Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
21 Forest River Sunseeker

My recent and helpful E450 dash modification

Thought I would post my recent dash modification to my 2021 Sunseeker cause I thought it was pretty cool, and has made the dash much more usable.

You can see in the pics that I took out the change compartment thing above the touchscreen and replaced it with my own creation. My own creation being a 3d printed panel that has a phone holder mount on the far left, a USB/voltmeter and then three switches. The phone holder was the original intent because there was no good place to put my phone. This sets it in the perfect place to pull up a map application on my phone. The USB ports are nice to help charge the phone, and the three switches help to fill up space, but also serve a purpose. The left switch will disable the Blind spot detection if it is having false positives due to towing something. The middle switch turns off the BSD buzzer (my dog is terrified of it and goes and hides when it goes off.) I think I'm going to have the right switch turn off the trigger for the turn cameras to go on. They are nice on the highway, but not at all helpful when driving down country roads and turning.

The second pic is the actual design. I made tabs so this unit will actually snap into the existing tabs so there is no need for external screws. That gives it a nice clean look and you can barely tell that it's a mod.

Anyway, I thought this was pretty cool so I figured this group may appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E450Dash.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	261706   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVE450Dashcomponent.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	261707  
Ohio_Funseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #2

Very nice! What is the BSD buzzer?
Old 08-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulvey View Post
Very nice! What is the BSD buzzer?
Thanks.. BSD=Blind Spot Detection.

So the buzzer that goes off when there is a car in your "blind spot" and you put your turn signal on.

In reality, the mirrors are so dang good, don't really need the BSD, but it's there.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

How soon are you ready to take orders?
And……like everything else…..I assume “just pay separate shipping and handling” as the voice always says.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
How soon are you ready to take orders?
And……like everything else…..I assume “just pay separate shipping and handling” as the voice always says.
lol, I love messing around with 3d design. Fun little hobby.

But heck, if you're interested in one, I'd be happy to print one out for ya. Just pay shipping. I have switches I could throw in it, but you'd just need to buy the USB port. Easy enough.

This is all just fun for me. But if it works awesome and people want to pay for it, cool..
Old 08-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #6

That's a very well done modification. I did the same with an aluminum plate, but yours look like a factory piece.

I think you could launch a small side business selling these things.
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:12 AM   #7

Very nice! I just used that spot to shove my ScanGauge into so my wife can yell at me when we're low on fuel.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
That's a very well done modification. I did the same with an aluminum plate, but yours look like a factory piece.

I think you could launch a small side business selling these things.
Thanks, I appreciate it.. Yeah, that area on the dash is odd. Just begging for something better to be done with it. Aluminum would look cool there though..
Old 08-27-2021, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
Very nice! I just used that spot to shove my ScanGauge into so my wife can yell at me when we're low on fuel.
Nice, definitely a good use for that spot.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #10

My Air Bag and Train Horn Mod

Nice! Here is my mod. We got tired of manual air bag adjustment, plus train horn works well when getting cut off in traffic. haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air bag Control.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	261751  
CleteNKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleteNKim View Post
Nice! Here is my mod. We got tired of manual air bag adjustment, plus train horn works well when getting cut off in traffic. haha
That looks awesome!! I'm assuming you have automatic controllers on the airbags, that's nice. Mine are both manual, but that would be awesome to be able to control them from the dash. great idea!!

I prefer your dash with the touchscreen embedded better too. I'm not a huge fan of the protruding touchscreen for 2021 models. I'll have to see if I can improve that too.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #12

X 2. Very nice mod and I too am not a fan of the protruding display.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #13

I have the 2018 Ford on my 2019 Forester. I use that slot you adapted to hold 2 of my walkie-talkies we use when backing up.

One thing I noticed right-away is the protruding screen when it came out on the '21. I can't believe such a poor design that I can imagine how easy it could get hooked, caught and broken. If someone can come up with a better design, it sure would beat the current mindless lazy design.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #14

Yes, pretty cool indeed! Great work and thanks for sharing.
Redding, CA (way up north)
Patten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, e450