Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2022, 12:10 PM   #1

Motorcycle carrier

I have a 2015 Sunseeker 3010. I’m considering buying a KTM 390 Adventure, which weighs just under 400 lbs. I have no doubt the receiver would be able to handle a carrier and that weight. I haven’t looked into whether the Sunseeker itself could handle it.
Does anyone use a carrier on the back for a bike? I was also wondering if a carrier could be used and also tow a CRV. All stuff I’ll check into further if I wind up buying the bike, but thought I’d throw it out here. Thanks
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #2

Your E-450 probably has a rear axle weight limit of 9600 pounds and a GVWR of 14,500 pounds. I don't know about your 2015 model, but 2023 3010DS specs a cargo carrying capacity (CCC) of only 1720 pounds. I would recommend you know (by going to a scale) your current actual loaded overall weight and your rear axle weight without the motorcycle and rack. If the addition of the motorcycle causes you to exceed the vehicle weight ratings, I would advise against it.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Your E-450 probably has a rear axle weight limit of 9600 pounds and a GVWR of 14,500 pounds. I don't know about your 2015 model, but 2023 3010DS specs a cargo carrying capacity (CCC) of only 1720 pounds. I would recommend you know (by going to a scale) your current actual loaded overall weight and your rear axle weight without the motorcycle and rack. If the addition of the motorcycle causes you to exceed the vehicle weight ratings, I would advise against it.

Thanks. I’ll definitely check into all the if the time comes. My thought is, it would be too much, but was hoping to see someone on here had done it with no problem.
I saw a guy with a diesel pusher with a really nice hydraulic lift at a campground last year and sparked the idea. I may just be riding the bike from my house with what I have.
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
Have Camera will Travel

I spoke with a Sprinter owner who hauled his trail bike on a rack on the back. It wouldn't have the same overhang as your rig but you should be able to handle it.We put a receiver on the front of ours to hold our bike rack which may also be an option.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol108 View Post
I have a 2015 Sunseeker 3010. I’m considering buying a KTM 390 Adventure, which weighs just under 400 lbs. I have no doubt the receiver would be able to handle a carrier and that weight. I haven’t looked into whether the Sunseeker itself could handle it.
Does anyone use a carrier on the back for a bike? I was also wondering if a carrier could be used and also tow a CRV. All stuff I’ll check into further if I wind up buying the bike, but thought I’d throw it out here. Thanks
I’m not an expert with numbers for the hitches over the years, but I’m going to hazard a guess that the idea of a KTM (even at <400lbs) AND a tow vehicle?

I’ll bet you’re way past your safe limit for the vehicle. Remember, there’s also all the weight of your Sunseeker too…..people, luggages, water and waste tanks….

Sounds like you’re in diesel pusher territory for that many toys. Just my $0.02.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #6

Yes I would think you could carry the KTM on a back rack, but what I used to do was use a small trailer, than I could throw other stuff in the trailer (coolers, grills, etc) and you had a place to lock the bike out of the weather. Plus in a pinch the trailer makes a nice patio on a rainy weekend

If you wanted to flat tow a CRV, not sure I would extend the hitch to carry the KTM AND and flat tow. I guess it could be done, hell I used to use a 36" extension behind my 3500 ram with a pickup camper to tow with but all the flat tow weight is thrust side to side from toad pushing, and I had giant turn buckles from the end of this extension back to the ram frame.

Or you could put a hitch on the back of the CRV for the KTM.

Or you could put a hitch on the front of the MH and put the KTM up there.
I used to do this with my Ram, i had a plastic job box with stuff like a cooler in it, plus fit a generator up front with 2.5 gallons of fuel and some other things.

Here is a great way to put a bike on a receiver hitch. I have not used one but I know people that say its the best way they have ever done it. Just check the carrying capacity.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:37 AM   #7

Motorcycle trailer option

The Ultimate Trailer in my town of Arvada Colorado is awesome. I just bought a 2-bike trailer, but they make a single. It uses an onboard air compressor to drop the floor down, you ride up and lock the front wheel in, strap down, and the deck goes back up for driving.

https://www.theultimatetrailers.com/
Old 03-29-2023, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtromp24 View Post
The Ultimate Trailer in my town of Arvada Colorado is awesome. I just bought a 2-bike trailer, but they make a single. It uses an onboard air compressor to drop the floor down, you ride up and lock the front wheel in, strap down, and the deck goes back up for driving.

https://www.theultimatetrailers.com/

This trailer is a little pricey and the warranty is only 3 months for wearable parts and 1 year on everything else if maintenance is done correctly.
The frame and the deck are steel which will start to rust after a year, would have been nicer to have aluminum for the price.
The scary thing is getting a air leak while driving or at a remote campsite.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
This trailer is a little pricey and the warranty is only 3 months for wearable parts and 1 year on everything else if maintenance is done correctly.
The frame and the deck are steel which will start to rust after a year, would have been nicer to have aluminum for the price.
The scary thing is getting a air leak while driving or at a remote campsite.
The steel is professionally powder coated and very thick. There is a schrader valve in case the compressor won't work so you can pump up manually or with your tire compressor. I reached out to a bunch of existing customers, and couldn't find a complaint.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtromp24 View Post
The steel is professionally powder coated and very thick. There is a schrader valve in case the compressor won't work so you can pump up manually or with your tire compressor. I reached out to a bunch of existing customers, and couldn't find a complaint.

That’s great but I was thinking what would happen if a air line or bag had a leak. Could you still tow the trailer while in the lowest position or are you screwed.
Don’t get me wrong it’s a cool concept and a nice trailer, But it would be nice if they had a service team supporting there product nationwide with a longer warranty.

Tags
motor, motorcycle