Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2023, 05:48 PM   #1

Looking for some feedback regarding new tires

My OEM tires are starting to dry rot slightly so it's time to replace them. I can't complain too much, my Forester 2301 is a 2015 model so the tires are probably 9 years old.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between Cooper Discoverer HT3, Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse HT/LT, Michelin Agilis Crossclimate or Toyo Open Country HT II. I figure without shopping around that the Michelin will be more expensive, but I could probably live with that. I don't mind paying for quality, I just don't want to pay for merchandising or hype.

My primary concerns are ride comfort, wet weather handling, quiet ride on the highway and the ability to handle a little snow in case I get caught on the road in the winter. I don't need a 70k mile warranty as the tires will age out before I get to that mileage number.

My Forester has a GVWR of 12,500 so I don't think I need to go with a commercial grade tire, I think a 10ply E rated tire will work as that's what the Generals currently mounted are.

Anyone with any of the tires I listed care to share your thoughts, likes, dislikes, loves, hates? I searched on the forum and it seems that most of the tire threads are for trailers or class A rigs. I really couldn't find a lot for Class C tires.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:55 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
My OEM tires are starting to dry rot slightly so it's time to replace them. I can't complain too much, my Forester 2301 is a 2015 model so the tires are probably 9 years old.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between Cooper Discoverer HT3, Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse HT/LT, Michelin Agilis Crossclimate or Toyo Open Country HT II. I figure without shopping around that the Michelin will be more expensive, but I could probably live with that. I don't mind paying for quality, I just don't want to pay for merchandising or hype.

My primary concerns are ride comfort, wet weather handling, quiet ride on the highway and the ability to handle a little snow in case I get caught on the road in the winter. I don't need a 70k mile warranty as the tires will age out before I get to that mileage number.

My Forester has a GVWR of 12,500 so I don't think I need to go with a commercial grade tire, I think a 10ply E rated tire will work as that's what the Generals currently mounted are.

Anyone with any of the tires I listed care to share your thoughts, likes, dislikes, loves, hates? I searched on the forum and it seems that most of the tire threads are for trailers or class A rigs. I really couldn't find a lot for Class C tires.
A lot of today’s Class C motorhomes are equipped with Hankook Dynapro tires, including our 2018 Sunseeker . Personally, I find them very satisfying for handling and wear. With tons of years of motorcycle and performance car experience, I probably expect more out of a tire than most, even with my RV.
Check out the lots close to you, and see what they have on their Class C motorhomes.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:

Look at the continental terrain track HT . better wet traction then the michlins , great tread wear , quite , nice ride and i think better then all the tires you listed . IMO.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
A lot of today’s Class C motorhomes are equipped with Hankook Dynapro tires, including our 2018 Sunseeker . Personally, I find them very satisfying for handling and wear. With tons of years of motorcycle and performance car experience, I probably expect more out of a tire than most, even with my RV.
Check out the lots close to you, and see what they have on their Class C motorhomes.

I like Hankook tires, I had the Dynapro ATMs on my last pickup and on my Toyota FJ Cruiser, great tires that wore like iron. I checked out the Dynapro HT and unfortunately they don't have them in a LT225/75/16 which is the size I need. I'm going to have to research if I can put a different size tire on the rig without messing up the steering geometry. It's based on a Chevy Express 4500 so I'll have to see what other tire sizes fit correctly for that chassis.

Skip & Deb
Old 05-29-2023, 08:15 AM   #5

OK, here's another question. Stock tire size is 225/75/16 but when I searched for tire sizes for a Chevy Express 4500 the listing I found for the same year 3500 (they don't list the 4500 for some reason) says that a 245/75/16 will fit. What size tires are coming on the newer model Chevy Class C rigs, anyone know?

Skip & Deb
Old 05-29-2023, 08:50 AM   #6

Don't remember what model Michelin tire came on my 2016 3010 DS but I replaced them with the Agils Cross Climates. My first encounter was with mud. I got into a spot where I thought there was no way out without a tow. The Cross Climates went through not easily but I don't feel the stock tires tread pattern was agressive enough to do it. Two weeks ago I spent about three hours traveling in torrential downpours about half of it through the Missouri and Arkansas Ozarks. A bunch of steep winding curves, some nearly 180 degrees and no traction issues. Also towing a car. Two things different from the stock tires, they look underinflated when the pressure is correct and they are slightly noisier that the stock tires. Not bad noisier but noticeable at first. Guess I got used to it. Heck, Class C's arent real quiet anyway.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:02 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies.

I made a command decision - I'm going with the Hankooks. Best bang for the buck considering they'll need to be replaced by time before wearing out the tread. I found out that they do make them in 225/75/16E. That's the size on there now...but.....is there any benefit to going up one size to 245/75/16? Those tires are 1" taller so it will only raise the rig up 1/2" more from the ground.

The strange thing is I ran my VIN and it's an Express 4500 cab/chassis. If I look for tires for a 2014 Express 3500 - nobody lists the 4500 as a choice - they all come back with 245/75/16E as the standard size.

I go oversized on my Jeep Wrangler but that's a different beast. Is there a benefit going up one size or will I be creating problems I don't need to deal with?

Skip & Deb
Old 05-29-2023, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:

I made a command decision - I'm going with the Hankooks. Best bang for the buck considering they'll need to be replaced by time before wearing out the tread. I found out that they do make them in 225/75/16E. That's the size on there now...but.....is there any benefit to going up one size to 245/75/16? Those tires are 1" taller so it will only raise the rig up 1/2" more from the ground.

The strange thing is I ran my VIN and it's an Express 4500 cab/chassis. If I look for tires for a 2014 Express 3500 - nobody lists the 4500 as a choice - they all come back with 245/75/16E as the standard size.

I go oversized on my Jeep Wrangler but that's a different beast. Is there a benefit going up one size or will I be creating problems I don't need to deal with?
If you’re not attempting to solve any problems, I see no reason to deviate from the stock tire size and load rating.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:27 PM   #9

You will get all kinds of opinions on what type or brand to use. The only tires that I can not recommend are Michelin tires (I have had nothing but trouble and they wear out fast).

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:30 PM   #10

Quote:

The issue is the width of the tire, 245 is about 3/4 inch wider than the 225 which would reduce the clearance between the rear dually tires by about 3/4 inch. Look at the clearance between your 225 rear tires when under normal load, I bet it is less than 3/4 inches.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:27 AM   #11

Had 6 Cooper HT3's installed in 2016.
2006 Sunseeker 2860DS.
Very happy with them. Great handling, smooth and quiet ride. They are fine in the rain.
They were fine for last season. Haven't had them checked out by my shop this year yet but there's no cracking and plenty of tread.
I believe they will be good this season.
I typically run about 500-1000 lbs under my 20,000 lb Gross Carry weight.

OE was Michelin. Had Goodyears and Firestones previously - don't know if either make a step van tire in this size anymore. The Firestones were a bit rough riding if I remember correctly
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
The issue is the width of the tire, 245 is about 3/4 inch wider than the 225 which would reduce the clearance between the rear dually tires by about 3/4 inch. Look at the clearance between your 225 rear tires when under normal load, I bet it is less than 3/4 inches.
This is very important - GM wheels are fairly close anyway; my original Generals were always kissing unless I kept them at 80 psi. Tire kiss heats sidewalls and can lead to premature tire failure.

When I replaced the tires on our 2016 2250 Sunseeker, I went to Bridgestone Duravis R500HD commercial tires in the original 225/75 R16 size. They ride softer than I expected, and tend to have some squirm and under/oversteer issues, particularly when towing.

If you want to change sizes, move to a 215/85 R16 rather than the 225/75. These are a bit taller but narrower, so are well suited for duals. I use that size on my 2012 GMC Canyon rather than the oddly sized 235/75 R16; those are the Continental Vanco Four season. They would serve well as Class C tires.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:32 PM   #13

Carlisle
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:43 PM   #14

Looking for some feedback regarding new tires

Deleted
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:30 AM   #15

I also have a Chevy Express unfinished chassis that is a 4500 per the VIN but most places I try to order only list 3500. For tires, I searched for tire size not make/model. Interestingly, my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store does list the 4500 as an option. You are not alone.
mmmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:59 AM   #16

Got the new tires yesterday. I went with the Hankook Dynapro HT in the OEM size of 225/75/16. I’ve had Hankooks on other vehicles and they worked really well so I’m hoping that these will work as well. One thing I did do was order the DuallyWheel one piece extension kit for the rear. I had the rubber extenders with the woven wire sleeve on the valves. Last January enroute to Florida one of the brackets holding them in place broke off when the pop rivets securing the bracket to the wheel simulator sheared off. I was fortunate to catch it as soon as it happened with no damage other than the rivets. Now I have a one piece metal extension that is part of the valve to mount my TPMS caps on. I appreciate everyone’s input. There’s a lot of valuable knowledge available here in the forum.

Skip & Deb
Old 06-08-2023, 08:24 AM   #17

I always want to love Michelin, but on vehicles that don't get driven much the sidewalls always seem to crack on me long before the tire tread is worn to the point the tire needs replacement.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:41 PM   #18

I just replaced my Forester tires with Mastercraft (IS made by Cooper) Have put 5000 miles on them with some torrential rain and am very happy Quiet and smooth ride.
95impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Got the new tires yesterday. I went with the Hankook Dynapro HT in the OEM size of 225/75/16. I’ve had Hankooks on other vehicles and they worked really well so I’m hoping that these will work as well. One thing I did do was order the DuallyWheel one piece extension kit for the rear. I had the rubber extenders with the woven wire sleeve on the valves. Last January enroute to Florida one of the brackets holding them in place broke off when the pop rivets securing the bracket to the wheel simulator sheared off. I was fortunate to catch it as soon as it happened with no damage other than the rivets. Now I have a one piece metal extension that is part of the valve to mount my TPMS caps on. I appreciate everyone’s input. There’s a lot of valuable knowledge available here in the forum.
I need a set of those exact tires. Where did you buy them and how much out the door for 6? Also, did they only balance the fronts?
Buckeye Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Dad View Post
I need a set of those exact tires. Where did you buy them and how much out the door for 6? Also, did they only balance the fronts?
I got them at my local Chevy dealer. We have to have all vehicles inspected every year so I had them do the tires at the same time. $1,198.00 for all 6 mounted and balanced. The dealer advertises that they price match. I found the same tires for $1,199 at the state’s largest discount tire shop. The Chevy dealer called them, verified the price and sold them to me for $1 less.

Tags
tire, tires