Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2023, 02:38 PM   #1
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Max tire size

Anyone running a 245-75-16 on their E450 duelly? Going to replace stock Hancooks with an A/T tire for boondocking. Was told 235-85-16 to eliminate tire rub on the duellies but not thrilled with the aggressive treads in that size. I really want the Continental Terrain Contact A/T to work if possible... FWIW, I have a 2020 Forester 3011DS, but that shouldn't affect the size... Thanks!
Old 02-27-2023, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the Forester and Sunseeker sub-forum since the OP's questions are specific to a Forester motorhome and not a general question.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:54 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Off Roading

Beside the fact that you have very little ground clearance and can permanently twist your extended frame, the widest shoes that will fit your hub centering wheels is 225mm. Your dually spacing is designed for that.

I do not define boondocking as an activity that would require rock chucking treads.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:04 PM   #4
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Beside the fact that you have very little ground clearance and can permanently twist your extended frame, the widest shoes that will fit your hub centering wheels is 225mm. Your dually spacing is designed for that. I do not define boondocking as an activity that would require rock chucking treads.

Thanks, Duck. I'm having the WeldTec 6" lift and full suspension upgrade done at the same time. After speaking to Tire Rack, Discount Tire and WeldTec the concensus is that the biggest is the 235-85-16 without requiring a 1/4" spacer on the rear hubs. As far as boondocking goes, we will be doing gravel and forest roads (nothing that will test the torsion limits), so I wanted more grip than the very mediocre stock Hancooks provide. The Vredestein Pinza AT is what I've decided on, which is 90/10 highway/off-road rated. Thanks again for your input!
Old 02-27-2023, 09:23 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Vista View Post
Thanks, Duck. I'm having the WeldTec 6" lift and full suspension upgrade done at the same time. After speaking to Tire Rack, Discount Tire and WeldTec the concensus is that the biggest is the 235-85-16 without requiring a 1/4" spacer on the rear hubs. As far as boondocking goes, we will be doing gravel and forest roads (nothing that will test the torsion limits), so I wanted more grip than the very mediocre stock Hancooks provide. The Vredestein Pinza AT is what I've decided on, which is 90/10 highway/off-road rated. Thanks again for your input!
Ahh, an erector set. That has been discussed before. While that may be fine on a factory chassis, your 3011 is extended and so is your driveshaft. The question would be; Will the change in driveshaft geometry affect the transfer of power to the pumpkin.

Edit: Rickson appears to be defunct.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #6
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Ahh, an erector set. That has been discussed before. While that may be fine on a factory chassis, your 3011 is extended and so is your driveshaft. The question would be; Will the change in driveshaft geometry affect the transfer of power to the pumpkin.

They also do a full driveshaft alignment as part of the surgery to address that.

Tags
size, tire