Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #521
2016 Forester 2501TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotkopf54 View Post
Hey there, SageCoachDriver! I saw a post of yours mentioning you had a Bigfoot Leveling system on your 2016 Forester. I want to add same to my 2016 Forester (2501TS) and plan to install them myself. Big favor to ask, could you look to see if your chassis (Ford E450, right?) came with leveler mounting plates from the factory, that all 4 Bigfoot levelers are mounted to? My forester (E450) came with front and rear mounting plates welded to the frame, but I'm not certain if they are intended for Bigfoot levelers or for another manufacturers (Lippert???) levelers...

Here’s the existing leveler mounts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1941.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	211631Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	211632Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	211633Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1947.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	211634
rotkopf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #522

It’s been awhile since any projects but I’ve taken the plunge to replace the in-dash Jensen DVD/navigation unit. The navigation is pretty much useless to me, I use a Garmin mounted on the dash. The Jensen started acting up this year, freezing up and having to be reset constantly or losing power completely and spontaneously coming back on at any time with the radio blaring.
I’m replacing it with Pioneer’s flagship media receiver AVH-W4500NEX with wireless Apple car play. I’ve done car installs before but this one is a little more complicated with the added wires for the rear speakers and subwoofer that aren’t color coded to the Jensen unit.
I have the wiring adapter and instructions from Crutchfield to adapt to the stock Ford wiring but most of the wires have been added later when the rig was built.
So far the dash is out, pretty tricky getting everything disconnected and I had to drop the steering column a few inches.
I’ve added a USB for connecting the phone to the blank spot between the 12v outlets. Working on getting all the wiring sorted out, I have to replace the XM radio module with a newer unit but hopefully I can use the same antenna, also hoping I can use the existing Bluetooth microphone as well.
There are 5 pairs of wires to sort out that go to the rear speakers and subwoofer, they have different identifying colours but with out dropping the speakers I’ll have to do some signal tracing to hopefully sort them out.
I have the Jensen wiring diagram but it’s in black and white and no colours labeled to make it a little harder.

Getting everything identified and labeled [emoji3]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6488.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	216653

The heater control connections were tricky

Name:	IMG_6483.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	216654

USB for phone

Name:	IMG_6486.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	216655

The Pioneer will be here on Monday then I can start building the wiring harness. I’d really like to update the AV connections to the TV with HDMI but I don’t think I’m up for that job.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
It’s been awhile since any projects but I’ve taken the plunge to replace the in-dash Jensen DVD/navigation unit. The navigation is pretty much useless to me, I use a Garmin mounted on the dash. The Jensen started acting up this year, freezing up and having to be reset constantly or losing power completely and spontaneously coming back on at any time with the radio blaring.
I’m replacing it with Pioneer’s flagship media receiver AVH-W4500NEX with wireless Apple car play. I’ve done car installs before but this one is a little more complicated with the added wires for the rear speakers and subwoofer that aren’t color coded to the Jensen unit.
I have the wiring adapter and instructions from Crutchfield to adapt to the stock Ford wiring but most of the wires have been added later when the rig was built.
So far the dash is out, pretty tricky getting everything disconnected and I had to drop the steering column a few inches.
I’ve added a USB for connecting the phone to the blank spot between the 12v outlets. Working on getting all the wiring sorted out, I have to replace the XM radio module with a newer unit but hopefully I can use the same antenna, also hoping I can use the existing Bluetooth microphone as well.
There are 5 pairs of wires to sort out that go to the rear speakers and subwoofer, they have different identifying colours but with out dropping the speakers I’ll have to do some signal tracing to hopefully sort them out.
I have the Jensen wiring diagram but it’s in black and white and no colours labeled to make it a little harder.

Getting everything identified and labeled [emoji3]Attachment 216653

The heater control connections were tricky
Attachment 216654

USB for phone
Attachment 216655

The Pioneer will be here on Monday then I can start building the wiring harness. I’d really like to update the AV connections to the TV with HDMI but I don’t think I’m up for that job.

You have much more patience than I. I would need step by step instructions, with pictures. Even then, I would likely mar the dash. My hat is off to you.

I also use the trucker garmin on a cup holder mount.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #524
DaLexusGuy

Tombsy

Nicely done. I replaced my original supplied radio unit with a BOSS media player (the name media player just means it is a radio with USB and Bluetooth inputs, but doesn't does not have a cd player). CarPlay allows me to display Waze or Google Maps (using data from my phone) negating the need for a navigation system.

I agree that the ac/heater controls were a bit challenging, but THE hardest part of the job for me, by far, was getting the glossy brown fake wood dash cover off. I tried dropping some of the steering column bolts but couldn't get it lowered enough and ended up chipping the "wood" dash panel near the gear shift lever. If I did it again, I would put thick tape in that area first to help prevent the damage and/or remove more steering column bolts in order to drop it way down. As a small rant, a dashboard design that requires one to go to these lengths is stupid.

While I was in there, I swapped out the single factory USB port (the one closest to the steering wheel) for double USB ports, so I now have two ports (one for Apple Carplay), and one to use my wife's phone as an additional media player input to the radio. Those two only have power with the ignition on.

Because the radio USB outputs couldn't handle powering three USBs, I also installed a small dc-to-usb converter box that powers the third, factory installed USB port toward the right side of the panel. That outlet is powered at all times.

Installation note: Removing the engine cover (doghouse) allows significant additional access inside the dashboard, in and around the radio area, to help with wire harness placement and management.

Next project; audio speakers in the ceiling above the driver and passenger. If anyone has done that, please let me know.

Thanks all, happy fall and happy camping!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #525

I’ve identified all the wires, I found the color codes online plus turns out there was a color key on the bottom of the Jensen. Everything matches up, the Pioneer arrived today so I can start the wiring. I’m leaving the existing Bluetooth microphone and XM antenna but I updated the XM module. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6494.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	216824Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6496.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	216823
Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I’ve identified all the wires, I found the color codes online plus turns out there was a color key on the bottom of the Jensen. Everything matches up, the Pioneer arrived today so I can start the wiring. I’m leaving the existing Bluetooth microphone and XM antenna but I updated the XM module. Attachment 216824Attachment 216823

God bless you, man. That would drive me nuts.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #527

I decided on the Curt Spectrum brake controller, it has a remote control and the main unit is behind the dash. It came with the Ford adapter plug.Click image for larger version

Name:	51170_a.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	217009Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	217008
I’m just waiting for a replacement air vent louvre for one of the dash vents while it’s out (and for the temps to get above freezing) then I can put it back together.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #528

Anyone have the bolts for the engine exhaust bracket beat up the fiberglass trim at the bottom of the coach? I will have to get a picture,?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #529

I think I know what you mean, the top of the bolts from the clamp that holds the flat heat shield hit the bottom of the trim. There is nothing attached there on mine the hanger for the exhaust is further back underneath. I just tried to gently bend mine down a bit to give it more clearance.

I had success with my install, everything seems to working like it’s supposed to. The new vent should be here tomorrow so I can wrestle the dash back on.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6515.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	217373
Old 10-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #530

I did not dare to try that. Thanks for responding. I did not take a picture because I hit the trim piece with Por15, since I had it in my had for another area. This does solve the issue but it looks better, for now. I will try bending it.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #531

Finally all done, the dash is back in, I fixed up the scan gauge mount a bit, installed the trailer brake, added a USB outlet on the lower left kick panel for the tire monitor, and a second USB from the Pioneer mounted between the existing 12v outlets.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	217505
Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #532

Wow! So professional looking.My scanguage and tpms are just velcroed to the dash.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #533

Probably going to be the last project this season, I replaced the power cord end and the socket with a set from Smartplug, it was a pretty easy job, great instructions, it seems like a pretty solid combo.

Name:	IMG_6547.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	218491
Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 PM   #534

I just installed a Smart Plug also and really like it.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #535

More 2801 mods

I'm going to miss my 2801. This was the best C around IMHO. Despite a rough start, I am glad I got to experience it. Now some lucky person will get the pleasure of hundreds of dollars of mods in just the last season. I just ordered a class A, to be picked up in the spring. I am excited about moving up, but every time ?I look at the 2801, it is like saying goodbye to an old friend.

Thanks for all of your help and input folks. Keep on sharing.

Just installed a Wacko A/C silencer. I will not even get to try it ou. Imagine.

Btw, don't say anything bad about me. I will be lurking in the shadows.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #536
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Btw, don't say anything bad about me. I will be lurking in the shadows.
What Class A did you order? We went the other way. Our 2020 Sunseeker 2400Q, on the new 2019 M-B chassis, is due in this month.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #537

Congratulations! I hope you have many, many years of trouble-free enjoyment with it.

Newmar 3626. It likely eats more gas, but I got tired of sleeping on half the bed when I travel with the bicycle on the back. And, I always kind of wanted an A. Not fully comfortable with only one door and the increased chances of catch a rock in the windshield, but I guess all of life is a trade off. Had the 2801 been 3 ft longer, same floor plan without the back slide needing to be out to go to bed. I would not even consider loosing all of this money on a trade. Last mod was Two weeks ago.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #538
Site Team

Newmar makes a very nice "A". That floor plan looks very comfortable as well.

We're down sizing so my wife is more comfortable driving the rig. She hated driving the GTS and didn't particularly like driving the 2500TSF. As soon as she saw the new "Q" floor plan, and the new 2019+ Sprinter spec's she was ready to order one.We had an early sneak preview of the "Q" at the plant and there was no doubt which RV she wanted after that visit.

Hopefully it will be here some time around mid-month. We're scheduled for the Charleston Festival of Lights FROG Rally in early December and I'd like s few days to test everything and get it loaded.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #539

Fun with pvc
Water filter holder and trash bag holder all made out of 3/4 pvc... Trash bag holder comes apart for transportClick image for larger version

Name:	20191002_154128.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	218534Click image for larger version

Name:	20191009_150537.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	218535
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #540
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanj56 View Post
Fun with pvc
Water filter holder and trash bag holder all made out of 3/4 pvc... Trash bag holder comes apart for transport
I like the water filter set up. I may copy that if I remove the one FR installed.

Tags
280, forester, modifications