Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #21
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
The Michelin RV rated tires I had on my previous motor home were bad from the factory, as were many Michelin RV rated tires at that time. Read lots of reviews and others were having the same issues. ...
I’m curious as to exactly what Michelin RV rated tires are. I am aware of Class A tires that are 19.5 and 22.5 inch wheel size that use RV designated tires. However, we are talking about Class C, B and Sprinter applications here. I might be wrong but I think all of these are using Light Truck designated tires (LT) with a typical all season (M&S) type tread. If Michelin says to use the Defender LTX series for Motorhome applications, I would take that advice. I have not seen any ratings or reviews of Light Truck tires with the problem you describe.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #22

FMCA Tire Benefit

My wife and I have a 2015 FR Forester 2251SLE with 13,000 miles. After many enhancements and upgrades, I realized that I needed to have a spare tire. I purchased the Roadmaster Tire Carrier at Amazon for $522 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new) and then purchased a used wheel from Ebay for $68. Our motorhome came with General Grabber HTS tires so I did some research and decided on the Michelin Defender for the spare tire.

For the past 2 years we have been FMCA members and I remembered something about a Michelin tire benefit. WOW....I saved $80 on the purchase of 1 tire by going through the FMCA program. After doing the research on the Michelin Defender tires, I plan on replacing my car tires next month with the Michelins.
Idaho Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #23

Generals

Four years and about 24k on generals. Little wear, no cracking, riding well. My michs on my truck were put on about the same time, weather checked like crazy but at 60k. May well stick with gens on new alcoa rims.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #24

I strongly recommend the defender ltx
I am very happy with the Michelin rep was
Not filling my ear full of BS .
Along with new tires on my 2017 3170
I put hellwig sway bars front rear
Super steer track bar
Roadmaster reflex steering stabilizer
Bilstein shocks
Forest river alignment
I did all the chassis upgrades when the rig only had 900 miles on her .
So I did drive 3000 miles after the upgradeds before I went with the defenders
The old LTX MS2 felt squirmy and greasy
While driving . The new defender all that mess is gone . I would give the defender
A solid 5 star rating .. now let’s see and hope they don’t dry out fast !
Fisher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #25

Tire related, I just ordered a set of dorman 909-029 axle covers. We hope to see the simulators gone forever, stay tuned for fire sale. A lot cheaper than a set of alcoas (grand). Will add the gm one peice valve ext (got info from this forum!) when we tire replace. I may just stop by the tire shop to see what the charge would swap the new stems.

DL4GMCC Chrome Duallyvalve Kit

Now back to what tire to use?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Four years and about 24k on generals. Little wear, no cracking, riding well. My michs on my truck were put on about the same time, weather checked like crazy but at 60k. May well stick with gens on new alcoa rims.....
Grabbers?
Old 03-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #27

humm

I dont know what is specifically currently on the coach. I will report back Fri. Just moments ago I got a new work order from DW for courtesy lamps for the stair well. Thinking a couple of led lights like on the center console skiff wired off the porch light.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #28

I not sure what a FMCA IS? About tires though I put the tire covers on almost every time I camp Heaven 2 or 3 days to keep the rays away. I also rotate all 6 tires in a pattern that keeps the rays off for a full year, the guys at the truck tire shop check real close every time for a chance to make a sale. If only had the factory Goodyear’s so that is all I’ve can speak for. The tires on our 2004 Georgie boy Pursuit had 48,000 miles at trade in still did not have dry rot which is the worst enemy of anything made from rubber. Our new Coachman Mirida 35BH has Goodyear’s have 15,000 mi. with no problems. Before we leave for 2weeks at Red Coconut in Ft Myers Beach and then somewhere in Key West ( DW knows the tires will be rotated and balanced and covered in my driveway the few days till we leave. Oh! there is a cordless Ryobi tire pump with built in gauge in the side which also works on air mattresseswhe the bunk and other beds fill up.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #29

Just my two cents from working in the chemical industry.
The chemical composition of today's tires requires them to be driven to release beneficial compounds that keep them in good condition and help retard dry rot.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #30

Endeded up going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S .
Had them installed this weekend, They were made 4 months ago so they
Have not been setting around long. I will let you know after the first trip if they feel any different than the original LTX M/S that came with it,
Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #31

This is kind of "after the fact" since the OP has purchased tires. I just wanted to add that the type of tire is going to depend on where you live, too. In my case, I need to have something that is Snow approved as we get snow from Sep to Apr in the Cascades and surrounding mountain passes. My Class C came with Continental M&S tires with the approved snowflake emblem, winter rating. So far, I am very pleased with them as they handle well and seem to wear pretty even,, so far.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #32

Good point !
Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #33

Great info on this thread! That being said I really think there is a lot of effort into these discussions wasted. If you have a great mechanic/rv guy they have much much more knowledge and experience than us.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #34

It is good to hear the personal experiences of others. I have generally preferred Michelins. However, the shop that services the MH now is a Cooper dealer. I haven't heard of much personal experience with these so I remain a bit hesitant.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #35

Copper has been around for over 100 years, they are a USA based company. I have had Cooper tires on many cars and light trucks over the years and have had great service out of them,
Old 03-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #36

It is interesting to read everyone's experiences. My 'tire guy' worked at a shop that mostly sold Cooper tires. He recently started his own shop and is selling Toyo tires, which he says are twice the tire for the same money. So I trusted his word a bought some, but haven't had them long enough to say. In short, your 'tire guy' is part of the equation if you have one you like and trust.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #37

Time to throw in my hat. What are y'alls thought on the Michelin XPS ribbed commercial tire? It is all steel construction. Looking at'em.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, tire, tires