Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

Need to replace generator exhaust pipe.

Hi,

new 2020 Sunseeker Classic 3050S owner here. My wife and I took the RV for a quick trip down to see her mom in Florida this past week, and the RV ran great.

However, on the way home I had a close encounter with a traffic cone when heading through a construction zone, and I had to swerve closer to those cones than normal.

I hit the cone, but did not realize how bad it was until I stopped a bit later at a rest area. I found that the cone hit the exhaust, bent in the 90 degree bend reducing the OD at the bend, and ripped the pipe's rubber hanger in half.

Tried to find a replacement and found that the pipe is a custom Forest River part. Other than removing the pipe to see if there's a part number, I'm hoping that there's someone here who can assist.

I called my dealer yesterday to see if they could get me a replacement, but after 4 hours it was closing time, and I had not heard back. We're going to be heading to a new home in Missouri in three weeks, and want to have this repaired (or at least have the part in hand) by then.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Neil
NukePuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

I’d try a custom exhaust shop, I get service for my rig done at a Performance/exhaust shop and they just replaced a broken hanger on my generator exhaust they found while was I in for regular service.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I’d try a custom exhaust shop, I get service for my rig done at a Performance/exhaust shop and they just replaced a broken hanger on my generator exhaust they found while was I in for regular service.

I'll have to find one local.

Thanks!
NukePuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #4

I hit mine with the lawn mower and bent it at about 45 more degrees. I took the hanger off and was able to bend it back to the original shape. You may be able to take it off and straighten it? Of course, I am a DIY guy and usually always try to fix rather than replace everything that malfunctions.
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #5

Generator exhaust pipe MIGHT be difficult to find depending on diameter.

I tried locally to find one that could fabricate an adapter for a GenTuri kit and none of them could bend anything under 1-1/2 inch.

As always, that will vary from place to place and depend on the size of your pipe.
Might want to save some gas and call different shops to see if they can bend your size pipe.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #6

What's the thing look like?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #7

I did the same thing to my 3170 on I81 in Pennsylvania. When I returned home, I removed the pipe, bent it back to shape and used a hammer to round out the flattened part of the pipe, where it was bent. You’ll need to buy another hangar, but the pipe is a simple fix.
mhaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
What's the thing look like?

This is mine.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	233142
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #9

I had the same issue

I also had a close encounter with a construction cone. I was able to bend the pie back into shape and reattached it with a 10" metal zip tie. Worked fine ever since.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:43 PM   #10

Hanger was broken and pipe was bent 90 degrees. Bent it back, a new hanger and was good to go. The pipes seem very forgiving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190612_182009.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	233143  
2016 JKUR
MToffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:06 AM   #11
drw

I did the same thing on a vehicle of mine. went to local shops but no one want to manufacture one. Also even tried Cummings who made the generator. No luck.
Best thing to do is go to the RV dealer and service and parts. They are the only ones that seem to be able to get the correct part from the dealers due to the fact it is an RV. Dealers must have some great restrictions on these manufactures. A way to protect the business i guess. however get them to order the part and you can install it. mine was $80 bucks.
drw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator