Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 08:46 AM   #1

Motorhome leveling jacks

I have a 2006 Sunseeker motorhome. I would like to install leveling jacks, but I don’t want to spend $2,000 to $3,000. I was told by my RV repair place that scissor jacks won’t work for that motorhome. Why? Thanks for any input!
kec5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #2

Most Scissor jacks I have seen would not be strong enough, in fact they are referred to as stabilizers, not levelers because they can’t handle enough weight to actually level the RV.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:00 AM   #3

Take a look at these I see no reason they wouldn't work you are leveling not lifting the rig off the ground. JMHO

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...on/JSC-30.html
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:44 AM   #4

From the Q&A web site referenced.
Manual Stabilizing Jacks For Class C Motorhome
These manual scissors jacks are for stabilization and not for leveling, so if you want to level out your Class C Winnebago Vita motorhome then you will need leveling blocks, the Ultra-Fab Leveling Blocks for Trailers and RVs # UF48-979051. Then for stabilizing jacks, ground clearance should not be an issue, no, and what you will need depends on the distance from your frame to the ground.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Take a look at these I see no reason they wouldn't work you are leveling not lifting the rig off the ground. JMHO

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...on/JSC-30.html
What Seadog said.

Just so happens I had to replace a bent passenger side stabilizer jack. They come in different lengths, your dealer or eTrailer could help with that. Took these pictures before hand to understand how easy it would be to replace. Easy. Quick

You will most likely need the hanger bracket and U bolts which go over the frame rail extensions. As long as you have access and space for the brackets you will be ok - maybe that's why your dealer said they won't work in your case.

Shore power cord shown hanging in 2nd picture of drivers side jack.

My 2006 2860DS has 2 stabilizers in the rear and 1 in the front. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210803_095900.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	273220Click image for larger version

Name:	20210730_151955.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	273221Click image for larger version

Name:	20210730_151323.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	273222
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Crank Em Up

Any jack is going to be capable of leveling your unit IF:
It has the proper capacity.
Has a suitable mount on the frame rail of your chassis that will not cause the frame to twist.
and
Has a large enough footprint to displace the weight without burying itself into the ground.

I would suggest going with a 7,500 lb SINGLE rated scissor jack.

Scissor jacks that are generally used on trailers as stabilizers do not have the weight capacity or the footprint needed to lift a motorhome.

Back when my hair was short and I had some “they” used scissor jacks to level Class C’s. There were two on the rear and one behind the bumper in the front.

The jacks SeaDog provided a link for are 5,000 lb Single rated. They would probably work however a 2006 Sunseeker does not provide enough info for a more specific answer. A 31’ was not produced so the ones slightly under or over that mark have very different weights.

BTW, the footprint issue is easily solved with 2x12x12 chunk of lumber or a jack pad. Hard to tell which is cheaper these days. Also, a cordless impact drill driver with a 3/4” socket will make up and down a whole lot easier.

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jack, motor, motorhome