Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #1

Maxxair Maxxfan Deluxe Wiring Question

Installing a Maxxair Maxxfan Deluxe in place of useless vent in 2017 Forester 2401R. I pulled down the wiring to find 3 black 3 white wire each tied together. Since I am a mere novice electrician, I was hoping someone have suggestions for the connection. Should I connect the 2 wires from the fan to each of the respective 3 wire bundles, or do I need to break out a single black and white wire for the connection....

Picture of the wires attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9663154E-794F-4FBC-A6B7-177E0080377E.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	235150  
davidstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

this is just a guess. do not take it for gospel.

did you already remove the existing vent? including disconnecting the vent wires? of is the vent still there and are the vent wires still connected?

i would guess that the new fan wires would connect to the same places that the existing vent got its power from.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #3

As already said above, if your vent already has a fan, I’m going to guess that one of those black wires and one of those white wires goes to the existing fan. Disconnect the old fan from those two wires and connect the new fan to the same two wires.

If your old vent did not have a fan, then you can either add the new wires to the groups of three, so you have four blacks and four whites connected together, or you can tap into one of the blacks and one of the whites and tie in your new fan wires. All that matters is than in the end, there is a connection between all whites, and between all blacks, and no loose wires hanging.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
this is just a guess. do not take it for gospel.

did you already remove the existing vent? including disconnecting the vent wires? of is the vent still there and are the vent wires still connected?

i would guess that the new fan wires would connect to the same places that the existing vent got its power from.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I removed a manual vent (no fan). The wire picture shows what is under the interior trim. None of the wires were previously connected...thanks.
davidstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Tap

I did the same thing. I suggest using a 3M T-Tap to make things easier.
I will add a link to my post with photos on the subject shortly.

Edit: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1789460
Those wires are normally for ceiling lights and depending on your floorplan, maybe the bathroom vent fan as well.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstrat View Post
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I removed a manual vent (no fan). The wire picture shows what is under the interior trim. None of the wires were previously connected...thanks.
So, the other end of those wires are not connected to anything?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:43 AM   #7

i'd be concerned about using those wires! black and white with those type of connectors are normally 120 vac wires. but this is an rv, who knows by just looking at them? if it was a manual vent there may not even be 12 vdc wires to tap into!
Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Shocking

Quote:
i'd be concerned about using those wires! black and white with those type of connectors are normally 120 vac wires. but this is an rv, who knows by just looking at them? if it was a manual vent there may not even be 12 vdc wires to tap into!
I know of no RV manufacturers that would use a vent hole as a 120v junction box. If the coach was prewired for a 2nd A/C there would be a 12ga 2 conductor NM wire neatly capped and tucked behind the opening. The OP has a MBS which
is a 30amp unit and had no option for 50amp service.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Clarity

You can (and should) use a meter to make sure they are not switched before you tap in. I’m 99% sure that they are not but you need to be 100% sure. I suggested t-taps because I used wire nuts and they were difficult to stuff in behind the garnish. You might want to check voltage as well to assuage Chickdoe’s concern as well. Just to be über safe.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #10

I'm not sure anymore, but I thought they used Romex for the 120V conductors?

We had one of the 120V outlets fall out of the wall in our bedroom, and when I put it back in, I think it was connected with Romex wire. But I could be wrong!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Brand

Romex is a brand name for NM or non-metalic wire invented by Rome Wire
and Cable in Rome, NY. I worked for Circle Wire and Cable distributor, their competition, back in the 60’s
Old 07-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #12

It's a 12 volt wire. 120 v is romex. I had the same bundle when I replaced my fan. Mine had 4 white and 4 black wires. I cut the old wires off the fan and connected them back to the bundle. What I'm saying is those are the wires you need.
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Romex is a brand name for NM or non-metalic wire invented by Rome Wire
and Cable in Rome, NY. I worked for Circle Wire and Cable distributor, their competition, back in the 60’s

Yep, Kleenex, Xerox, etc.

May not be the "proper" name, but it is the name that most efficiently conveys the information to the most people.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 07-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

On the ranch.

Somebody has been Branded. Kudo’s to the Southwire marketing team for
successfully making Romex the go to name for non-metallic sheathed wire (aka house wire). As long as the point was understood by the OP, all is good.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:19 AM   #15

Quote:
In which case you could break out yoru trusty old Multimeter and determine if you had 120 or 12 volts!
Old 07-31-2020, 07:40 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Maxx air fan should have two wires Black and white. disconnect old vent and reconnect the exact same way. Black to the two black and white wires and white to the two white wires.

hope this helps
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #17

Quote:
I know of no RV manufacturers that would use a vent hole as a 120v junction box. If the coach was prewired for a 2nd A/C there would be a 12ga 2 conductor NM wire neatly capped and tucked behind the opening. The OP has a MBS which
is a 30amp unit and had no option for 50amp service.
if it was A/C it would be Romex not free wires like that. take a meter to it and see.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:33 AM   #18
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
Maxx air fan should have two wires Black and white. disconnect old vent and reconnect the exact same way. Black to the two black and white wires and white to the two white wires.

hope this helps
That would be true if he had a vent fan however he only had a vent.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:35 AM   #19
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
if it was A/C it would be Romex not free wires like that. take a meter to it and see.
Romex is NM and I already said that... nothing more to say here unless the OP chimes in.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Romex is NM and I already said that... nothing more to say here unless the OP chimes in.

Duck,

I think you probably lost that war before you fired your first shot...

Peace...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS

Tags
wiring, fan