Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Question Mpg

When we bought our 2013 3010 DS, we were told we should average about 12 - 13 mpg. I thought that was a bit optimistic.
After several trips I found we average 8 - 8.5 mpg.
That on fairly level roads (interstates) driving between 60 - 65 miles per hour, and not overloaded. We have the Ford V10 - engine and use the cruise control as much as possible.
I'd be interested to know what some of you guys out there average.
By the way, there is less than 2,000 miles on the engine. I'm hoping that will improve once the engine gets broken in a little more.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Molly View Post
When we bought our 2013 3010 DS, we were told we should average about 12 - 13 mpg. I thought that was a bit optimistic.
After several trips I found we average 8 - 8.5 mpg.
Optimistic is being kind! I get about 8 mpg with my new 3050S while pulling a toad.

Wes
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

I doubt you'd EVER get 12-13mpg, even unloaded, no toad, and empty tanks! I think when someone asks a salesman "what kind of mileage does it get" that's a trigger for the salesman that mileage is very important, so naturally - like most salesmen - they bump it up a bit, in your case by about 25%

Our salesman only fudged by maybe 10% or so when we bought our Solera - he said 16-17mpg, and we've been getting mostly 13.5-15. Of course, at my ripe old age I've heard all the fibs, and don't believe any of them. I don't know anyone who's been getting 16mpg with their Solera.

That being said, your driving style can impact the mileage greatly. A light load, a light foot, downshifting on hills to stay within the torque curve, maintaining constant speeds if possible - all have a bearing. You'd be surprised at how much weight you can add to a coach with just what we consider "essentials" which aren't really essential! I installed ScanGauge on my Solera, and it really helps in maximizing mileage (and alerting to any problems with engine, etc.).

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Wow, 12-13. I correct every salesperson I hear saying that.

I typically say "8-10. I have heard as high as 12...but I'm guessing that was downhill"

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Your current mpg's sound right for the gasser...if you had a diesel engine powertrain, I'd say you would get that 12mpg in that model layout.

As others stated, salesman stretched that answer a bit to you.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

My #3051S currently on it's first trip is getting 8.34, 7.65 & 8.10 on fill-ups during the 700 miles. But, I am heavy and towing a Toyoda Tacoma pickup that weighted in at 4440 lbs on the Pilot truck scale. I was averaging 9.0 on my 40 foot Diesel Pusher now traded in for a this Class "C".

BTW...I hope to lighten my load a few hundred pounds. Plus have ordered a water meter to accurately gauge the amount of water I am carrying. The LED tanks lights are just not providing me enough information.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

We got between 7 and 8 on our rental 31' Coachmen. I was averaging 65, though. No difference in mileage by using premium, either.
What do they say? Uphill, downhill, engine on, engine off... LOL
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #8

3100. Best barometer is spring break trip from Cincinnati to Disney in Florida. Some hills in Kentucky and Tennessee. Kept it around 65 MPH (with some 70 MPH). No toad. Bike rack on back with 4 bikes. Fresh tank was a third full. A lot of stuff (wife thought the sinks in the unit weren't enough so threw in the kitchen sink!). Averaged 7.7 MPG. Had a couple tanks in the high 6's and a couple in the low 8's.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Mega Member

Yes, I agree....your experience is what you can expect. I have a 3100 (Ford V10) and on a recent trip from Texas (Houston) to Florida (Disney) and back, we averaged 7.8 -8.1.
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

Just finished a 2000 mile trip pulling a car on a dolly, total weight about 3500 lbs. My speed was normally in the 60 range and I got 8.7 mpg with a 3120.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #11

It doesn't matter to the V-10 what you do, your going to get 8-10 and that's about it. I pull 6000 pounds behind us and I still get 8.5. Best thing you can do to push 10 is never set the cruise so you can adjust for on coming inclines. Even with the extra weight I can manage some pretty steep hills without the tranny kicking down.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Incheon, S. Korea

That's exactly what I found. The cruise control downshifts too easily and really makes the engine scream. I just disengage cruise control and let the RV slow down without it downshifting. When it finally downshifts, it's not at 4,000+ RPM like it does with the cruise on.
Also, when climbing really steep hills the tranny may get too hot. Then the ECU cuts the engine power (which can freak you out) until it cools again. I found this out going from Scottsdale to Hoover Dam.
Oh, what fun thinking you're going to be stranded on an incline like that...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #13

If I drive 62 MPH, on my truck I get 8.5. If I drive 65-70 MPH, I get 7 tops. 62 MPH on my truck is the sweet spot.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Plain Old Member

I guess I'm an odd ball. Fuel economy stinks on these, but I didn't get into RVing to save money for sure. We probably get 6-7. We run 70, sometimes more, genset and roof AC on, cab AC running, and anything else we want, as that's why we bought a motorhome. Comfort and convenience. Ill pay the price for comfort, and to be able to drive the speed limit. Drives like a dream at 70, and I didn't get ran over in Houston today. That's just how we roll.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

BigJohnD:
Guess I'm a bigger oddball! I usually drive 3-5 mph BELOW the speed limit. In retirement, I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere, and that way I don't usually have to worry about running up behind slower moving traffic all the time! Although we do have a fuel efficient MH, that's not the reason I drive slowly. But I do agree with you on the rest of it. SWMBO and I like to be comfortable, and never got into RVing to save money. (Hate to total up what we've spent over the past 40 years.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Plain Old Member

Unfortunately, for now, we're always on a time crunch schedule. We're far from retired, but blessed enough to live like a semi-retired family. Work 6 months a year, travel the other 6 months, kids home schooled etc. 21 / 21 day work / off rotation. I'm sure we'll slow down one day. For now though, gotta be here by this time, there by that day. I respect others opinions and preferences.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Unfortunately, for now, we're always on a time crunch schedule. We're far from retired, but blessed enough to live like a semi-retired family. Work 6 months a year, travel the other 6 months, kids home schooled etc. 21 / 21 day work / off rotation. I'm sure we'll slow down one day. For now though, gotta be here by this time, there by that day. I respect others opinions and preferences.
Well, unfortunately I know exactly what you mean! During my working career I usually covered anywhere from 4 to 7 states, and was always trying to GET THERE! John, you sound like someone who's gonna enjoy full retirement to the max!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Indeed we will. Counting down the years slowly but surely. I've watched my dad go from one extreme to the other in the last few years. Fast paced work, to slow and taking it easy. My wife and I definitely look forward to those days ahead.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #19
Incheon, S. Korea

My dad did the same, but my friend's dad was busier in retirement! I look forward to making sure my camping chairs don't run off into the trees and turning wood into ashes...
Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #20

The best solution is to get a ScanGuage, gives MPG readout, then play a game with your hubby on who can get the best gas milage as you drive.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg