Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

Michelin Agilis

So, I know, not many posts, but I do lurk a lot.... ok, A LOT...

That said, I just put new tires on the rig, replacing the factory Michelin's that had aged out. Wanted to remain Michelin, so tried the new Agilis. I am amazed in my non scientific, completely subjective analysis accomplished during my 25 mile drive home, but these things are amazingly quieter than the the previous tires.

What're y'all experiencing?

Larry

2 of us and a dog
2015 Forester 3051
2012 Ford Edge toad
after a couple of worn out pop ups!
ExFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #2

I am 2 years and around 10,000 miles my Michelin XPS and they are doing well.I am pleased. I will look at the Agilis next time if they have a higher load carrying capacity.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:33 AM   #3

Which Agilis did you get, I am looking at the C-Metric with higher load rating. Seems like that would be ideal as my 2861DS is at max weight for the rear tires. And the lower pressure for same load rating may result in better ride.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #4

We bought the 115/112 load range version.

2 of us and a dog
2015 Forester 3051
2012 Ford Edge toad
after a couple of worn out pop ups!
ExFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
I am looking at the C-Metric with higher load rating. Seems like that would be ideal as my 2861DS is at max weight for the rear tires. And the lower pressure for same load rating may result in better ride.

Can I ask where you are getting this information?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Can I ask where you are getting this information?

From the Michelin Load & Inflation info. For size 225/75R16 in dual configuration, the LT version is rated at 9,880 lbs at 80 psi, while the C-Metric version is rated at 11,900 lbs at 80 psi.

My rear axle weighs about 9,500 lbs so is at the maximum for the LT at 80 psi where the C-Metric could be run at 70 psi and 10,960 lbs load rating.

I like the the fact that the C-Metric are not running at their maximum load rating and the lower pressure may be a better ride.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
From the Michelin Load & Inflation info. For size 225/75R16 in dual configuration, the LT version is rated at 9,880 lbs at 80 psi, while the C-Metric version is rated at 11,900 lbs at 80 psi.

My rear axle weighs about 9,500 lbs so is at the maximum for the LT at 80 psi where the C-Metric could be run at 70 psi and 10,960 lbs load rating.

I like the the fact that the C-Metric are not running at their maximum load rating and the lower pressure may be a better ride.
Exactly, why I just bought C-Metric tires for the rear on our 3011. Since we travel at around the max load capacity of the RV, it is nice to have tires that are also NOT at their maximum load capability.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Exactly, why I just bought C-Metric tires for the rear on our 3011. Since we travel at around the max load capacity of the RV, it is nice to have tires that are also NOT at their maximum load capability.

What brand, what pressure do you run, how do they ride?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
What brand, what pressure do you run, how do they ride?
I installed General Grabber C-Metric tires. Have not driven them a lot yet so the ride quality is somewhat unknown at this point although they did not seem much different than the Michelin's they replaced on the 30 miles I have put on them. I will be driving 200+ miles next wkd so I'll have a better idea on ride quality when I return.

Chuck & Lois
Old 05-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
I installed General Grabber C-Metric tires. Have not driven them a lot yet so the ride quality is somewhat unknown at this point although they did not seem much different than the Michelin's they replaced on the 30 miles I have put on them. I will be driving 200+ miles next wkd so I'll have a better idea on ride quality when I return.
Initial feedback on the Grabber C-Metric tires is that the ride is a little better than the Michelin LTX tires possibly because they are not inflated to maximum pressure as the Michelin's where. Also, slightly quieter but this could be because they are new and don't have 15K plus wear on them yet. Out of the box they seem to be fine but ask me again in a couple of years for a better long term review.

Chuck & Lois
Old 05-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Initial feedback on the Grabber C-Metric tires is that the ride is a little better than the Michelin LTX tires possibly because they are not inflated to maximum pressure as the Michelin's where. Also, slightly quieter but this could be because they are new and don't have 15K plus wear on them yet. Out of the box they seem to be fine but ask me again in a couple of years for a better long term review.

Thanks for the report, that helps to confirm my decision to go with the C-metric for higher load rating at lower tire pressure.