Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2023, 02:06 AM   #1

Modification Question

New to the world of Class C RV's and will pick it up on the 1st of Dec, it is a 2019 Sunseeker 2850SEL. While there seems to be a fair amount of storage I have a desire to make a modification for an additional storage area. On the left side of the bed, looking from the foot, there is a carpeted area under the drawer that appears to be a support for the drawer and closet. Has anyone had to open that area up to see if there is anything in that area? From what I could see as I checked it out, it seems to be just a carpet covered frame and support. What I would like to do is to leave the appearance the same but to install a door or hatch opening to store a small portable safe for important documents or a few valuables that is then hidden. Anyone with knowledge would be a great help, thanks.
Larryd50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:30 AM   #2

Any space you can access can be used for this. The problem is usually the swing out of the door, and requires a little closer measurement when you shop for the safe. I mounted a top opening handgun safe in the closet, for that reason. Smooth headed carriage bolts, larger fender washers, and nylon locking nuts provide better mounting
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:34 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryd50 View Post
New to the world of Class C RV's and will pick it up on the 1st of Dec, it is a 2019 Sunseeker 2850SEL. While there seems to be a fair amount of storage I have a desire to make a modification for an additional storage area. On the left side of the bed, looking from the foot, there is a carpeted area under the drawer that appears to be a support for the drawer and closet. Has anyone had to open that area up to see if there is anything in that area? From what I could see as I checked it out, it seems to be just a carpet covered frame and support. What I would like to do is to leave the appearance the same but to install a door or hatch opening to store a small portable safe for important documents or a few valuables that is then hidden. Anyone with knowledge would be a great help, thanks.
Quick check before going any deeper……

Is there anything on the outside of your rig exactly in line with this carpeted area under the drawer?
Is this by chance where you connect water lines, electric, cable TV, outdoor shower? Anything at all out there?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryd50 View Post
I would wait until you get the unit, remove the drawer, and see what’s in there.

Someone who does not own your model will have no way of knowing for sure what is in that space. Someone the does own your model will have no way of knowing for sure how YOUR unit was built. Since builders seem to have some freedom in exact build details, such as wire or plumbing routing, yours may differ slightly from other builds. Also, there is sometimes changes in build specs within a model year. For example, our Sunseeker is designated as a 2020 model year, but has all the colors and configurations of a 2019 model, and is not like most 2020s.

From the looks of your registry photo, there is a tall basement storage bin that extends above the floor level in the rear left corner. Any chance that is the same space you describe beside the bed? I attached a floor plan that I hope is the correct one for your unit.

Wait and see what you find. Since December 1 is now past, I assume you should have the motorhome now, and you know more than we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4597FEFE-E62B-4923-B43B-017AF6B6C5BC.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	295423   Click image for larger version

Name:	9AAAB68C-6543-4A8C-A790-97F5A2692C84.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	295424  
Old 12-03-2023, 03:52 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

I know you can’t rely on drawings to accurately show what the real motorhome looks like but……

The drawings show bigger windows than I see on the curb side of this rig.
Both the kitchen and bedroom windows look significantly smaller than the drawings would lead you to believe.

And…..if there is a cargo door right near the right rear of the motorhome, and inside there’s a cupboard or drawer in this location……really, how deep can this cargo door actually be above the floor height?

Just asking.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:31 PM   #6

A word of wisdom that applies to any purchase: A new motorhome, a new boat, a new vehicle, a new home or even clothes/shoes...

No matter how sure you are about the planned modifications, use the item as is for a while before making any changes. A little experience often changes your perspective. You may decide what you wanted to do was just not worth it, or maybe you need to do something much more extensive.

Good luck.
Rescue.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:42 PM   #7

Thanks for the information and inputs. Did pick up the rig on Friday and have spent the time getting to understand and know the layout, with a lot of more needed to know. What I had originally thought actually is the top of the large storage area in the back under the bed. So, my idea will not work unless I want to do some modification to the storage area. However, with further discovery and understanding there are a couple of other places that will seem to work for what I want to accomplish. Time will tell after we get moved in and see what works best for us. I look forward to learning more from the folks here in the forum.
Larryd50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, modification, question