RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

Making corner bed vs bedroom slide and more

I am learning towards the Forester 2351LE or the 2251SLE.

1a. any tricks to easily changing bedding on a corner bed. I have watched the videos and considered getting a topper and slipping a narrow fitted sheet on that part and not the mattress itself. Or getting a zip fitted sheet. What are the real life experiences with a corner bed?

1b. Are the wall cabinets in the corner bed area useful?

2. are slides more of a pain than they are worth? One dealer suggested to make sure there was no weight on the bed when moving the slide in and out and that would avoid many of the problems.

3. Aside from the standard features and the LE Premier Pkg, what additional factory or aftermarket options should I seriously consider eg auto levelers? stabilizers? etc. etc.

4. Can anyone recommend (with personal knowledge) a FR dealer in Southwest Florida? I have been to one dealer but the salesperson was not knowledgeable.

5. What sort of price difference should there be between a new 2020 or 2021 model?
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
Ambassador Member

[QUOTE=Rusbet;2390340]I am learning towards the Forester 2351LE or the 2251SLE.
Take a look at the Sunseeker 2250SLE AND 2350SLE. Sometimes has less bells and whistles than the Forester but you can get optional equipment that you want with a lower price tag.

1a. I get my DW to do it.

1b. All storage is useful.

2. Slides are part of the all important floor plan. They are how you get more space in a small box. I have 4 of them. One dealer was correct.

3. LE Premium Package is STD. Consider 15k A/C (Heat pump is a waste but its there) Solar Charging Pkg. (for boondocking) , Artic Pkg if you plan on sub-freezing camping, Alum Running Boards - makes it easier to get in and out, deflects rocks and stuff flying off your front tires. Auto leveling is not necessary but it makes set up fast and easy. If you park in a storm you can level and get your slides out so you can relax during the wait.

4. I bought my last two MH’s from Grezeny’s RV World. SW Florida is a big area but they have 3 or 4 dealerships in the area. Nokomis is the main office. Note: Grezeny’s is also a high end Class C Manufacturer (CoachHouse)

5. That depends on changes for the model year. Normally only a few percent unless they want the ‘20 gone. Look at 28-30% off msrp for current MY and a bit more for last years model. 40% is not unheard of for a demo clearance.
No PM’s.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
2012 Solera

On our corner bed, we added a fairly thick memory foam topper and found that a futon cover holds the mattress plus the topper about perfectly (our mattress has a “rounded” corner; trimmed the topper and used safety pins to “adjust” the futon cover).
We use a double sleeping bag- solves the “make the bed” issue.

My unit and experiences are too dated to comment much on your other questions. I cursed our Slideout when the motor broke off the frame on our first trip; enjoyed the extra room it affords since getting it fixed. My Slideout mechanism is different from what is on current Motorhomes.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #4

We decided on a corner bed because the bed is ready to sleep on. Then to not have to deal with slide every time you want to go to bed. And heaven forbid if the slide wont come back in when you want to leave. Our dinette slide doesn’t have to be out to use. That’s how we rationalized it.

On the prices, things are so upside down right now who knows what kind of deals are available. Good luck finding a knowledgeable salesman. They are salesman, not campers/RV’ers.
Sergiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #5

Everything Ducky said is right on.

My personal preference is for a walk around bed. Making the bed with standard fitted sheets is pretty is easy if you get a good mattress that doesn't demand you add another few inches in depth with a topper.

A benefit of a walk around bed is not disturbing your partner getting into and out of bed. But, if your commitment to a corner bed floor plan outweighs this it wont matter.

Ducky has also made an excellent case for the kind of dealer you should choose. My dealer has salespeople who are seasoned rvers and who know what they're selling. You are right to be leery of a salesperson who is not knowledgable.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #6

Corner Bed Questions

We have a corner queen. I have a padded mattress cover and fitted sheet ( not deep pocket!) on it. I made a sleep bag out of two twin sheets sewn across the bottom and up one side. I sleep on and in this “sleep bag” and pull just this “Bag” out to launder, leaving the fitted sheet on for the season. The comforter is also a twin and can be easily tossed on or over to make the bed. We use this same arrangement for the cabover bunk.
CCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #7

My first TT you could not get in or out of the bed without crawling over the end of the bed. Make the bed, very difficult - almost impossible.. I hated it!. Best advice is select a unit if you decide on slides is be able to use the RV without slides being out. Our two slides just give us more floor space. Need to rest for a couple of hours on a long trip, use the bathroom, get from one end to the other of the RV, it is best if you don't have to put out slides.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbet View Post
I am learning towards the Forester 2351LE or the 2251SLE.

1a. any tricks to easily changing bedding on a corner bed. I have watched the videos and considered getting a topper and slipping a narrow fitted sheet on that part and not the mattress itself. Or getting a zip fitted sheet. What are the real life experiences with a corner bed?

1b. Are the wall cabinets in the corner bed area useful?

2. are slides more of a pain than they are worth? One dealer suggested to make sure there was no weight on the bed when moving the slide in and out and that would avoid many of the problems.

3. Aside from the standard features and the LE Premier Pkg, what additional factory or aftermarket options should I seriously consider eg auto levelers? stabilizers? etc. etc.

4. Can anyone recommend (with personal knowledge) a FR dealer in Southwest Florida? I have been to one dealer but the salesperson was not knowledgeable.

5. What sort of price difference should there be between a new 2020 or 2021 model?
Just returned from a trip in my Sunseeker 2290S with corner bed. After our first trip last year I purchased a stretch bottom sheet. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 queen sized.

I skipped the top sheet and purchased this quilt in twin size https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To put on the stretch sheet start at the top corner by the outside wall then the bottom corner by the wall. Then to the top inside corner and finish on the bottom. The sheet does not bunch or move around once on. I bought a twin quilt and it fits well without struggle to tuck and is better than the original spread plus not as hot.

If you go with a topper try a duvet cover but try a size smaller than the topper. For our upper bunk I had a full topper and purchased a full duvet cover. It was a little big but I made it work. I also purchased another twin quilt.

The upper cabinets I don’t store much, extra toilet paper, extra towels. It would be a good place to put occasionally used items. Use plastic bins in all upper cabinets.

For the size unit you are looking at you probably won’t find levelers. We haven’t needed them. Stabilizers yes yes yes. My husband installed better stabilizers after our first trip. It handled the road much better and trucks passing didn’t blow you off the road. fR should put better ones in from the start.
SunseekerFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

I agree with everything the Duck said.

My wife said.....walk around bed or nothing, regardless of how it is accomplished. NO CORNER BED. End of discussion. I’m good with that.

I’ll second the vote for Grezeny’s. We used the Nokomis location for some significant work a few years ago, they did a fantastic job and more importantly.....did it when they said they would, and for the price they said.

Two very important reasons to choose your dealer.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #10

We have the corner bed in our 2290S and no issues with it. You develop a system to making it - I use a tight fitted sheet on top of the mattress cover and a top sheet with a duvet instead of blankets. As we do a lot of travelling where we cannot/do not want to have to put out the slide (dinette) we can still use our bed and everything in it!

No bedroom slide also gave us so much extra storage capacity in the outside compartments compared to the units with a bedroom slide.

Everyone has to decide what works best for them!!
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, bedroom slide, roo, slide