Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name your price for LED's

What would you be willing to pay for LED lights in place of all the ceiling lights in a Class C?

Just an FYI, testing shows (with about 32 lights on) they last 6 times longer than incandescent lights. Not sure about the heat savings...but I'm guessing its a good amount.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #2

I found a user who has started a business selling these to other RVers on the R-Pod User group. I changed out all of our bulbs inside and out for about $75.00. I recently ask him about our new Surveyor and we are sending him a list of bulb sizes but last time they cost between $ 4.00 and $7.50 depending on the size. I think the most expensive was the out door light that had a significant number of LED's. Certainly nothing like what the RV dealers sell for. We used those for 42 nights of camping and never had a problem so they were dependable. In answer to your questions I would say $ 4.00 to $8.00.
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Let's say $6 as a round average. Typical 30 lights in a 30' unit, so $180 a coach. I just looked at replacing light bulbs in my garage (currently CFL take too long to get bright) and it was $60 per bulb (for a 900 lumens flood)

Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #4

I'd pay a couple hundred extra for manufacturer installed first quality LEDs. Will likely be switching everything over this winter. Too busy now just enjoying camping.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Why wouldn't you look at a 'dry camping' option...led lights, pair of 6V batteries and 1500W inverter.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
What would you be willing to pay for LED lights in place of all the ceiling lights in a Class C?

Just an FYI, testing shows (with about 32 lights on) they last 6 times longer than incandescent lights. Not sure about the heat savings...but I'm guessing its a good amount.

i'm not an expert on led pricing but I would pay 200 dollars for an upgrade to all LED lights. not because of how long they last but because they use up far less battery capacity.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:

Why make it an option? Just do it. Let's say the average Class C costs $35,000 (I just pulled a number out of the air) to produce and sells for $55,000 (another number I pulled out of the air). Is anyone going to balk if it changes to $35,200 and and the new sales price becomes $55,400? It's the right thing to do and people want it.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #8

I picked up some of these

Amazon.com: 4X T10 Car High Power 168 194 W5W White 42 SMD 1206 LED Wedge Light Bulb Lamp 12V for Car RV Light: Automotive

And these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

They work great
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

I just paid $12 ($2 a piece) for six 24 LED 134 Style LED bulbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	17007

I also paid $16.50 for six 48 LED panels which will work in a 134 Style socket or a bayonet bulb holder.

Name:   LED 2.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  48.3 KB

This was from the popular auction site Flea Bay. These bulbs draw approximately 1/8th to 1/10th the power of incandescent bulbs and last practically forever. I also got the warm colored bulbs over the bright white colored bulbs for a more "normal" light. Experimentation will reveal which bulbs suit my purposes best. Did I say that I didn't even have my trailer yet? I'm in the process of getting my vehicle ready and will hopefully pick up my A124 hardside pop up in the next two weeks. My plan is to be a boondocking fool.

How crazy is it to be buying parts and accessories for something you don't even own yet?
Maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
Why make it an option? Just do it. Let's say the average Class C costs $35,000 (I just pulled a number out of the air) to produce and sells for $55,000 (another number I pulled out of the air). Is anyone going to balk if it changes to $35,200 and and the new sales price becomes $55,400? It's the right thing to do and people want it.
We wouldn't make it an option...it would be standard. I was just trying to get a perceived value for it. I find 90% of buyers would rather it just "be on there". I know there are many industrial users on this site that have no problem tracking down online deals...but at least it gives me an idea.

As for "it's only $200". Trust me...dealers care. We're constantly being weighed against our competitors. The dealer has to stock it before you get to look at it and buy it. You beat them up on price, they beat us up on price...it's always a balancing act. ON the bright side our Class C's were #1 in retail sales last year and so far this year...so our dealers are not quite as brutal about price once its on their lot and is selling well, but we never want to get complacent.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens

We wouldn't make it an option...it would be standard. I was just trying to get a perceived value for it. I find 90% of buyers would rather it just "be on there". I know there are many industrial users on this site that have no problem tracking down online deals...but at least it gives me an idea.

As for "it's only $200". Trust me...dealers care. We're constantly being weighed against our competitors. The dealer has to stock it before you get to look at it and buy it. You beat them up on price, they beat us up on price...it's always a balancing act. ON the bright side our Class C's were #1 in retail sales last year and so far this year...so our dealers are not quite as brutal about price once its on their lot and is selling well, but we never want to get complacent.
We just purchased a Sunseeker. We had never even considered a class c until seeing the 3010 ds design. But we are going to change out all the bulbs to led as the standard bulbs are hot and probably use a lot of current.

Do you have recommendations on the manufacturer to buy them from?
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranatha
I just paid $12 ($2 a piece) for six 24 LED 134 Style LED bulbs.

I also paid $16.50 for six 48 LED panels which will work in a 134 Style socket or a bayonet bulb holder.

This was from the popular auction site Flea Bay. These bulbs draw approximately 1/8th to 1/10th the power of incandescent bulbs and last practically forever. I also got the warm colored bulbs over the bright white colored bulbs for a more "normal" light. Experimentation will reveal which bulbs suit my purposes best. Did I say that I didn't even have my trailer yet? I'm in the process of getting my vehicle ready and will hopefully pick up my A124 hardside pop up in the next two weeks. My plan is to be a boondocking fool.

How crazy is it to be buying parts and accessories for something you don't even own yet?
Thanks you very much for the suggestions.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #13

I don't know. I changed out the ceiling lights in my 5'er, for about 350.00, and in one year they started to disrupt the TV. I used ones from CW, I found a great color and the heat is nothing compared to the factory standard. If the quality was proven and the circuitry was shielded, I would opt for them.

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #14

Maybe a dumb question but here goes... If I don't dry camp, there isn't a big advantage with the LED's vs standard bulbs is there? I think the LED's main benefit is it uses less battery power if dry camping.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #15

Paulmlac - Thats exactly why I replaced mine...

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Maybe a dumb question but here goes... If I don't dry camp, there isn't a big advantage with the LED's vs standard bulbs is there? I think the LED's main benefit is it uses less battery power if dry camping.
Another advantage is they don't throw as much heat.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #17

I bought a couple of 36 LED lights on ebay about 6 months ago to try them out. IIRC, they were $3.68 each including shipping from China! Just burned out an incand. bulb and thought it was time to install the new LED ones. Lo and behold, one was defective.....

I would not hesitate to buy more at $3.68 delivered to our door. I could pay around 10 times this price in RV stores for what I assume would be pretty much the same thing.

I have to say that I am not highly impressed with the light quality of these lights, but they are what they are. A bit too glary and harsh for me and although the ones I bought are called "warm white" they are too far off incand. for my tastes. But as an elec. eng., I am way more critical on this sort of thing than most.

We don't expect to do much dry camping but you cannot argue with the longetivity and greatly reduced heat output of LED lights.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
Commercial Member

In testing, I can hold my hand on the LED light after 10-20 minutes. NO WAY are you doing that with an Incandescent bulb. They are definitely bright. We would probably need to take a few out in some areas. We are testing them with a dimmer switch as well, I'm not sure if the switches are ready for it yet...the lights work fine dimming. The switch seemed to struggle with maintaining the correct voltages.

I like the idea of the reduced heat (especially this summer) and much longer lasting bulbs. The energy efficiency is nice but I don't dry camp...although it's always nice if you can be a little "greener".

Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In testing, I can hold my hand on the LED light after 10-20 minutes. NO WAY are you doing that with an Incandescent bulb. They are definitely bright. We would probably need to take a few out in some areas. We are testing them with a dimmer switch as well, I'm not sure if the switches are ready for it yet...the lights work fine dimming. The switch seemed to struggle with maintaining the correct voltages.

I like the idea of the reduced heat (especially this summer) and much longer lasting bulbs. The energy efficiency is nice but I don't dry camp...although it's always nice if you can be a little "greener".
Consider the "Warm White" LED bulbs versus the typical bright white. The warm white are closer in color to the incan bulbs that are used today. IMHO, the bright white bulbs are far too harsh for inside use. Those bright whites work well in work areas and cargo spaces, however.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #20

Quote:

would this be sunseekers also
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote