Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Loud Banging Sound

I have a 2015 Forest River Sunseeker 2800 Motorhome. Two weeks ago when traveling in New York, I hit a big pit hole and developed a banging noise above the drivers seat and between the left slide. It sounds like something's hanging by a cord and bangs against the fiberglass wind fairing.

I saw a similar posting with the same problem but did not see an answer on what the problem is. Can someone owning a newer Sunseeker motorhome help me?
texasblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Is the noise coming from around the curved exterior panel behind the drivers door? Here are my ideas of what to check out:

The first thing I'd look at is the storage drawers below the dinette seat. Check to see if something shifted, fell out of the drawer and is rolling around, or if one of the seat belts is flopping around.

Then next the generator compartment since it is directly below that area. That curved exterior panel would make a good echo camber.

Have you used your dinette slide out since the noise started? One of the electric motors could have come loose at the top of the slide out.

I'd also make sure nothing shifted in the over cab storage areas...

You might want to ask in this thread as well as it is where most of the GTS owners hang out. There are some very good mods in it...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:18 AM   #3

I really appreciate your feedback. When we were on the road, I did check under the dinette seats. I removed the seat panels and nothing was loose inside the two compartments. I also removed everything from the storage compartments above the cab area. The noise was still there. I also checked but did not see anything loose in the generator area. The banging noise is coming towards the top of the wall between the drivers seat and the dinette slide. It sounds like it is higher than the curved area immediately behind the drivers seat. By the way, I did open and close the slide many times during our trip and it seemed to open and close ok after the banging started.

How many motors do slides normally have? I see that there is a slide track on each side of the slide. One is towards the top and bottom of the slide. Does this indicate that there are four slide motors. One on each side top and bottom.

Can you tell me how to check the top drivers side slide motor to see if it has came loose and is creating the banging or is it best to take to a repair shop.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Team

It sounds like it isn't anything to do with the slide out. But watch this video on Youtube for info on the system and how you can check it.

There are several videos Lippert has posted on the slide system that are well worth watching.

There isn't much space in that area, above and behind the drivers seat, for anything to get loose. I don't know of anything that FR installs in the dead areas, the far left and right trim panels, in the over cab storage. But it might be worth carefully prying off the panel and looking. If nothing else it might be a good hidden storage area...

Have you looked on the roof for anything loose? Are all of the clearance lights still in the mounts?

The weird things about noises is they don't necessarily originate from where you hear them...
Old 11-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

Thanks for all you help. I checked and the slide motor is intact so there is some other issue. I have an appointment this Wednesday to get it checked out. I will let you know what they find.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #6

Hew RedLrd1. I took my Sunseeker to Camping World and explained to them the banging noise. I also told them what I checked on the slide. After $159.00, they could not find the problem. Of course, the banging noise was not present while they had it but about 20 miles from them coming home it started again.

Do you know how the curved area behind the drivers seat is removed? I see a number of tabs in the panel so I expect they are some push in holders but I am not sure. I do not want to mess something up trying to remove the panel to see if I can look in the hollow area between the wall and outside wind faring.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Just to be sure are you referring to the door trim, installed by Ford, or the FR installed wall panel. If it is the plastic door trim any Ford dealers parts department should be able to show you a parts breakdown. Try pulling on your seat belts shoulder strap the next time it starts banging and see if that does anything.

I'll be out at our GTS later today, or tomorrow, and take a look at that area.....
Old 11-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

The curved panel behind and to the left side of the drivers seat. It goes from the floor up to under the storage cabinets and cab headliner.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
Site Team

Okay, I just looked at our GTS. That panel is only held on by a few trim screws. Just carefully remove the snap on screw head covers and it should be very easy to remove.

I thinking those panels would be a great place to mount a couple recessed magazine holders or cargo nets....
Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
Senior Members

Texasblues did you find out what is causing the banging noise as I am experiencing the same problem.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #11

I had a similar banging which seemed to come from the passenger side behind the sear on my Forester. I think I found the source. I won't know until I take it out in the spring. Under the dash, on the passenger side there is a hollow tube. .Next to the tube was an unsecured wire. .when .i shake the wire and bang it against the tube, it sounds like what I heard. ?I an not remember if it was the wire or something attached to it that was banging against the tube on bumpy roads. .i secured it with a wire tie.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #12

Texasblues here. Got sick and have not been able to work on the banging noise. Better now so I will start to investigate again.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #13

Butch and Lena. Please keep me advised if you find out what is causing your banging noise. I will do the same