Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #21

X2 on the scangauge. I got one and found the power curves for pulling up the mountains wasn't where I thought it was. It paid for itself the first trip through the rockies. In PA with lots of hills and steep grades we get about 7. Once we get out to the flatlands of Ohio and into the midwest states we get about 8.5 or even 9. Our rig likes 62mph on the interstates. Small towns with lots of traffic lights will kill your mileage. Watch the lights as far ahead as you can and coast to them trying not to stop. It may tick off the drivers who like to floor it then wait at the next light but they aren't filling your tank.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
Kanadian Kamper

Ever notice they never post the fuel mileage stats on the windows of RV units like you might find on brand new cars.........and it's highly unlikely you'll ever match those either?

And just who told you you'd get that fantastic mileage on your RV anyway?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #23

I put Auto Meter MPG gauges on both my RV and truck. Half the price of a Scan gauge and gives me all the info I need, is simple to use and set up is plug and play.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Ever notice they never post the fuel mileage stats on the windows of RV units like you might find on brand new cars.........and it's highly unlikely you'll ever match those either?
Automakers only put those stickers on the windows because Federal Law requires it; it's not required of RV builders - same chassis, different coach configurations, so using the Federal mileage stats wouldn't work.

It's important to understand how the mileage figures are determined, and their testing procedure doesn't reflect most peoples' driving habits. For me, I have never failed to exceed the federal mileage stats on any of my cars!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #25

2011 3170DS... Highest recorded mpg on a single tank was 10.2 mpg (central TX to Disney)...This trip overall averaged 9.6 mpg but was winter break and had almost zero gen useage. We spent the moneys saved in gas at Disney...so no worries:-)

I normally see 9-8.5 mpg all day long @62 mph. The few times I've kept up with the interstate traffic @70-75 mph... I get 7-6.5 mpg!
funfinder5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
It doesn't matter to the V-10 what you do, your going to get 8-10 and that's about it. I pull 6000 pounds behind us and I still get 8.5. Best thing you can do to push 10 is never set the cruise so you can adjust for on coming inclines. Even with the extra weight I can manage some pretty steep hills without the tranny kicking down.
X2. Cruise causes too much down shifting. I can avoid most of it with pedal control.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #27
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I put Auto Meter MPG gauges on both my RV and truck. Half the price of a Scan gauge and gives me all the info I need, is simple to use and set up is plug and play.
Like this? Any other tips on them? Where do they plug in. this is what I want.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #28

12-13mpg may be right on a sprinter chassis, but not a V-10 with a brick on it`s back. I average 7 mpg at 17k lbs combined weight! 8-8.5 on a newer V-10 is about right. you may see low 9`s after some miles.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Like this? Any other tips on them? Where do they plug in. this is what I want.

Yes, it plugs into the computer port just under the dash on the drivers side as long as your vehicle is no older than the late 90's.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
3100. Best barometer is spring break trip from Cincinnati to Disney in Florida. Some hills in Kentucky and Tennessee. Kept it around 65 MPH (with some 70 MPH). No toad. Bike rack on back with 4 bikes. Fresh tank was a third full. A lot of stuff (wife thought the sinks in the unit weren't enough so threw in the kitchen sink!). Averaged 7.7 MPG. Had a couple tanks in the high 6's and a couple in the low 8's.
What a difference speed makes! Had a longer trip this past weekend & deliberately drove slower as had some time. Cincinnati to Sandusky, Ohio (Lake Erie / Cedar Point area). Flat terrain. Locked the cruise on 65 MPH this time (the wife says I was much between 70 - 75 MPH for the trip above). No toad. Bike rack on back with 4 bikes. Fresh tank was full. Not quite as much stuff but definitely not lacking either. 9.2 MPG.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #31

Our 2013 Chevy 4500 2860 gets 10mpg using the dash digital mph gauge. Thats with HW and local driving.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #32

My 2011 Sunseeker 2300 with the E350 gets about 9mpg on the highway. I try to keep it at 60mph. My question is whether there is a big difference in mpg between 60 and 65 mph. I would like to drive at 65, but not at greatly increased cost.
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #33

Everything said here about the 10cyl gas motors is true - they will pull stumps but nobody I know with one ever got better that about 9mpg average.

And most people posting here are getting around 8-10, I assume most are on gas also.

I must be the real excpetion here:

2006 Dodge 2500 with 3.73 rear gear with common rail 5.9 cummins diesel. Curently pulling 7400lb empty (8500lb loaded) trailer on flat ground (everything is flat in Louisiana )
Keeping it under 65 (no cruse - although as flat as it is here it may not matter). I am getting 13mpg (sometimes on back roads at 55mph I am getting 14mpg) the truck usually get over 20mpg empty in same driving conditions.

I have to admit after owning a few campers my last one was a 7600lb V-Nose bumperpull and it too got around 13mpg (big improvment over previous rig "Brick trailer - flat front" with Ford Powerstroke trk) I swore I would never own another flat front brick trailer - it seems that around 60-65mph I would hit a wind resistance wall and I had to push the petal down quite a bit and sucking a lot more fuel just to go a few miles per hour faster with that brick.
BTW with the 6500lb Brick and a Ford 6.0 Powerstroke - my previous rig, I could only average 10mpg on flat ground. I think the cummins may have done better even towing the brick.

Anyway so I figured after learing these lessons my future camping rigs - stay under 8K pounds, stay under 65mph, and buy arodynamic trailer.

My current 5th wheel not much taller than truck and pretty arodynamic front cap horse trailer style (getting 13mpg):
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #34

Wonder if Amsoil will make much of a difference.
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
Wonder if Amsoil will make much of a difference.
It will make your rods fly out the side of your block if that's the difference your looking for.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #36

DaveGood,

It's 62MPH in our 2013 Chevy 4500 2860 for 10MPH....so far
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #37

Sorry, But Amsoil is flat out the best oil money can buy.
I wouldn't leave home with out it.........
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Molly View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree. We were sponsored by them once and it's the first company I said no thanks to! From the amount of blown up engines we had I wouldn't run it in my neighbors lawn mower.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post

We will just have to agree to disagree. We were sponsored by them once and it's the first company I said no thanks to! From the amount of blown up engines we had I wouldn't run it in my neighbors lawn mower.
Unless you don't like your neighbor
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Molly View Post
I have no dispute with the quality of Amsoil's product. Their Euro oil does meet MB Spec 229.51 - a very rigid specification, and has MB approval

What I DON'T like about Amsoil is their Sales scheme - working through backyard jobbers. Whenever I've priced Amsoil vs Mobil1 (which I've used for the last 35 years in all my vehicles), there has always been a ridiculous price difference.

Like the wise old prophet said" "You pays your money and you takes your chance!"
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg