Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2022, 06:18 PM   #1

New slide questions

Greetings all, we recently purchased a forester 2861 new. I have noticed that the rear slide has a significant gap when pulled in. The dealer said it’s normal. Can’t believe that. Looked at many other rv with slides and none have a gap this big. I feel we need to address this now as the unit is brand new. So far no leaks, however it has the potential for future problems. Is this a normal thing? Should I be concerned? I have attached pictures to show the gap. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5AA0B34-190D-4E93-8E04-8E9A7E695024.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	280405   Click image for larger version

Name:	7E24D75E-2CFD-4052-BF1F-2CAD525F7B5E.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	280406   Click image for larger version

Name:	7CF9AFE3-5D2B-44B5-ACDF-BE7D40B0222E.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	280407   Click image for larger version

Name:	80D9EDA8-1BB4-490F-865D-B1DE606BC609.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	280408  
Twodogs112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:31 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Kind of

Your unit has a bed slide that I believe is in-wall (schwintek). So the question is; Is your slide sync’d?
The schwintek style mechanism does not rest against the coach body. It has a double seal that uses motor torque to compress. A gap is normal but not as much as your photo indicates (good job on the pics BTW). Additionally, the gap should be the same on both sides.

Edit: added photo to show normal gap.

Also noteworthy. If it is not a Lippert in-wall, disregard all the above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8C4FA2E3-254B-4906-8493-28A386E6E893.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	280415  
Old 10-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #3

Thank you, that’s what I thought. The front slide fits flush. I’m going to look at it closer tomorrow. It’s been at the shop for a generator problem. Parts on order 1-2 weeks to fix that!!! Looks like I’ll be contacting forest river about the slide.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs112 View Post
Greetings all, we recently purchased a forester 2861 new. I have noticed that the rear slide has a significant gap when pulled in. The dealer said it’s normal. Can’t believe that.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Ducky is correct of course

I'd like to add whenever I hear something is "normal", I always ask the who, what, where, when and why questions.

Ask why 5 times and you'll usually get the right answer

Let them prove what they're saying

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #5

Okay, went to storage to a little work on our new rv. Definitely a problem with the slide. Opened and closed, now the gap is bigger, also the seals on both sides are not attached to the outer walls of the camper. The seal under the slide is buckled in and seems twisted. I have done all the research and can’t find a match for any type/manufacturer for this slide. There are no kinds of adjustments that I could see. Inside or out. See additional pictures attached.
What can I do, who makes this slide mechanism? I’ll be dealing with this on Monday so any ideas would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC3374AE-4157-4BCB-8558-D0AF84EABAB1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	280474   Click image for larger version

Name:	2A910CE1-7109-45A9-A9E5-9016FFB89E4F.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	280475   Click image for larger version

Name:	21EFD65D-3716-4301-98DA-51DF311C1653.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	280476  
Old 10-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs112 View Post
I have done all the research and can’t find a match for any type/manufacturer for this slide.
That is a Lippert Slide Out Model Above Floor system.
Owner's manual here:
https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest...ultiple-709607

Lippert support pages here:
https://support.lci1.com/lci-above-floor-slide-outs

BTW - - you can access all of the Forester component manuals here:
https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest...orester/browse

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:55 PM   #7

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001597.pdf

The link above is for your slide, I have the same on my 2017 2861DS.

The hard stops "stop blocks" discussed on page 6 are how you adjust the slide position when stopped both in and out.

The seal issues on the sides and bottoms are a Forest River issue, not the slide manufacturer, the seals are installed by Forest River.

I had to adjust the stop block on my 2861 to get the slide to be where I wanted it when closed, easier for me to do than to get the dealer involved.
Old 10-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #8

yukongold beat me to it,

The manual he linked is for the two rail system under your sofa, the one I linked is for the single rail under the bed, the basic info is the same between the two.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #9

Stop blocks aside, fwiw my dealer told me my 2860 slideout rooms were not adjustable. Same rail design as was used in 2006. Knock on wood, mine are still perfect after 16 years.

Having discovered your bottom seals are buckled and twisted I wonder if they're keep the room from retracting fully.

Since they're already buckled and twisted I wonder if it would be possible to straighten them out gently by hand and then retract the slide to see if it helps it retract all the way.

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 09:42 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Plan B

Obviously not an in-wall. Sooo, your new photos reveal a problem with your bottom seal. It appears that it is separating from the sidewall because it does not appear to have been trimmed to pass over the hat channel. Additionally, I suggest you determine what is causing the slide to cant. I do not think a single channel has an adjustment for side to side movement. I also wonder if what is wrong can be corrected without removing the slideout.

Excellent reference posted by Bob.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:05 AM   #11

Looking at page 11 in the manual I linked in my previous post,

The slide can be trued up to the outside wall by using the elongated holes in the floor mounting bracket, up and down to align vertically and side to side to align horizontally.

Your side looks like it needs to be adjusted horizontally to make the side gaps equal, if the floor bolts don't allow enough side to side adjustment, they may need to be moved.

I had to adjust the vertical alignment and then used the stop blocks to get tight to the wall.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #12

All great responses. Thanks. Now I have the ammunition to go back to the dealer to get it fixed. I’ll be visiting with them on Monday!!!! I’m sure they’ll argue with me. However it’s not right and I’m still under warranty!!! Thanks again, you’re great.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #13

I thought I would provide an update. It’s been a ride. After waiting for 3 weeks plus to get an appointment at the dealer to service the slide and leak in the bottom compartment. Took it in. All gracious and seemed willing to help. Ha ha, after they had the coach a week ( it should be noted they did not call or email in any way) I finally got angry and asked to have someone call me to discuss the status of the warranty repair. Got a call the next day!!! Was told, yep you got a leak in the compartment, yep your slide is not right. We need to get warranty authorization. Note , this is the same problems it has been twice before!!! How long is that going to take? Don’t know I was told. Ok, needs to be done, I’ll wait!!!! No communication for another week.
Finally got frustrated and called forest river warranty department. At their request sent pictures and extensive information about previous visits for the same issues. Kris said he would look into it. Kudos to kris, got the warranty approved same day it was sent in by dealer( one week after the dealer said they called in , the dealer lied) . Now we are rolling!!! Nope, the dealer has to order the parts. How long, I ask. Few days for seals, few months for the compartment door. Nope, they lied again.
Made arrangements to pick up coach in repaired, to keep at my storage facility until the parts come in . Was told by dealer that due to the holiday, it could be a week, a month, or six months!!!! That was last Monday.
Now, I’m really frustrated. Contacted the dealers “ we care” department with the same email that I sent to forest river. Got a bot response the next day. They will look into it. Crickets from the dealer. On Wednesday afternoon I got an email from “we care” asking if we had anyone call to discuss the issue. Nope. I replied with the facts that now the slide is now inoperative and stuck in the out position by 2” on one side and 2 1/2” on the other. 2” of water in the compartment that is still leaking. Reaffirming that this is the third time into the dealer since purchasing. And that I would hold the dealer responsible for any damage to the coach from the slide or leak. The key word is inoperable. Next day was thanksgiving.
Friday. Got a surprise from “we care” emailed a 8 am. Someone will call soon. Got a call at 10 am from the dealer. Bring it in Monday and we will fix the slide. Really, the parts came in! Nope. I was told that they have all the parts that they need on hand to fix the “inoperative “ slide. Funny, after six weeks at the dealer over three visits they had the parts all the time!! No seals for the slide no parts for the leak in the compartment. “We just don’t want you to have a leak in the slide”. I’m taking it in on Monday.
So, it pays to go over the dealers head for issues regarding warranty issues. I’ll be following up with emails up the chain of command with both the manufacturer and the dealer’s corporate. It should be noted that the corporate hq is at the dealership where I purchased the coach an brought it in for service.
Thanks for all the advice and I’ll keep updating as it progresses.
I should also say, that I’m posting this , so that others who might have a problem will know how to handle their situation. Good luck, and thanks again.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:16 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Thanks for the update.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:54 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Just to confirm/clarify what has been already said.

1. You have two different slide mechs. A "below floor slide" and an "In-Wall Slide"
2. The "Below Floor Slide" will likely sit more flush. The only thing holding it in, is the ram at the bottom. SO it is built slightly out of square (top-bottom) so the top hits first and then the bottom pulls in, so you get maximum seal pressure.
3. The In-wall slide (either slim rack or Schwintec) both work the same way, but different from the below floor slide. They have (4) points of pressure so it comes in evenly (top to bottom). If you look at the manual, it will explain the the slide seal should only compress about 3/8-1/2".

There may be an issue with the slide, but if the dealer corrects the issue, don't count on the slide matching how they close, as they are just different mechanisms.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:30 PM   #16

Wanted to update for those who might be interested. Finally all better , after almost 6 months of waiting, delays and healthy discussions with the dealer. Had to get the forest River warranty rep involved. Kudos to kris, thank you. Also had to get the dealers “we care” department involved. Now all good.
To recap, the bedroom slide would not close all the way in . Gap of almost 1 1/2 inches at the bottom of the slide. In addition, the slide seals were all torn up. After our last check ride in October last year we heard a loud bang when putting the bedroom slide back in!!! Turned out the screw broke on the bar that pulls the slide back into the in position. This made the slide inoperative. Meaning it could fall out of the coach!!! After much discussion and dealer visits. The tech added 4-5 new heavier duty screws to the bar that operates the slide under the bed. Also slide stops were adjusted. Now the slide fits almost flush with the wall outside as it should. Waited for seals for almost 3 months, now they have been replaced and all appears to be in good order. We will be going on a weekend trip this Thursday , so we shall see.
To all forrester models that have a bedroom only slide I would highly recommend that you check the screws on the bar that operates the slide under the bed. The pictures of the update are below. Ours broke with no warning and we were very lucky to not have the slide fall out according to the dealer service manager.
Thanks to all for your suggestions and help. We appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30CE26D5-B8BB-47D9-A7A0-7648FB6D26C7.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	283938   Click image for larger version

Name:	FFAAC6B0-7A0A-4B55-BDB4-EE2481F66B31.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	283939  

Tags