Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Wink Low point drain location

I recently bought a 2013 Sunseeker 2050LE. I noticed while looking at various motorhomes on dealers lots that many had a label indicating whee the low point drain is located.

My Sunseeker does not have that label. Can anyone tell me if it has a low point drain and if so where it is located.

This is my first RV and I now have about two weeks of limited experience.

I will say that there are a lot of scary posts regarding Forest River products but my unit seems to be well built and is a joy to drive. It has the Chevy 4500 chassis.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I recently bought a 2013 Sunseeker 2050LE. I noticed while looking at various motorhomes on dealers lots that many had a label indicating whee the low point drain is located.

My Sunseeker does not have that label. Can anyone tell me if it has a low point drain and if so where it is located.

This is my first RV and I now have about two weeks of limited experience.

I will say that there are a lot of scary posts regarding Forest River products but my unit seems to be well built and is a joy to drive. It has the Chevy 4500 chassis.
I think that people are more likely to post "scary" things like the problems they have, rather than the countless people that do not post anything about the good things about their units and the lack of problems. It's just human nature to focus on the problems, rather than the lack of problems.

We are hoping to buy our first new Class C and have a Forester 3051S in mind. I'm sure we will have some hopefully minior problems too, but the good should outweigh the bad.

Good luck and have fun...
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

The standard location for the low point drain on a Sunseeker is on the passenger side behind the rear wheel. If you look under there you will see a blue tube without a screw on cap and a red tube with a cap, the red tube is the low point drain. There is a storage compartment there with a door on the back wall, if you open this you will see your water pump and filter. and the drain valve for your fresh water tank. We have owned two Sunseekers we bought of them new, the first one, a 2300, had an air shock that leaked (loose connection) and they had to replace the microwave. Our new one is a 2700DS and so far my only complaint is a hard to open microwave, and some poorly installed drawer latches.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

Thanks, i will be looking for that later today.
Is this storage compartment under the vehicle or is it the one on the passenger side near the back bumper?

The standard location for the low point drain on a Sunseeker is on the passenger side behind the rear wheel. If you look under there you will see a blue tube without a screw on cap and a red tube with a cap, the red tube is the low point drain. There is a storage compartment there with a door on the back wall, if you open this you will see your water pump and filter. and the drain valve for your fresh water tank. We have owned two Sunseekers we bought of them new, the first one, a 2300, had an air shock that leaked (loose connection) and they had to replace the microwave. Our new one is a 2700DS and so far my only complaint is a hard to open microwave, and some poorly installed drawer latches.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlf65 View Post
Not all Sunseekers are the same. I have a low point drain on both sides of the RV. They're also white, not color-coded. My recommendation is to crawl underneath and look for hoses with caps on the end. Also, my filter and pump system are underneath the bed with a small door at the base of the bed.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlf65 View Post
Is the low point drain the same as the drain for the fresh water tank? I also have a 2013 Sunseeker 2050LE on a Chevy 4500 chassis. In mine, the drain for the fresh water tank is under the bed, I have to extend the slideout, remove the mattress and flip up the bottom half of the bed (which is a royal pain). That's what the dealer showed me when I asked about draining the water lines for winterizing. Is there another drain that I am not aware of?
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #7

My Sunseeker 2860DS has the lowpoint drain right where tlf65 says it is, behind the rear passenger tires. There is a capped red tube for the plumbing drain and an uncapped blue tube for the freshwater tank drain.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #8

In my 3010DS, the low water drain is in the same place as my water filter, and almost directly next to where the fresh water tank and fill is located.
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

Remember there are (atleast) two low point drains, one for the water tank and one for hot water. I suggest you replace the plastic end cap for the HW and replace it a valve. Take a look at pic 29 I think on my misc album. If you lose the pressure cap (normally under the coach) you will lose HW and you will have to isolate the HW using the bypass if you still want any water service. I run both (new) values from the water cabinet in a 2300 and they both drain at the rear of the coach....so I dont stand in water when it drains! This mod was less than 15 bucks for the two values, a can of great foam (pest resistent) , a couple of sticks of pex, and (ouch) the pex fitings...

Gmacklem I see your in GA, I am just north of Newnan, what about you?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
KAS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Is the low point drain the same as the drain for the fresh water tank? I also have a 2013 Sunseeker 2050LE on a Chevy 4500 chassis. In mine, the drain for the fresh water tank is under the bed, I have to extend the slideout, remove the mattress and flip up the bottom half of the bed (which is a royal pain). That's what the dealer showed me when I asked about draining the water lines for winterizing. Is there another drain that I am not aware of?

Found them, they are between the door and the propane tank in font of the rear tires. I guess I was lucky they are intact after 2 winters, since I never knew they existed and therefore never opened them when winterizing. They have caps but no shutoff valves.
I guess the dealer figured I would either bring the MH to him for winterizing ($150!) or learn the hard way by having to have him repair burst pipes later (more $$$).
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #11

The valve conversion can be made anywhere on the coach, maybe move both externally and skip the bed routine. Too bad westATL is out of reach. I would do the mod for parts and a ribeye from Texas Roadhouse...
Old 09-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Gmacklem I see your in GA, I am just north of Newnan, what about you?
I am in Marietta.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #13

the fix is in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I am in Marietta.
Your house or mine?.. I got the pex tool, just need to make a home depot run... and find the roadhouse near you..
Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Your house or mine?.. I got the pex tool, just need to make a home depot run... and find the roadhouse near you..
I like what you did. My cold water/fresh water tank line already has a valve by my hot water line just has the cap. Does seem strange that an RV made for colder weather would have that pipe exposed with water in it. I don't have any cold weather trips planned this year, but will be interested in doing that mod sometime.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #15

update to my original post

I was checking out my new propane tank when I accidentally noticed what appears to be red and blue drain lines forward of the propane tank but rear of the coach door. The lines are visible through the propane compartment. It looks like thee are caps on the bottom of these lines. see photos.

After the dealer winterized my 2013 2250 SLE, on the way home I noticed a stream of water pouring out of the vehicle forward of the dump pipe, under the slide out. later I opened up an access doorway in the left rear compartment and saw another blue line with a valve that was left open. The dealer said they leave this open on purpose.

I am thinking this is another fresh water drain and the others are to drain the water that is already in the water lines. See photos.

Hope these photos show up.

Comments are welcome to confirm what I said or to correct my conclusions.
Attached Images

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #16

Sorry, 3 these photos got turned sideways while posting.

I will try to post again below.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #17

Sorry again, the two photos of the propane compartment are not posting correctly.

Maybe I should go to bed.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:06 AM   #18

The one they said they leave open on purpose was most likely the fresh water tank drain. It would be odd if they didn't drain it all out on site, but some residual water on the bottom of the tank that wouldn't come out sitting still would come out as the unit is jostled about while driving. You should check it out and make sure you know what it is - you will need to know this for the future. (Come spring or if it's not freezing there yet, an easy test is add a couple of gallons through the fresh water fill port and it should run right out that tube when the valve is open. But if you do that before spring, be sure to drive around again with the valve open to drain it all out. PS: If it doesn't run right out that tube, be sure to find the drain valve and drain it!)

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 11-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #19

Yeah, they said they never let the fresh water drain at the dealership.

I was hesitant to put some water in the tank but I probably should. It has been dropping below freezing here for the past week but it warms up in daylight.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Yeah, they said they never let the fresh water drain at the dealership.

I was hesitant to put some water in the tank but I probably should. It has been dropping below freezing here for the past week but it warms up in daylight.
I have to ask!

Who said that?

Tags
cat, drain, location