Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Erinn

Need Advice on Rear Mud/Splash "Protector"

Have a 2018 Sunseeker 2420MS, 25' Motor Home.

Looking for recommendations for a REAR mud/splash guard thing - tired of the entire back of motor home looking trashed (w/dirt & mud!) 20 mins into wherever we're going, as well as our TOAD (Smart Car on a trailer) also getting trashed/pelted with mud, dirt & etc.

Was thinking of one of those "brush" things (less weight), IF they actually work, or if anyone has the rubber kind & recommends those...

Appreciate any recommendations. THX!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

I use the type you see,on the trailers,of UPS tractor trailers. Keeps the vehicle on the trailer pretty clean other then side spray from passing vehicles.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
Have a 2018 Sunseeker 2420MS, 25' Motor Home.

Looking for recommendations for a REAR mud/splash guard thing - tired of the entire back of motor home looking trashed (w/dirt & mud!) 20 mins into wherever we're going, as well as our TOAD (Smart Car on a trailer) also getting trashed/pelted with mud, dirt & etc.

Was thinking of one of those "brush" things (less weight), IF they actually work, or if anyone has the rubber kind & recommends those...

Appreciate any recommendations. THX!
Not sure where you’re driving that your rig looking trashed 20 minutes into your travels. What kind of roads are you on? I’ve seen lots of RVs without mud/splash guards and they look fine.

Then in my situation.....I have the solid rubber side to side rubber guard at the rear of my motorhome to help protect my toad from road debris. Some prefer them, others not. It’s a personal choice. I chose the solid rubber versus the “brush “ type you mention. Many more transport trailers have solid than the “brush” design seen on UPS vehicles. Once again, your choice.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Erinn

We drive on highways in the Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot. I may have exaggerated a bit with my "20 minutes" but it DID look pretty bad when we stopped to pick up something, 45 mins from home.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #5

The back of the mh will still get dirty because of the way air flows into the space... Way back when, I had a van with a reverse wing sort of deal which directed air flow down the back to cut down on the swirl action.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
The back of the mh will still get dirty because of the way air flows into the space... Way back when, I had a van with a reverse wing sort of deal
Showing our age aren’t we? You talking about when they called them
“shaggin wagons”?

My buddy had one with a decal that read....
Don’t laugh....your daughter rides in here!

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #7

The UPS "brooms"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use the type you see,on the trailers,of UPS tractor trailers. Keeps the vehicle on the trailer pretty clean other then side spray from passing vehicles.
The UPS "brooms" on the sides of the trailer are a real public service. Pass a UPS truck in a rain/snow storm and it's good visibility all the way. Pass a regular semi-trailer and you're going by instinct, not vision, because you are blinded by the spray. Every semi-trailer should have them.

Don't get me started on dually dump trucks with no mud flaps. That rant is for another day.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
We drive on highways in the Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot. I may have exaggerated a bit with my "20 minutes" but it DID look pretty bad when we stopped to pick up something, 45 mins from home.
We use the solid mud flaps on our truck. Still get a little splash but, it helps a lot. Don't think you are exaggerating on the 20 min. thing. We live on a dirt road and when it is raining - or sometimes not - it takes only the 5 minute drive to the paved road to get things really messed up. At 20 minutes, we would need a shovel to get the road off. (yes, I mean "road" - dirt is too kind!) Power washers are our friend!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Solid mud flaps on our Sunseeker MH !
Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #10

need to know

OK Geenman53 you got my attention.. Got 4 of the 5w's. Got the who, when, where, and why. Tell us the what. Got a part num and source?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #11

My Sunseeker came with mud flaps just behind the duel wheels. I added the UltraGuard to the rear. It has worked well by the amount of damage to the front side.
I blew a tire several years ago and the UltraGuard was bent around 45deg on the end. I feel that the UltraGuard deflected the rubber tread away from the toad.
Some say that the solid rubber guard vs the grass style skirts decreases MPG. I do not know. But I just think the solid guard will protect the toad a bit better.
Now, do not get me wrong, there will be small bits of gravel in the windshield wiper valley bouncing off the window. So it does not stop all of the junk, just the big stuff.
As far a dirt on the rear, I just do not think any guard will help that.
I have looked at Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Welcome but have not seen any on RV's and I look. They are supposed to keep the rear cleaner and imcrease MPG.

I have inserted a picture of the backside of my UltraGuard. The far darker spots are actually holes. Oh, my UltraGuard clears the roadway by about 1-1/2". I have had it for 5 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	473.3 KB
ID:	201329  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #12
Erinn

Ken&Terry - Did YOU read this?!!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #13
Chief tinkerer

Rear Mud/Splash "Protector"

We started using protect-a-tow to save the front of the toad. Discovered a side benefit was that you no longer have the swirling muddy mist behind the RV that you are talking about. Back of the rig stays fairly clean. Close up of the difference it makes on the front of the toad. You can see the area that is not protected. Plan to add some fabric "ears" to each side to cover this area too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	protect-a-tow.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	201380  

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Ken&Terry - Did YOU read this?!!
I’ve re-read this entire thread. Not sure what you’re getting at. I’ve got the solid rubber Ultra Guard (sold at Camping World in case you’re wondering)

No significant damage to either of our toads over the years, but yes....finer dirt and gravel in windshield tray at base of windshield as mentioned.

Ken and Terry
Old 04-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
Erinn

kenandterry: You first posted - "Not sure where you’re driving that your rig is looking trashed 20 minutes into your travels. What kind of roads are you on? I’ve seen lots of RVs without mud/splash guards and they look fine."

I had to chuckle, when ProfChuck posted this, basically saying they feel my pain, in terms of the RV looking trashed in 20 mins; nothing more than that.

ProfChuck We use the solid mud flaps on our truck. Still get a little splash but, it helps a lot. Don't think you are exaggerating on the 20 min. thing. We live on a dirt road and when it is raining - or sometimes not - it takes only the 5 minute drive to the paved road to get things really messed up. At 20 minutes, we would need a shovel to get the road off. (yes, I mean "road" - dirt is too kind!) Power washers are our friend!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #16

The aerodynamic vacuum behind an RV is what causes dirt to be "sucked" onto the rear surfaces. Flaps and other gadgets might make it worse.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
Kanadian Kamper

Just adding to this dirt thing......

In our house we have both a conventional shaped 4 door sedan, and for our toad, I have a mid sized SUV. Given we both drive the same roads in and around home, we’ll always see the rear of my vehicle is dirtier than my wife’s. It all has to do with the aerodynamics because SUVs are more squarish at the rear compared to a conventional sedan. Hence, you notice SUVs and station wagons are usually equipped with rear windshield wipers, whereas cars are not.

RV units, motorhome or 5th wheel or travel trailer, are shaped like a brick and will exaggerate the dirt swirled up behind. It’s just the nature of the beasts.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program on mud/splash protectors.

Ken and Terry
Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #18

Need Advice on Rear Mud/Splash "Protector"

I have mud flaps full width of the duelies and an UltraGuard rear flap. I also use a front bra for my Outback. With that, I have had no rock damage in the 5 years of towing but, nothing will stop the rear of the RV and the toad from getting dirty.
I looked into a product called AirTabs but never purchased because, I have never seen them in use on the road, on RV's nor trailers. Good luck and if you come up,with a solution, please share.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #19
Senior Gold Member

I’m with Garrette - full width mud flap and LeBra on my Toyota Corolla iM but I haven’t been on gravel, mud or snow yet. Interestingly enough LeBra says in their literature and I phoned them about it that “ the bra shouldn’t be used for towing because of the forces of air turbulence”. I towed twice now with my bra on now problems yet!

Tags
sunseeker