Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #1

New Sunseeker 2860 owner w/ ??s

Hello! We just bought a used 2018 Sunseeker 2860do. We just got it Wednesday & took it out for a shakedown trip. We have several things we need to figure out, organize, modify. I’d love any great tips or modifications. We are weekend campers & have had a pop-up, TT, & then FR Wildcat 5th wheel but it has been a few yrs. This is my list so far:
*I hate how the entrance door won’t close unless we pull out the handle.
*Need to install shelving in bdrm closet. I’m wondering if back wall is strong enough to hold metal strips for adjustable wire shelves.
*I can’t figure out how the cab curtain is supposed to go. We attached to velcro dots but we had tons of extra fabrics and extra dot. Anyone have a picture or diagram how it is supposed to go?
* The Ac was not keeping it cool at all. Air coming out today was 65 but yesterday was even warmer. It seems there is cool air going into one of the compartments and outside kitchen. Why is that & how can we stop it?
*Inside & outside fridge both seem to be not cooling enough.
*The couch, dinette & cab seats are all a vinyl that will not hold up great with dogs. We want to cover them, do you know of places that sell covers so I don’t have to try making them?
*The wood “wallpaper” on Bathroom door & bdrm valance are peeling. Can that be redone?

Thanks for any help! We are excited to get back into RVing. I can’t wait to decorate & customize a little more & add some color.
Susan.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Maybe this helps?

See my responses within……

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan.B View Post
Hello! We just bought a used 2018 Sunseeker 2860do. We just got it Wednesday & took it out for a shakedown trip. We have several things we need to figure out, organize, modify. I’d love any great tips or modifications. We are weekend campers & have had a pop-up, TT, & then FR Wildcat 5th wheel but it has been a few yrs. This is my list so far:

<Try some light grease on the striker plate and the door latch to see if that works. If not, you may have to reposition the striker plate so it aligns better as a slam latch mechanism.>

*Need to install shelving in bdrm closet. I’m wondering if back wall is strong enough to hold metal strips for adjustable wire shelves.

<Should be strong enough as long as you use the shortest screws possible.>

*I can’t figure out how the cab curtain is supposed to go. We attached to velcro dots but we had tons of extra fabrics and extra dot. Anyone have a picture or diagram how it is supposed to go?

<Try and locate the center Velcro dot, and the Center of the curtain. Attach them first, and follow along to side of the cab or motorhome. We can hang our curtain all around the windshield and side door windows, or just across the headliner to each side just behind the driver and co-pilot seats.>

I’ll leave the other issues to others.

* The Ac was not keeping it cool at all. Air coming out today was 65 but yesterday was even warmer. It seems there is cool air going into one of the compartments and outside kitchen. Why is that & how can we stop it?
*The couch, dinette & cab seats are all a vinyl that will not hold up great with dogs. We want to cover them, do you know of places that sell covers so I don’t have to try making them?
*The wood “wallpaper” on Bathroom door & bdrm valance are peeling. Can that be redone?

Thanks for any help! We are excited to get back into RVing. I can’t wait to decorate & customize a little more & add some color.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan.B View Post

Ok, you can try to adjust the strike plate but it moves very little, lube the door side of the latch to make sure it moves freely.

You can put in shelves but watch the weight. We have the Forester version of your unit and use plastic drawers that slide right into the space, don’t move and are easily removed if we need the space.

Cab curtain wraps into the curved are over the cab, it doesn’t go straight across. However I would pick up an outside class C window cover, works better, cuts down on the heat and leaves easy access to the front cab for storage.

Pull down the filter screen on the AC. Make sure it’s clean. A clogged filter will cause loss of cooling. While it’s down make sure the diverter/return is in place, sometimes it comes loose or shifts creating loss of cooling. Check the temp coming right out of the unit, then close the damper and check air flow at the other vents. Should be fairly even with the most air pushing out the vents closer to the unit. Depending on the temp the single unit can struggle to keep everything cool, we had a similar issue on our 2017. We would close the blinds, use the cab cover and supplemental fans in the unit to help keep it cool when it was hot.

A good upholsterer should be able to recover you cushion. Check locally for car accessory shops, many do custom work and they should be able to direct you to someone.

Some wall paper seam sealer or wallpaper paste/elmers glue should re secure the loose wallpaper provided it’s not torn, it is possible to paper over it too with the proper primer.
avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #4

As Avengers said for bedroom wardrobe shelving, keep the wardrobe open for hanging clothes and drop in shelves which you buy pre-built that sit on the bottom of the wardrobe.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430S

We have a 2016 SunseekerGTS 2430S.

Air Conditioning: We cool off the motorhome initially by leaving the vent open under the unit. It is noisy. Then we close it. I read somewhere a while ago that you can close off the little vents in the bedroom area to cool down the front and then at night do the opposite. Ours usually keeps us cool. Our bathroom is always the coolest place in the motorhome!

Seat Covers: Just ordered seat covers for the cab seats from Seatcoversunlimited.com
They have not arrived yet (4 to 6 week turnaround. They are custom made). We used 2016 Van full size E series. Saw a post on a Forest River Sunseeker Facebook group that I follow. We needed to send them photos of the cab seats first. https://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/...at-Covers.html

Windshield/Privacy Curtains: We use windshield and cab window covers that have reflective material on them facing out. We put them on the inside. In a previous RV we had an outside cover but when taking it off and storing it we needed to dry it and clean it off. The reflective material helps with the heat. https://www.high-end-motorsports.com...sun-shade.html
We also have a reflective material cover that we keep on the door. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #6

For the peeling wallpaper I used contact cement. I gently pulled the piece down as far as I could. I then applied contact cement to both the wall panel and the paper using the brush and a toothpick to get in the tight area. After waiting a few minutes for it to get tacky I used an old credit card on the outside of the wallpaper to smooth the paper back into place. Don't put it on too thick as that would ooze out as you smooth the paper. I used a piece of paper towel to remove any oozing. Worked great and looks as good as new. I don't think the glue they use is very good as it separates from the wall starting at the top.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #7

I can help with your cooling issue. I have a piece of reflectix insulation cut for every window and vent opening, the sunlight is also a huge heat leak so we have a piece with velcro that covers that. All the pieces roll up and fit in the little storage slot under the bed when not in use. We have a external cab cover (windshield and doors) instead of the inside curtain. helps keep the heat out.
Go to YouTube and search Rv Air-conditioning Mods. I had the same issues on my 2860 and the Cold air plenum was a mess, the ducts were not sealed and cold air was leaking into the warm air intake. This fix will increase airflow immensely and make the AC much more efficient. I have done the foam pieces in mine and since done 5 others for my friends who complained about their AC "not keeping up" its a cheap and easy solution.
H.E. Ash-Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker