Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 07:42 AM   #1

Lots of water entering inside through Roof AC

Hi folks,
I’m wondering if anybody here has dealt with this issue before. They house AC system has been leaking quite a bit of water into the cabin - enough to require so plastic mixing bowls be placed under the unit to catch all of the water.

It will sometimes just be a slow drip - then sometimes it’ll almost pour for 10-15 seconds and then go back to dripping.

This morning I turned the house AC off at the thermostat and water poured from the unit for about 20 seconds. I took a pic of both sides of the ceiling panel and on the second pic you can actually see the water droplets collecting on the unit.

Has anybody successfully dealt with this before?

Thank you,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1A01D8E-9180-48D7-97B5-C9241560C90B.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	273632   Click image for larger version

Name:	6AF24C1F-26F7-4355-AB6F-409C7E767B21.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	273633  
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:55 AM   #2

I just pulled out the air filter to clean it and I noticed only the first two rows of screens had any dirt on them, the rest were crystal clear. Could that possibly mean that the intake is not fully operational and therefore is creating some sort of a condensation issue by not being able to breathe freely enough?

I am pretty much grasping at straws at this point haha.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:00 AM   #3

Photo to better explain my useless words about the filter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	884AACC3-41C2-47F1-AE03-B8B7C6D60FBB.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	273634  
Old 05-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #4

I’m not sure because you didn’t identify the year and model of the a/c. However, it is a known problem with some models of Dometic/Atwood air units. There is a service bulletin 3315930.010. If you call Dometic I’m sure they will help you fix the problem.

800-544-4881.

See this thread for detailed info: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...r3-169184.html

In the meantime, make sure the filter is clean. It’s a small filter usually requiring cleaning every 40-50 hours of use.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:07 AM   #5

Just saw your picture of the filter. It is dirtier than I’ve ever seen. It’s likely to be your problem.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the heads up on the service bulletin, I’ll check it out.

In the meantime, the inside Filter is cleaned. Went on the roof and took off the cover to see if the drains were perhaps blocked. I saw some dirt so I blew it out - however the tray itself was dry.

Came back inside and ran the AC and frustratingly I see water collecting on the leading edge of the foam material on the bottom side of the unit. Pic attached.
From the stains on the foam it looks like it’s been happening for quite a while.

There are two Louvers on the ceiling unit that can be opened or closed - I’m wondering what position, if any, that those could be in which would lead to a larger propensity of condensation collecting on the underside of the unit.

A call to the manufacturer is in order I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	273871  
Old 05-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #7

Interior panel says Atwood Air Command
Old 05-21-2022, 10:49 AM   #8

your drain pan may be blocked?

2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Got a T Shirt and a hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinfla2 View Post
Interior panel says Atwood Air Command
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1998511

The most important piece of this is that your A/C filter must be a weekly service item. Even with the updated filter and shroud you can still get rained on.

You also need to establish that your condenser and evaporator coils are clean. So up up up to the roof with a reed and prince screwdriver in hand and some coil cleaner + soft brush. The cover tilts up and forward from the back to remove. Checking the drain holes like Lucy suggested while you are there would be a good thing.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:30 AM   #10

Only first 2 rows get dirty

I have an Air Commander 13.5K A/C in my 2019 Sunseeker. I've only had water leak once and discovered filter was very dirty. Cleaning fix the problem (so far). I now clean filter regularly but mine too has only ever shown dirt/dust on first two rows. Not sure what that is about. Haven't really explored yet but good to know I'm not the only one.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
rb_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #11
NXR

Assuming you have the standard Atwood roof units, remove the inside panel with the filter and the other one with the dump vents. You'll see four bolts, one in each corner. Ours are 11/16"

Those four bolts should be checked for tightness once a year as they will loosen up. There is a foam gasket on the roof between the roof and the roof unit. That foam gasket needs to be partially compressed.

If those bolts are loose then water will get inside the motorhome. Some people have posted videos of it literally raining inside from the air conditioner when those bolts are loose. If the bolts are cranked down tight then the foam gasket will be squashed and water will get inside the motorhome.

But Atwood did not leave enough room in the thin plastic frame screwed to the ceiling on ours to be able to place a socket directly on the bolt heads.

If you have that bolt head access problem, remove the screws holding the plastic frame to the ceiling and use a file to enlarge the holes so you can place a socket on each bolt head without needing to remove the frame in the future. Then screw the panel back to the ceiling.

Those four bolts should be torqued to 4.4 ft lbs (four point four, not forty four). That's not super tight, just snugged up.

4.4 ft lbs is not much torque. I just put a socket on each bolt and tighten them until they feel snug. DO NOT fully tighten them.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 05-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #12

Air Command restricted air flow

Quote:
Hi folks,
I’m wondering if anybody here has dealt with this issue before. They house AC system has been leaking quite a bit of water into the cabin - enough to require so plastic mixing bowls be placed under the unit to catch all of the water.

It will sometimes just be a slow drip - then sometimes it’ll almost pour for 10-15 seconds and then go back to dripping.

This morning I turned the house AC off at the thermostat and water poured from the unit for about 20 seconds. I took a pic of both sides of the ceiling panel and on the second pic you can actually see the water droplets collecting on the unit.

Has anybody successfully dealt with this before?

Thank you,
Tim
The Air Command restricted air flow return air grill will cause this. Contact Dometic and they will replace with better return air with better return air flow.
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:41 PM   #13

Hey folks, just to put a bow on things - so after cleaning the filter and going up on the roof and spraying out all of the gunk in the drain channel, it’s been bone dry.

So I don’t know what fixed it maybe both but I truly appreciate everybody’s advice and help.

Thank you!
Old 05-23-2022, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Hey folks, just to put a bow on things - so after cleaning the filter and going up on the roof and spraying out all of the gunk in the drain channel, it’s been bone dry.

So I don’t know what fixed it maybe both but I truly appreciate everybody’s advice and help.

Thank you!
Great. Thanks for the update.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
The Air Command restricted air flow return air grill will cause this. Contact Dometic and they will replace with better return air with better return air flow.
Dometic should provide a new return air and trim to cover the original mounting holes. The new return air has a better filter and much easier to clean.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
Dometic should provide a new return air and trim to cover the original mounting holes. The new return air has a better filter and much easier to clean.
Hi Al - should I just call Dometic and see what they say? I'd be surprised they'd replace that on a unit that's almost 9 years old but hey, I'd sure appreciate it if they came through :-)
Old 05-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #17

I'd say you should clean the coil. The picture shows a lot of dust and dirt collected on the wires, those wires are IN the return air path, downstream of the filter, next stop for the air is the coil.

When you turned off the unit and it "poured" water, that indicates a negative pressure in the plenum, which holds the water back from the drain, when the fan is off that pressure is relieved and the water may be overflowing the pan. Since cleaning the filter resolved the issue I'm pretty certain this is the proper solution. You reduced the problem by cleaning the filter but it will come back soon if the coils is dirty.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Hi Al - should I just call Dometic and see what they say? I'd be surprised they'd replace that on a unit that's almost 9 years old but hey, I'd sure appreciate it if they came through :-)
Call or email Dometic Retail customer service about a problem of water leaking into the coach when AC ( Air Command ) shuts off. Dometic should provide new return and trim kit. Ask for Holly she is a lady with a heart and that Al McGuire sent ya.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #19

I have not read all this...I did have this...Remove inside covers and outside cover and check if the drain holes on the drain "cookie" holes are not plugged to allow water to get to the roof
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #20
Commercial Member

thank you to everyone for the helpful tips
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, water