RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #541

Thank you... Worked out good for me.. used pipe insulation foam to wrap pvc
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #542

AbdRahim, itís been great swapping ideas with you, good luck with your new rig, check back once in a while.

Handymanj56, nice job with the pvc, I have a similar water filter but no spare to mount it on . I use a lot of pvc making stacking boat stands for my toys.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	218600
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #543

Nice hobby You have.... I use to fly the nitro remote helicopters back in the 90s... Glad you liked my filter holder
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #544

I will still be around. This is a great forum and you folks are great. I may have a different brand but ideas are still useful. Enjoy yours. Stay in touch.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #545

A friend just finished a cutting board/sink cover for me. All end grain maple with an end grain walnut inlay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD88029D-139A-4396-B3C7-92E297FD2D3C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	222951   Click image for larger version

Name:	75DF64BE-5AFB-4B41-8FDC-D3DD39F8A70C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	222954  
Old 07-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #546

Itís been awhile since an update, I had a good chance to try out the new Pioneer head unit with Apple car play and everything worked great. Some of the things Iíve been working on lately are, a new router on the Alpha Camp Pro wifi booster the old one would not update, it works great now, the new software is better.
I also upgraded the surge protector to a portable Progressive Industries EMS and finally installed a paper towel holder under the cabinets.
The biggest upgrades by far I guess are the suspension parts I just had installed. The rig didnít handle terribly by any means but I needed some help with some of these strong winds we get along the foothills of the Rockies.
I had front and rear sway bars installed with a steering stabilizer and 4 Bilstein shocks. I was going to wait on tires until next year but after the shop found this rock in the bead of the inside dually that somehow held air for my last 1000 mile fishing trip. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7108.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	233045

So I picked up a set of Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tire that get installed on Monday along with the rigs first wheel alignment.
Should be floating like a Caddy next trip
Old 07-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #547
DaLexusGuy

Front and Back Mirror Camera

My latest modification was to install a camera that straps to the inside rear view mirror (useless anyway) and displays either a forward view as it records, or the rear view, or both, side-by-side.

The front view camera displays and records my travels just fine, but the rear view is causing me some difficulty. I wanted to use the existing rear camera wiring and the RDS camera view switching device, but couldn't find adapters to do that, so I ran a new camera cable along the frame and VHB-taped the camera to the tow hitch.

To be fair, the camera manufacturer warned me that their testing showed that a 40 foot run of cable was too long and would have too much signal loss to operate correctly. Sure enough, the rear camera operation is intermittent, but when it acts up it reboots over and over as if there is a short in the signal wire in the harness, not just merely a signal loss, so I'm still working through that challenge.

The very latest is that my Dometic/Atwood (Air Command) AC refrigerant all leaked out (error code E4 on the thermostat display). This particular unit is NOT serviceable, so the dealer had to order a whole new unit (which took over one month to receive from Dometic).

Thankfully I made it in (barely) within their two year warranty. I certainly hope the next one will last longer than the first, but before taking to the dealer I disassembled it to investigate why it failed and found that the evaporator appears to be a 5th-grade soldering project, and the everything else is just a collection of super-chintzy components from China.

I have already started investigating which unit to replace it with when (not if) this new one fails.

Stay Safe and Happy Camping, all!
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #548

Thankfully the AC was under warranty but still a big PIA for sure.
Iíd like to add a couple of those wireless side cameras but only if I can tie them into my existing rear view monitor, it has the capability for multiple inputs but I havenít looked into if the cameras or wireless receiver are compatible.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #549

A couple pics while everything is shiny.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	233141
Attachment 1
Old 07-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #550
Ambassador Member

Re-Incarnated Duck

Hi Guys,
Took about a year plus off and decided to log in to see whats going on.
Glad to see the folks with KSAís are still at it. Nice job as usual Tomsby.
Like the smart plug too since my ring lock split.
Still have my Ď18 2800 and would love to get out and travel but that is not
going to happen. Last summer we went to Kennybunkport with friends and
I didnt do well. Last month I had major spine surgery. Home recovering now
and just this week was able to walk with a cane by myself. Iím gonna miss
my nurse and the sponge baths😜. Iíll try to be more active here but you know how that goes. Anyway hope this finds my fellow 2800/2801 campers well and
ready to see our great country again.
Best Regards,
Ducky
No PMís.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #551

Fantastic to hear from you Ducky, all the best, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Weíre heading out Monday to B.C. but itís only the second trip out and the first for my wife this year.
Get to test the suspension upgrades in the mountains.
I ended up getting a new set of Michelinís I was going to do it next year as they were timed out but the suspension shop phoned me saying weíve never seen this before Iím going to send you a picture. This is the one new tire I had to buy last year when I had a valve problem on an inner rear tire. Somehow this rock was lodged in the bead, it broke the bead but somehow held air for 1000 miles on my fishing trip. Crazy man.
I went with the Agelis Crossclimate for the new ones.

Name:	IMG_7108.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	234211
Old 07-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #552
Ambassador Member

Tyre

Wow! That looks ugly. Lucky you.
No PMís.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #553

You said "inner rear". Dual right?

That's most likely what ssved it from a catastrophic failure sooner.

Around where I grew up we saw same damage but usually tree knots from forest service roads.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You said "inner rear". Dual right?

That's most likely what ssved it from a catastrophic failure sooner.

Around where I grew up we saw same damage but usually tree knots from forest service roads.

Yup the inner passenger side dually, I was on paved roads this time lol.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #555

Some updates, After replacing a bad slide motor I spent some time lubing all the gear racks and motors and conditioning all the seals inside and out. Also fixed up the trim on all the slides, all four had staples that had completely missed and were sticking through the rubber seals.
I was having a heck of a time with this Pioneer head unit I installed it started spontaneously rebooting and then just quit. I couldnít figure it out and had to send it from Calgary to United Radio in New York for repair under warranty. They said there was nothing wrong and sent it back.
So now Iím trying to figure out what I did wrong with the wiring, I ran a new ground and thought I had solved it but it did it again and I had to take the dash apart for the third time.
The Pioneer is connected to both chassis and house batteries as well as accessory power just like the old Jensen. I started double checking the power connections and one of the power wires that the old Jensen was connected to for some reason only has 8.5v. (Canít figure that out) I ran my own new power wires and everything seems to be working so I buttoned everything back up.
Fingers crossed, what a pain.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #556

I installed a new quick connect city water inlet from Aquor, got rid of the screw on connection that was kind of a pain without having a quick connect fitting sticking out.
It was a pretty simple install, the new fitting fits the old hole and is a nice heavy stainless that sits pretty much flush. The hose connector has a shutoff valve and pushes in and is a quarter turn to lock.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	239438

Name:	IMG_7291.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	239439
Old 09-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #557

After all the work upgrading to the Pioneer head unit and new door speakers that sounds fantastic while driving, the sound from the tv through the ceiling speakers leaves a lot to be desired. Iím kind of a movie buff and have a surround sound theatre setup at home so I was looking to upgrade. Instead of trying to get better speakers in the ceiling (that still would only be stereo) I decided on a Bose 500 soundbar, with their subwoofer and the tiny wireless rear speakers. I have the soundbar setup already through HDMI and itís sounds fantastic, the sub and rears should be here next week.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:41 AM   #558
Ambassador Member

Plastique

B,
I like the idea of the quick connect but two Qís;

Do you think the twist lock quick connect will hold up well with hose hanging on it?

and Since Iím in sand a lot of the time, is it easy to wash the o-rings before plugging it in?

Thanks
H
No PMís.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
B,
I like the idea of the quick connect but two Qís;

Do you think the twist lock quick connect will hold up well with hose hanging on it?

and Since Iím in sand a lot of the time, is it easy to wash the o-rings before plugging it in?

Thanks
H

Hopefully it will hold up, it goes quite a way into the socket and it seems pretty solid. With the valve on the end hoping it should be pretty easy to rinse it off.
They seem to be used on boats so Iím hoping it will last for awhile.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #560

A pic of the soundbar above the tv.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7366.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	239466

Tags
280, forester, modifications