Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2022, 11:34 PM   #41

I have mixed feelings.

My dealer claimed the plumbing from the factory was still pressurized. The said they had no antifreeze to test it.

Likely bs!

Everything was fine. However I know how to winterize in minutes with several gallons of antifreeze. Or with compressed air.

All is easy except you will have water to get rid of in all the tanks. However, there would be no waste. Could take the rv home and dump the water in a 5 gallon paint bucket.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:53 PM   #42

Need Positive Thoughts

Always check every system, try every switch. Che engine fluids, tire pressure, etc.

I had the Forester, sister to the Sunseeker. Yes a number of issues had to be addressed, but once all was fixed, by local body shop and factory, I loved the unit.I only wished it was 50 A with a second A/C.

Oh, and find a good mobile tech. Dealers are often horrible places to get work done - seldom done in a timely fashion, in my experience.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLynn View Post
It’s both scary - so much breaking on first trip out - and very encouraging to know Forest River took care of everything. Thanks!!

I think i jinxed myself. On my way to Florida yesterday my generator stopped working and i could not get it restarted. And here is the biggie. While i was on I-95 south my rooftop solar panels blew off the top of my Rv. They are currently sitting on the road. I made it to Disney. But what a trip it was. Currently looking for a replacement solar panel. Can’t believe they just blew off the roof!
Old 02-19-2022, 12:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFAMof6 View Post
I think i jinxed myself. On my way to Florida yesterday my generator stopped working and i could not get it restarted. And here is the biggie. While i was on I-95 south my rooftop solar panels blew off the top of my Rv. They are currently sitting on the road. I made it to Disney. But what a trip it was. Currently looking for a replacement solar panel. Can’t believe they just blew off the roof!

I happened to catch a problem with my factory solar panel attachment. I have posted that here some time ago with pics... the Dicor blobs covering the attachment screws came off while i was cleaning the panel. They were not stainless screws and water intrusion had rusted them nearly in half. No water spots inside the coach, i was just LUCKY to find it. I was able to back them out, reinforce the holes and replace with stainless. Dicor under, over and in the holes. AND periodic check!! In my mind I figured i would lose the panel if i had not caught this and you just confirmed that!

The factory should switch to stainless fasteners for some parts especially on the roof. Another instance of a factory "mistake" was in the storage door frame on drivers side rear. The attachment screws, again not stainless, were installed on the outside of the weather seal rim. Water pooling there rusted the screws. I moved the screw placement to the inside and plugged the old holes. This would be a no cost improvement by the factory, stainless not even needed because inside the coach. (if Kary is listening)
Old 02-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #45

That would be great if it was a no cost replacement by FR. Hopefully someone is listening
Old 02-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #46

Quote:
That would be great if it was a no cost replacement by FR. Hopefully someone is listening

well, i don't know if they are all the way mine was. I got no confirmations from others to either of those problem posts and i haven't examined other Foresters, so maybe it was just the guy on duty that day. It is quite easy to see when you open the storage bay door - which side of the weather stripping are the screws on? inside dry or outside where the water is!!

YMMV
Old 02-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #47

Unfortunately no way to know as I’m no longer in possession of the panel or screws. 🤷*♂️
Old 02-19-2022, 01:07 PM   #48
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Unfortunately no way to know as I’m no longer in possession of the panel or screws. 🤷*♂️
Know by the rust stains around the holes where the screws used to be.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:09 PM   #49

Quote:

so you have 6 holes in the roof (per panel)?? Mine is the single 100W flat ABS GoPower brand i think. The Dicor (and others i guess) does not like to stick to the ABS easily; i cleaned repeatedly with alcohol before i got a good seal. I might go with acetone next time i need to clean that well. Also i used the "dogbowl" dished stainless steel washers with Stainless screws - like a boat fix.
I had imagined that the cables would keep it attached to the RV when the screws failed and it might just lay over on the roof... i guess you have absolutely answered any questions in that department!
Old 02-19-2022, 01:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Know by the rust stains around the holes where the screws used to be.

There definitely are rust stains. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #51
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'll be going on roof in Spring and checking my flex OEM GoPower panel too. Maybe give a little tug around edges to make sure nothing breaks free.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I'll be going on roof in Spring and checking my flex OEM GoPower panel too. Maybe give a little tug around edges to make sure nothing breaks free.

Kris, mine looked fine at first. Dicor blobs on every screw. but the blobs spun when i bumped them during the cleaning. They were stuck to the screw head but not to the panel itself... so not sealing. screws were wet when extracted. nearly rusted in half, barely came out without breaking.

I estimate the age at that point as about a year old from date of manufacture.
Edit** correction on that date - RV purchased May 2020, screws found September 2021. i think i got one of the last 2020's with the microwave venthood over the stove. Possibly 2 years old at that point.
Good luck!
Old 02-19-2022, 08:49 PM   #53

.Marylynn. ..Congratulations on you new motorhome. So happy for yinz. I wish you all well and many happy adventures.. it is scary not knowing, and reading all the things.I know it very well. We order our sunseeker at the end of August. Been at the paint shop since December and we are still waiting for it to come in cant get straight answere where its at now.. How long did it take for yours to come? You got a lot of support on this site.

Best thing go in with that pdi in hand. It be nice also to have a person like duck on your side when you walk in. He has the right attitude . You too can have that spirit. Well good luck. And let us know how it goes.
Sonseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:27 AM   #54

Don't see where anybody has suggested this. Probably too late now, but...

Why not simply delay picking up the RV until late March, or when the danger of freezing is over. Have the dealer demo the entire unit at that time. There will be no danger of freezing (hopefully) and you don't have to get it winterized by them until next fall.