Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #1

Motorhome Alignment

I know there has been a lot of discussion here about the front end alignment on motor homes. I just wanted to point out I just picked mine up from getting done and I can say it's a totally different vehicle. I can't believe I fought this thing for 17,000 miles. What a difference.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #2
law

Yes, the alignment was a big jump in handling.
I went one step further and installed the track bar and it was a even bigger leap in handling.YMMV
Old 07-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #3

An alignment made a drastic improvement on my 2860.
H.E. Ash-Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #4

These big improvements after customers do alignments is all because Forest River ships them out with less than ideal alignment settings. Sad.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
These big improvements after customers do alignments is all because Forest River ships them out with less than ideal alignment settings. Sad.
FR most likely doesn't perform or have done any alignment. Chassis is preset at factory and when body is added it's shipped. All the weight added changes suspension ride height and alignment angles change.

It's possible some early testing allowed chassis engineers to change preset angles to accomodate changes brought about when coach body was added but hard to really achieve exact results as finished weights (and it's distribution) can vary with floorplan and with different options.

Now add to that all the weight added by owner. Since owner alignments are performed when vehicle is more closely loaded to how it will be driven, there should be no surprise here at all.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
FR most likely doesn't perform or have done any alignment. Chassis is preset at factory and when body is added it's shipped. All the weight added changes suspension ride height and alignment angles change.

It's possible some early testing allowed chassis engineers to change preset angles to accomodate changes brought about when coach body was added but hard to really achieve exact results as finished weights (and it's distribution) can vary with floorplan and with different options.

Now add to that all the weight added by owner. Since owner alignments are performed when vehicle is more closely loaded to how it will be driven, there should be no surprise here at all.
I think your first paragraph is accurate. FR builds a house on the chassis and does not bother to adjust the chassis factory alignment for the added weight of the house. FR leaves it all to the customer to do so (however FR will pay up to $300 for the customer to have it done on their own time and trouble). It sure would be nice if FR would ship a properly aligned vehicle to dealers.

Our 2020 Sunseeker was outside Ford spec as delivered. It had the fixed Ford bushings installed. I had to set up an alignment with a qualified shop, pay for it, and submit the bill to FR for reimbursement. I had to work directly with FR as the dealer didn’t have a clue about the process. I suspect many buyers are not aware of the potential alignments issues and just put up with poor drivability on their motorized RV.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I know there has been a lot of discussion here about the front end alignment on motor homes. I just wanted to point out I just picked mine up from getting done and I can say it's a totally different vehicle. I can't believe I fought this thing for 17,000 miles. What a difference.

Yep I know the feeling! Like a different unit.
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by law View Post
Yes, the alignment was a big jump in handling.
I went one step further and installed the track bar and it was a even bigger leap in handling.YMMV
What track bar? Front / rear?
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I can 100% state this is a fact given my experience. I picked up my 2019 FR3 from the dealer in (Nov 2018) I immediately notice that the front end alignment was not only off the tires were not even calibrated to the computer. In short, my speedometer was off by 10 MPH, and my steering wheel was about 20 degrees off from straight.
Ive spoken to at least 2 other FR3 owners and the FORD shop at the time I had this done and it was the same thing.... at least the alignment. (not done at factory)

I went back the the dealer who said it's a FORD Warranty item and it would be 6 week to fix if I left it with them. I left.... went to a FORD shop the next day who fixed it for free under warranty.

I dont even know how the FR drove it to CA so out of alignment and the speedometer.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
I can 100% state this is a fact given my experience. I picked up my 2019 FR3 from the dealer in (Nov 2018) I immediately notice that the front end alignment was not only off the tires were not even calibrated to the computer. In short, my speedometer was off by 10 MPH, and my steering wheel was about 20 degrees off from straight.

I dont even know how the FR drove it to CA so out of alignment and the speedometer.
When you’re under contract to deliver units, not evaluate them, you do whatever it takes. Drivers are NOT Forest River employees. Forest River like all the rest, just contract out the work.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
When you’re under contract to deliver units, not evaluate them, you do whatever it takes. Drivers are NOT Forest River employees. Forest River like all the rest, just contract out the work.
I bought my coach new in CA.
Someone drove it from Indiana to CA the previous month for the CA RV Show.

I dont even know how "the driver whomever it was" drove it to CA so out of alignment and the speedometer. I would hope that when the driver arrived in CA he would have made a comment to the dealer to fix it but my point still stands.. It was [pretty unsafe for a 400 mile drive its 2000 miles to Indiana..
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #12

Alignment was a major fix for ours as well. After a 2100 mile trip I am going to take it in and have them fine tune it. Still wanders slightly and pulls slightly to the left. Du to the weights, etc. I expected it may take 2 or 3 attempts to truly dial it in.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst3 View Post
What track bar? Front / rear?
I have a 2017 3010DS and installed a Blue Ox track bar on the rear. WORLD of difference.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:38 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I replaced the front steering stabilizer a month ago and had the shocks replaced a few days ago and front wheels balanced. What a difference

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd.../in/datetaken/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, motorhome