Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

mounting Big Foot controller

We have a 2015 Sunseeker 2500 with the Big Foot cable coming from under the driver's seat. We lay the controller with cable wrapped around it in a slot in the engine cover. It comes unraveled. The cable is laying on the floor and sometimes gets stepped on, which is not good. Where do you mount your controller box and how to you keep cable out of the way? Run the box under the seat and Velcro inside the unit? Thanks
UK Cards Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Cards Fan View Post
We have a 2015 Sunseeker 2500 with the Big Foot cable coming from under the driver's seat. We lay the controller with cable wrapped around it in a slot in the engine cover. It comes unraveled. The cable is laying on the floor and sometimes gets stepped on, which is not good. Where do you mount your controller box and how to you keep cable out of the way? Run the box under the seat and Velcro inside the unit? Thanks
Don't understand, mine is mounted and located in the counter wall on the left when you walk in, do you mean it's not mounted anywhere?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

No. It is not mounted. There’s Velcro on the back so we can choose where. But can’t seem to find a good spot
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #4

You can't cut in a wall by the entry door? Or route it to a storage area? I used to have a screen on my old unit mounted on a bracket in one.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

On these units the box was attached to a 5' Umbilical. You can actually stand outside the drivers door or stand inside to level. Not a bad way, just different.
On my 2014 3170 the box and Umbilical is stored under the drivers seat. My box has Velcro on the back to attaches to the side of the inside seat frame. The Umbilical is just coiled up under the seat. Sometimes it is handy, sometimes it is a pain but, that is about the only place to store it. The box is too bulky to just stick to the dash or anyplace else. When it is stored, it does not get stepped on.
The level controller is mounted under the drivers seat as well and the Umbilical is plugged into the back. Not sure where the newer units have the control box mounted.
I would like to see a picture of your controller mounted on the engine cover.
Witch Doc, we can not just cut a hole. We do not have a wall mounted controller. I will see if I can take a few pictures.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #6

Yes, please take a picture, I understand the post, but you can still reroute the cord, might have to drill some holes, but you could mount it on a bracket in a locker, is my idea. My old screen was mounted that way. I just use to park open the locker and press auto. Once that was done, I closed the locker and opened my slides. When leaving, I put the slides in then open the locker and hit retract. Need to see it.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #7

Top and backside of the controller box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6365.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	187611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6366.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	187612  
Old 09-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

Ok, I fixed all of the imbeciles, I think.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #9

Where is that brain located now? The panel is the same as mine mounted in the stair well. That controller must be behind my fireplace which is next to the entry wall. I wonder if you can get a extension to move the controller to a locker and then mount the face panel to a wall? I personally would not like that remote. I'll take a picture in the AM and post where they put mine, it's not a Sunseaker, but a Concord, but pretty much the same.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #10

The brain is located under the drivers seat. If memory serves, you could get a wireless replacement but It was $$$$ and not sure if it iS still available. Been living with mine under the seat for 5 years.

UK, give Bigfoot a call, have your serial number ready and check on options.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Where is that brain located now? The panel is the same as mine mounted in the stair well. That controller must be behind my fireplace which is next to the entry wall. I wonder if you can get a extension to move the controller to a locker and then mount the face panel to a wall? I personally would not like that remote. I'll take a picture in the AM and post where they put mine, it's not a Sunseaker, but a Concord, but pretty much the same.

WD, does your levelers operate from a single hydraulic source? A while back and I heard a new Bigfoot system operate and it was quite, really quite. Mine sounds like a coffee grinder, going up and going down. Each leveler is an enclosed system, it's own tank, hydraulic valves, just plug it in. Is yours quite.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
WD, does your levelers operate from a single hydraulic source? A while back and I heard a new Bigfoot system operate and it was quite, really quite. Mine sounds like a coffee grinder, going up and going down. Each leveler is an enclosed system, it's own tank, hydraulic valves, just plug it in. Is yours quite.
Yes, the reservoir is located in the frame behind the cab, all 4 jacks have a supply and return line. I don't know about it being quite, my old level up was quite. I really thought it was electric the first time, had to crawl underneath to check. One thing I do know is that they beefed up the mounting bracket from earlier modles.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #13

Also, I can say I like the big foot better then the level up. I really don't need to know if my rear Jack is 3 degrees off. Lippert made that system with a lot of useless information and to me causes problems. Just give me a button to push, always had some kinda of problem with the level up, mostly timing out. I like simple....

Old 09-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #14

Garrette, This is exactly the controller we have with the 5' umbilical cord as you describe. Since the brain is under driver's side, I would not want to be drilling holes in side walls that have the same material as our couch. Storing under the seat may work for us. I'm thinking of running the cord along the right side of seat, to the step down, along the back of passenger seat and then it will be by the entry door. It then could be mounted in the step well, maybe. Velcro or a flexible tube would secure cord in position. Then we would not step on it. Your coach looks exactly like ours, except we have the cab over entertainment unit. Big Foot is ALWAYS very helpful. We do love the unit except the slides!! Have you had issues with your slides? They have cost us plenty.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #15

Here are additional pictures showing my under seat storage. The only issue that i have had in 5 years was a broken pin in the gearbox under the couch slide. The bed slide has given no issues. Note, with the rear slide, hold the button in for about 10sec after extending/retracting to give the 2 stepper motors a chance to synchronize.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6368.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	187677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6369.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	187678  
Old 09-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #16

I personally do not like that set up, I think it should be mounted. I also think they sell a extension that you can add , leave the controller where it is and route the wire over to the entry way. I wouldn't want the panel bouncing around myself, here are pictures of where mine is mounted in the entry way.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180927_201048.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	187682Click image for larger version

Name:	20180927_201105.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	187683

Old 09-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #17

On my 2014 3170’s there is no room there. Heat vent and a pantry Would need to mount it to back of the dinette to the right if the entry. I will give this some thought.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6370.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	187696  
Old 09-28-2018, 03:29 AM   #18

I think that you could mount it on the top step riser face. It looks like my battery box, there is like a 2" lip on that stair which would stop anyone from tripping on it. I also can understand why yours has that remote, per big foot they do not recommend anyone being in the unit while it operates. It would be easy to use in the entry, I know that I don't need to enter to use mine. Just idea's to help you....also per your picture you could move a switch and mount the screen on that wall, I'm talking about the double switch on the lower right.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:41 AM   #19
World Wide Wanderer

That is an interesting change...

I have the controller on the long cord on my 2016 Concord. We just stuff it in the main pocket on the engine dog house. However we also have a box that goes between the seats for the dog to ride on so our cable doesn't get stepped on. I think I put it under the driver's seat a couple of times too, but for some reason stopped doing that, lazy I guess.

I actually prefer the one on the cable, I can step back into the unit and read the level on the counter top to make sure I am happy with the results.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #20

perfect fix

Got this from wally world. The lid has tabs on the inside about 1" from the rim that match perfect with the control keeping the controller forced down where it only touches the botttom of the wally world box regardless of how it is stored. Hence the buttons are not touchable with the lid on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37396-albums2177-picture16968.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	187748  
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, mount