two higher. The E450 chassis with 6 speed is pure heaven. My RV drives like a comfortable car straight as an arrow. I have the six-way power seat and I recommend it if your driving for long periods. One complaint I have is the lack of 120v outlets in the main coach area. With that said everything is basically 12v in the rig including the TV. I have the full body paint and compared to all my previous RVs I can say it was worth the cost to me. Washes, waxes and shines easily and stills looks like new. Would I buy again....Yes without hesitation.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #13

Love my Sunseeker. I did not get all the bells and whistles back in 2011 but for the most part have been totally satisfied. Sure, screws come out, stuff falls apart and there is always something to address. No different than any other rig. The porcelain toilet and walk around bed were definately selling points. I agree the cab can be noisy while driving but since I am always solo it matters not.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #14

The 3050 models had quite a few threads about slide issues a while back. Better check those out. We have had our 3100 Sunseeker for 4 years now and use it regularly and enjoy it. Seems like getting warranty service is VERY difficult these days so you better find a good dealer that offers prompt service.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #15

I had a 2012 2900 Sunseeker for about 3 years and we really enjoyed it, our particular model was just a little two small for our familty to do anything more than camp in the woods for a few days at a time, any other model would have probably been fine. We were new to RVing and we didn’t know how important the floor plan would turn out to be.
Based on my experience I would consider another Sunseeker, I don’t need a lot of extras and I felt it was a solid motorhome.
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #16

We had to change water line too fit new toilet . We haven't had any problems with driving , it's been fine from the dealership . Maybe they aligned it . Like the fiberglass roof . Easy to wash .
fred+sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #17

I've got 2 shelties in a Sunseeker class C. Those pups are so noisy that roof noise doesn't faze them. The fiberglass roof has taken a beating with fallen limbs and acorns and come thru it unscathed where other roofs would be damaged. The vents weren't so lucky!
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #18

Smile 2015 Sunseeker 2300

I have a 2015 Sunseeker 2300, with the Chevy chassis, 6.0 liter V-8, and six speed auto trans., it's small but mighty!

The Chevy Chassis has no issues with the front end, three inches more leg room, and the dog house isn't to hot to touch!

We just finished a three month tour of all the western provinces of Canada, and the entire Alaska Highway, including the Top of the World Highway in the Yukon that is all gravel!

With the tow haul feature, and the six speed with the 6.0 liter V-8 engine, we had all the power we needed for all the steep terrain in the Yukon!

Total mileage was 9,250 miles round trip from Illinois, and we love our Sunseeker!

We had no issues at all with our Sunseeker and we got 9.5 mph with no issues with the factory tires!

Longhunter
Northern Illinois
2015 Sunseeker 2300
longhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #19

We have a 2016 3010DS. We use it with the grandkids during the summer. In the winter, we use it to winter in Florida. My wife won't drive a class a, but she drives this one and backs it into campsites with ease. What I did when I got it, was replace the sway bars with Roadmaster ones, and replaced the steering stabilizer with a safe-t-plus. This is not really necessary, but it helps.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #20

Having recently traded in our sunseeker 2500ts on the brand new model Forester 3041DSF, I thought I would add my 2c. The sunseeker 2500ts had the U-dinette which we like... others like the 3050 you mention only have the table and benches which definitely did NOT want. The sunseeker 2500ts floorplan did not include a sofa or theater seats. We thought we would be happy lounging on the U dinette, but not really. What appealed to me about the Forester 3041DSF (new for 2019) is the full body paint, first and foremost... no comparison in the appearance between straight gelcoat rigs with decals. But the sunseeker 2500ts had FBP as well. The Forester 3041DSF also has the U-dinette which is what we wanted, but it also had a loveseat on the passenger side, not on a slide. This was critical and can't really find it in other floorplans.

Having the loveseat sitting right on the floor and not on a slide meant it was simple to remove this uncomfortable loveseat, and we replaced it with my kingsize lazy box recliner and a side table which was ideal for me (I am 6'5"). And the wife is perfectly comfortable across the isle lounging in the U-dinette (table up or down) with the dog. The lazy boy is a swivel rocker recliner and fits perfectly since it sits right on the flat floor with no slide floor dimensions to deal with. You could also stick a pair of theater seats in the same spot if you wanted. When you remove the loveseat there's nothing there but an open space and the two sets of seat belts. I removed one and use the other to secure the lazyboy when on the road. Simple matter to unbuckle it and slide it out so it reclines perfectly when camped. Another benefit is that is allows the passenger seat to recline completely.. this was totally blocked by the loveseat.

Both of us have a comfortable viewing angle to viewing the big 40" LED TV which swings out from the bunk above the cockpit. And the new Dish Satellite Wally receiver uses an RF remote control so it operates everything without needing direct line of site to the receiver. Even works perfect from the bedroom. Ours has the four door refrigerator which we love, and it may be new for 2019 as we have no problem at all with the handles as others have reported.

Forester and Sunseeker offer very comparable models, though Sunseeker has not released anything just like the 3041 as yet. Now having owned both, I will say I do notice a slight upgrade in Forester fit and finish. Not a huge difference but it is there... a bit like a Ford and comparable Mercury model. My wife loves the walkin closet in the bedroom. Forester uses the Lippert autoleveling system where our sunseeker had the bigfoot. The Bigfoot was OK, but Lippert is definitely better, as you can tweak it once you've completed autoleveling, something you cannot do with the bigfoot. We were used to this feature with HWH leveling on a previous Class A, and find it indispensable.

Upgrades we've added are a ceramic oval Dometic 320 toilet, a higher tinted dome over the shower for better head clearance, HDMI wiring to the bedroom TV, Garmin GPS, and Dill Air TPMS or tire pressure monitor system using internal sensors and dash mounted LED display showing tire pressures and temperatures in a constant readout, a critical safety addition, IMHO.

2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, sunseeker