Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Lucky lucky lucky

After spending the winter in the southern states we had to come back to the Midwest to take care of some business. Well, it’s April and we had a few cold nights. 14 degrees one night! Not a problem! I was impressed that just running the furnace a little would prevent it from freezing! It works, until you run out of LP. Of course that was on a Saturday night and no place to get LP anywhere close at all. I looked at the water system in the basement and the damage was done. The waterpur filter housing and the prescreen housing appeared to be all that froze and broke. I did have the shower handle break as well but that is all that burst so I consider myself lucky lucky lucky! I guess I was shocked that I went through so much LP so fast. Lesson learned.

Alan
Old 04-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #2

If you're connected to shore power, you might consider using a small 1500watt heater. You'd be amazed how much propane can be saved by running one of those on the floor of the coach and using leaving the propane furnace to kick on for what the space heater can't do.

Glad nothing major happened.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
If you're connected to shore power, you might consider using a small 1500watt heater. You'd be amazed how much propane can be saved by running one of those on the floor of the coach and using leaving the propane furnace to kick on for what the space heater can't do.

Glad nothing major happened.

I am glad as well. Thanks! I did have an electric heater inside but I needed warm air down to the water area by way of the ducting hence the reason I ran the furnace. I had it set at 48 so I was impressed at how it worked so well! It could have been much worse!
Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

You are lucky. You might want to consider an “extend a stay” adapter on your propane tank fitting. That would have enabled you to hook up a 20# bottle that you can get at the corner convienient store.
Reference: Installing a Camco 59123 4 port brass tee (Extend-A-Stay).
Old 04-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Wow! I've not heard of this! It would have been a great back up plan. Not only that I've been wanting to hook my grill up to the tank as we normally don't use a lot of LP and I don't want to carry a large tank and the little tanks don't last long. Thank you very much for this! Much appreciated.

Alan
Old 04-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

We also have the 2300. The electric heater we use is off of ama$on. It store nicely in the water filter bay. Just my 2 cents...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
We also have the 2300. The electric heater we use is off of ama$on. It store nicely in the water filter bay. Just my 2 cents...

The fact of the matter is I was too lazy to check the LP level. I have a big electric heater for inside cabin but I don’t have one for the water bay. That will be nice addition in the future. I rarely am out when the temps are below freezing but this spring has just been ridiculous! Supposed to get snow this weekend and we are back to freezing temps again! 77 Friday! Enough winter already!! Lol!

Alan
Old 04-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #8

extend a stay

We have a 3010DS with an extend a stay. We leave Vermont in January to head down south. Usually we take a day or two to get the RV ready for travel. One night at 0 deg can blow through a 20lb tank so you have to keep your eye on it and have some spares on hand. We use a quilt to separate the cab area, insulation pads in all the vents & draw down the window shades. Even with all that in the teens or lower you will use lots of propane. You do need to run the furnace to get the warm air circulating in the basement.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by kins83 View Post
We have a 3010DS with an extend a stay. We leave Vermont in January to head down south. Usually we take a day or two to get the RV ready for travel. One night at 0 deg can blow through a 20lb tank so you have to keep your eye on it and have some spares on hand. We use a quilt to separate the cab area, insulation pads in all the vents & draw down the window shades. Even with all that in the teens or lower you will use lots of propane. You do need to run the furnace to get the warm air circulating in the basement.

If I had had any idea that we were going to be below freezing for weeks I would have just winterized it. This spring has just been unreal!
Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #10

temp gizmo

Take a look at my albums. I bought a duct switch from Homdep. I rarley winterize btw our winter trips and with brooder lamp the water bay stays well in the 40s....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

If you rely on forced air from the furnace to keep the water bay warm and you use a electric heater to keep the cabin area warm you will be defeat the purpose if you have the furnace thermostat set below the temperature of the cabin. Your best bet is putting a heater, heat lamp or even a 100 watt incandescent light in the water bay.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If you rely on forced air from the furnace to keep the water bay warm and you use a electric heater to keep the cabin area warm you will be defeat the purpose if you have the furnace thermostat set below the temperature of the cabin. Your best bet is putting a heater, heat lamp or even a 100 watt incandescent light in the water bay.

I have an electric heater in the cabin for when we are in it but I use the furnace to keep the water bay warm. I was just caught off guard in how much LP it used.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
I have an electric heater in the cabin for when we are in it but I use the furnace to keep the water bay warm. I was just caught off guard in how much LP it used.
If you have the electric heater set to keep the cabin temperature at 65* and have the furnace thermostat set to 45* expecting it to keep the water bay at 45* you will be sorely disappointed because as long as the cabin temp is above 45* the furnace will not turn on.

It's just like if your furnace thermostat is on a wall opposite a window with sun shining on it and your water bay is on the shady side. Say the thermostat is set for 45* and the sun's radiate energy on the thermostat warms it to 55*. The thermostats set point will be satisfied and not turn on the furnace.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #14
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If you have the electric heater set to keep the cabin temperature at 65* and have the furnace thermostat set to 45* expecting it to keep the water bay at 45* you will be sorely disappointed because as long as the cabin temp is above 45* the furnace will not turn on.

It's just like if your furnace thermostat is on a wall opposite a window with sun shining on it and your water bay is on the shady side. Say the thermostat is set for 45* and the sun's radiate energy on the thermostat warms it to 55*. The thermostats set point will be satisfied and not turn on the furnace.

I appreciate you telling me something common sense already told me. Reread my post and response to your previous comment. I DO NOT use the electric heater EXCEPT WHEN I AM IN THE CABIN. It used LP at rate faster than I anticipated and ran out. It kept the water just fine down to 14 degrees with the thermostat set at 49 so I was not concerned about freeze up. Where I went wrong was not realizing the draining of the LP tank being so rapid. I NEVER use the electric heater unless I am in the cabin. Ever! Shades are always pulled on the windows to avoid sun damage so the sunny side / shady side had zero to do with the freeze up. I ran out of LP so the furnace ceased to create heat therefore freezing up only a couple of things in the water bay. I’m back in business. Thank you.