Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Sage, what's the purpose of having a larger and then smaller panel?
Reason is we bought the Renogy 100 watt solar suitcase for our small Winnebago. It had very limited storage. After one or two trips I realized that I was only getting 4 amps of charge to the batteries as all the appliances and lights were eating up amps. My batteries weren't getting fully charged each day. So the extra 30 watt panel provides the 1.6 amps needed for everything running during the solar panel charging. Also the controller was only a 10 amp and couldn't handle anything much larger.
We are planing on adding 300 watts of panels to the roof with a 30 amp controller.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Nice trips planned. IF we don't go east in the spring, then we will in the fall. The DW wants to see the fall colors. We'd be headed to Harrisonburg VA and down to Asheville NC about the same time. Guess that's about an 1hour 45 minutes from your spot in Tennessee. Maybe then.

Wow, small world- we live in Harrisonburg, VA! Great place to come in the spring or fall.. but if you haven't been here for the fall leaves it's a must-see.
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #43

[QUOTE=vajeep;1104771]Wow, small world- we live in Harrisonburg, VA! Great place to come in the spring or fall.. but if you haven't been here for the fall leaves it's a must-see.[/QUOTE
Niece lives in Grottoes, VA per the DW. With RV access.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Reason is we bought the Renogy 100 watt solar suitcase for our small Winnebago. It had very limited storage. After one or two trips I realized that I was only getting 4 amps of charge to the batteries as all the appliances and lights were eating up amps. My batteries weren't getting fully charged each day. So the extra 30 watt panel provides the 1.6 amps needed for everything running during the solar panel charging. Also the controller was only a 10 amp and couldn't handle anything much larger.
We are planing on adding 300 watts of panels to the roof with a 30 amp controller.
Ok. That's makes sense. So to connect both panels are you clamping them separately to the batteries?
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Ok. That's makes sense. So to connect both panels are you clamping them separately to the batteries?
The 100 watt panel set has a permanently mounted controller to the back of the panel and the 30 watt has none. So I made a pigtail to add the 30 watt to the first 50 watt panel. Works fine, but a pain to keep readjusting them all thru out the day maximizing the sun. Worked Great with the Winnebago with 2 group 24 batteries, but seems to be struggling to top off the 2 group 27 on the Forester with high daily amp consumption.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #46

[QUOTE=Sagecoachdriver;1104784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
Wow, small world- we live in Harrisonburg, VA! Great place to come in the spring or fall.. but if you haven't been here for the fall leaves it's a must-see.[/QUOTE

Niece lives in Grottoes, VA per the DW. With RV access.

Yup, just down the road. Grottoes is a bit off the beaten track, but in a beautiful area.
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
I forgot to add one important Modification that worked GREAT

4. Solid Valve Stems
Like most of you I suffered through having to constantly top-up the 6-tires on my RV. Seems they always lost a few lbs of pressure before and sometime during each trip. Not a lot a pressure, but enough that it was always something to check. But before this trip I spent $130 on new valve stems extensions that are solid rather than using a screw on valve extension. Then spent another $120 having them installed on each wheel. So nearly $300 for valve stems. I gotta admit that's sobering to read as I write it. But the day I had them installed they set the tire pressure and 80 psi rear and 75 psi front. Then a month later when getting ready to leave I checked the pressure and they were still 80/75 on the dot. Then we drove to Tucson, stayed 3 weeks and before leaving I checked the tires again - still 80/75. So, eliminating the screw-on extensions made all the difference in how solid the tire pressure is in these tires. This is a welcome change.
Where did you get the solid valve stems? We also just purchased a 3051S and the valve stems are a joke. The two plasic extension won't even take air and one of the outside tires did not include the 90 elbow so I had to remove the wheel liner just to add air. Thanks.
BIKERMHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #48

Borg Supply.

I got all six stems including the front wheels and had them installed at Discount tire.

Here are the parts for Borg Supply (product names are links):

DL1FC Chrome Dually Valve Kit $120.00

2-EA VHVS8225 Reverse Mount Valve Stem Straight Qty:1 $37.60
Old 02-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKERMHA View Post
Where did you get the solid valve stems? We also just purchased a 3051S and the valve stems are a joke. The two plasic extension won't even take air and one of the outside tires did not include the 90 elbow so I had to remove the wheel liner just to add air. Thanks.
Here is a topic we had going back in September when many of us encountered this issue.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ves-92760.html
Old 02-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Borg Supply.

I got all six stems including the front wheels and had them installed at Discount tire.

Here are the parts for Borg Supply (product names are links):

DL1FC Chrome Dually Valve Kit $120.00

2-EA VHVS8225 Reverse Mount Valve Stem Straight Qty:1 $37.60
Thanks! Just the info I need. Also, what pound of lifts did you get for the up lifting doors?
Old 02-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #51

I just order the standard sized "Hatchlifts" for the two door sizes. There was no pound settings to pay attention to. Initially I ordered two per door, but after installing the first one, I never installed the 2nd. Didn't need to. Works great. Hatchlift took the extras back in return. There was a restocking fee, but they took them back even though it had been 60-days since they shipped them to me.

Just used the RV again this weekend - couldn't live a minute with the RV without those. It's a must have purchase.

Hatchlift Kit Large HLK-LGE - $43.99 ea
Hatchlift - SM - Slide HLK-SM-SLIDE - $41.99 ea

The "slide" model is slick - It's on the wet locker door and the slide runs over the top of this locker. The Slide model lift opens halfway and stops on an indent which is perfect when the slide it out. But will upon the full way when the slide is closed by just lifting it past the indent.

If you haven't added hatchlifts to your "UP" opening hatches - you are really missing a good thing.

Installation video with 10% discount code

Old 02-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #52

Quote:
I just order the standard sized "Hatchlifts" for the two door sizes. There was no pound settings to pay attention to. Initially I ordered two per door, but after installing the first one, I never installed the 2nd. Didn't need to. Works great. Hatchlift took the extras back in return. There was a restocking fee, but they took them back even though it had been 60-days since they shipped them to me.

Just used the RV again this weekend - couldn't live a minute with the RV without those. It's a must have purchase.

Hatchlift Kit Large HLK-LGE - $43.99 ea
Hatchlift - SM - Slide HLK-SM-SLIDE - $41.99 ea

The "slide" model is slick - It's on the wet locker door and the slide runs over the top of this locker. The Slide model lift opens halfway and stops on an indent which is perfect when the slide it out. But will upon the full way when the slide is closed by just lifting it past the indent.

If you haven't added hatchlifts to your "UP" opening hatches - you are really missing a good thing.

Installation video with 10% discount code

Once again your information is great. I just ordered the chrome dually valve kit and front wheel valves. Guess my next order will be for the lifts. Thanks.... have a great evening.

Tags
cat, modifications