Old 06-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Need to Replace Back Up Camera

Last year I was having issues with my rear RVS camera, picture was only black and white and switching to the sides camera's was an issue. RVS had a sale so I bought one to replace it this spring. Of course when spring arrived it was working fine so I decided to wait to see what happens. Then on our first trip this weekend, the camera started acting up again with the same symptoms. My guess is that it's heat related as it seems to have a problem when it's warm and sunny.

So now that I have to replace it I need to go back and figure out the process. It seems others have pulled down the inside crown molding to access the wiring but I'm wondering if that is the only option. And if you have to pull down the crown molding, what is the best way to do so without damaging it and then how do you replace it?

newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #2

Just before our road trip last week I decided to try and replace the camera. On some other threads people have indicated that they have been able to pull out the 3 ft camera lead cable through the exterior hole, plug in the new camera , mount it on the rear wall and off they go. I was hoping that might also work for me but such is not the case. I was able to demount the camera easy enough but could only pull out about 2ft of the 3ft lead cable. Either the connector is hung up on something inside and will not allow the remaining cable to be pulled through, or, the inside extension cable to the front cab was not terminated near the rear opening and I will not be able to remove the remaining cable without somehow disconnecting the lead and extension cables from the inside. Since the opening is only the size of the grommet (see pics), I cannot see inside to determine which situation I am dealing with although I am considering purchasing a cheap endoscope camera that work with my phone to try and see whats going on behind the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_143108.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	210615   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_143044.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	210616  

Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Just before our road trip last week I decided to try and replace the camera. On some other threads people have indicated that they have been able to pull out the 3 ft camera lead cable through the exterior hole, plug in the new camera , mount it on the rear wall and off they go. I was hoping that might also work for me but such is not the case. I was able to demount the camera easy enough but could only pull out about 2ft of the 3ft lead cable. Either the connector is hung up on something inside and will not allow the remaining cable to be pulled through, or, the inside extension cable to the front cab was not terminated near the rear opening and I will not be able to remove the remaining cable without somehow disconnecting the lead and extension cables from the inside. Since the opening is only the size of the grommet (see pics), I cannot see inside to determine which situation I am dealing with although I am considering purchasing a cheap endoscope camera that work with my phone to try and see whats going on behind the wall.

When I needed to replace my camera I had the same problem. Pulled out maybe 2 feet of cable and couldnít get the rest. I wound up running a new cable under the motorhome. I zip tied it to other cables running the length of it. I had to run it up the ladder and across to original mount. I just used white electrical tape so the cable doesnít stand out so much running across the white fiberglass. If camera has problems in the future itís easily replaced.
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member

Y’all are not giving enough info. Do you have the currently standard system with the picture displayed on the center radio system and also includes the side view cameras activated by the turn signals? Is the current camera hardwired or wireless? And, is the wire to the camera permanent or detachable?

If it’s detachable then why are you trying to replace the wire. Just get a replacement camera and plug it in. The RVS camera is a pretty good and reliable system and unless you’re going to spend $7-800 for a true hi res camera you’re not going to get anything much better. The cable terminates under the driver side dash. It should be plugged into a RVS 501 switch box.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

While our rig was at a shop to have the fridge door fixed, I also asked them to take a look and see if they could replace the camera for me. Got it back with the new camera installed and when I asked them how they did it they said they had to take down the ceiling molding in the bedroom and make a small hole in the wall to be able to disconnect the camera pigtail from the extension cable.
Now it's back in good working order and if it ever fails again at least I know that this is now an option. I just wish they had taken some pictures!

RVr

Tags
back up camera, forester