Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Mercedes dashboard warning lights and water temp

My 2015 MBS has 12k on it and had an episode last week. As I pulled out of Walmart, it pulled hard to the right, we could here a brake dragging on the right and two dashboard warning icons came on. One looks like a tire, the other looks like vehicle swerving back and forth. Pages 219-220 in the manual says they are ASR/BAS and ESP systems. A Google search found they are wheel slippage, stability control, etc.

This happened in Rock Springs, WY. Phoned Mercedes for road side service. After a few hours an 18 wheeler with a flatbed showed up to carry us to the closest MB dealer in Salt Lake City, 200 miles away! Driver said the bill would be about $1,600 billed to Mercedes. Naturally by the time he arrived the brake was free but the warning lights were still on. By the time we reached SLC, the lights had gone out, but early on I had taken a picture to show the dealer.

Dealer saw multiple error codes concerning the electronic steering stability system. Checked entire system, reloaded software with latest updates. I asked if MB couldn't have sent me to a specialty repair shop. They said the special scanner that allows them deep into the software costs $80k, and only dealers have access to the deep levels of the system. Anyway, it didn't cost me a penny!

BTW: They warned me never to clear a code with an engine scanner because if they don't see it themselves, they will not address it.

FYI: Since the MBS has no way to display the engine temperature, I hooked up a ScanGauge II to the OBD port and monitored it driving across the desert. Coolant temp normally runs in the mid 220's. Even under the torturous condition of climbing I-80 just East of Salt Lake City it only reached 231. This was loaded to maximum and towing a 3,500 lb Suzuki Sidekick up a very steep grade in 95 degree heat. My foot was on the floor for 10 minutes straight and we got all the way down to 39 mph at one point, but we were still passing the gas powered pickups pulling trailers! There were pickups and 18 wheelers puled over on the grade, probably due to overheating. A 50/50 coolant mix at 15 psi gets you a boiling point of about 265 degrees so the MB cooling system had a huge safety margin in reserve. The dealer said something about having two water pumps(?) but I need to get that clarified.

I have noticed what appears to be an engine oil cooler behind the grill (2 long skinny heat exchanges that appear to go to the oil filter and the top of the oil pan area). And of course with a 13 quart capacity, the pan itself dumps a lot of heat.....

The good news is I went 200 miles without using a drop of fuel. The bad news is it was in the wrong direction.....
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, mercedes, water