Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2400MBW

lumpy floor

We have a 2016 Sunseeker, 24 ft wide slide. Today I noticed a linear lump under the vinyl flooring across the back, on the side of the bed opposite from the living room. Goes from the shower to the "bedside table" It wasn't there a few months ago. I assume there is chipboard under the vinyl.

We did just have a rather dramatic slide leak worked on . I haven't noticed any other leaking such as from the shower or windows.

Is this how floors get soft? Is that next?
Old 06-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

The floors in our Sunseekers are made of oriented strand board (OSB) which is more durable than particle board. In my experience, OSB does not get soft when wet as readily as particle board, and will firm up and swell a bit after it dries out. But if it stays wet long enough it likely will get soft eventually.

I just went through a major repair of my bathroom because the toilet flange was not installed properly and caused a leak. I had to take up the floor covering and dry things out. The OSB did firm up when it dried. Then I had to shave down the swollen areas before correctly installing the flange and replacing the floor covering. Forest River was nice enough to send me some new floor covering for the repair even though I'm out of warranty.

You will likely have to remove the floor covering to dry out the floor and avoid mildew and mold.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Sunseeker 2400MBW

That's terrible the toilet business is not covered, since it wasn't done correctly.
The man that repaired our slide roof says it was not sealed at all, just angle iron screwed down and screwed down loosely along the lateral side. We are from the Seattle area and it doesn't storm there, just drizzles, no wind. It didn't show up as leaking until we got into areas with big storms and the water got under the slide. He just put a lot of Eternabond all over, I hope it works.

I am assuming the floor trouble is from the slide leaking, I don't know really. The problem about removing the floor is we live in it now and not much access to tools.

We like this Sunseeker, we're having a great time but it's pretty much a cardboard box and Erector set with a truck. Seems more and more frail as we go on.

Thank you for your story, I 'm just watching and waiting.

Tags
floor, saunseeker, sunseeker