Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

Question New Sunseeker 3170 owner with questions

This is our first class C, but we've also had a TT and an HTT before that. Hopeful you may help with an issue. I should note that it's rained all week.
We camped last weekend with only one minor issue. But today when we took the unit out again the underside of the mattress on top of the cab was wet. There were droplets of water in the storage bins up there, but not much water. The pattern was mostly above the driver side, the very center was mostly dry, with the edge that faces the front of the RV wet and around to the side on top of the passenger seat. So, it was like a U shape.
We could not visually find a leak.
Wondering if perhaps one of the kids left a window very slightly open or whether we have a leak. Any way to tell if there's a leak?
For now, we propped the mattress up so it could dry underneath.
On another note, we lifted up the queen mattress to put something in the storage compartment...and there is a 6- to 8-inch gash on the bottom of the mattress that was hand stitched back together. Really?!
Thanks for any input.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Got any pictures showing exactly where the water was? Trying to visualize it but for some reason I'm getting a little confused. Surely not in the shape of the cab roof cut out above the cab seats. Don't think a window leak would cause that much of an area.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #3

if i had a leek on a new motor home i would be at the dealers door when they open.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Maybe take a drive...hit the brakes hard and see if you hear water sloshing in the cap...that would indicate a leak in the cap or something (if its full body paint, maybe the paint shop did not seal the running lights properly).

If the window was left open, that might explain some water in there but I would think storage covers would wet as well. Check that as well.

Next step is the dealer.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Will post pictures soon

Dealing with family emergency. Thanks for input.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #6

Here are photos of the wet mattress

I can't remember if I responded already (crazy couple of days), but we were not moving when we believe the mattress got wet. The RV was parked. We have not heard any sloshing water.
There was no additional water overnight, despite more rain.
Will keep checking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wet mattress 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	27907   Click image for larger version

Name:	wet mattress 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	27908  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Commercial Member

So it rained again and no more water? hmmm...could it have been a window open? Seems like a decent amount of water.

And only on the driver side?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Driver side, around the front of the cab and a little bit on the passenger side, too. Like a U.
We scheduled a visit to the dealer (couple of hours away) for Saturday morning. Hopeful they can help us figure it out and fix it.
Will report back.
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #9

Please do report back on your findings. I have a 3170 also that is only 2 weeks old. So far, no problems. Taking it out this weekend.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

It's been pouring all day. Will check tomorrow to see if the problem repeats.

Hope you have an awesome trip, Garrette!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #11

We are ready, I think. Supposed to rain and I will be looking for any leaks. I will report my findings.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #12

No water today in the cab despite torrential rains! Thank God. Still taking it in to get it checked on Saturday since we've had water in the storage bin. Any way to get the shadow that the water left on the bottom of the cab mattress?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

Posted update to our other thread: Water in 3170 storage bin question
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #14

Went thru a bad storm last night. Wind and rain were really blowing. Took the opportunity to check the inside and all is dry. Did a good check of over bunk, slides, windows, etc. all dry.
In morning, Checked all storage compartments and all dry. Did find the RTV sealant in the large door compartment, just inside the door where the lip if the plastic bottom meets the sidewall at the bottom of the door is not adhering. I can see the ground in about a 1/8" gap. Will strip, clean and redo the seal. I will check all of these areas close. This could be the entry point for your water in basement.
This is very minor and a non issue for me.

Meet a C owner who was enjoying another brand that he has had it for eight months state that he was still working out the issues with his dealer. So far, I have no need to make that statement. We are well pleased with our 3170DS. We find it comfortable and have gotten of good commits on its looks. Always good to here..
Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #15

Glad to hear it. Hopeful this is the last of it for us. We love the layout, especially. And glad we switched from the TT to the Class C.
-DW
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #16

Life is great. Got in last night, flushed tanks and DW is starting to get ready for Disney in 2 weeks. We too are very happy with the C. Checked MPG and got 8.7MPG.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Life is great. Got in last night, flushed tanks and DW is starting to get ready for Disney in 2 weeks. We too are very happy with the C. Checked MPG and got 8.7MPG.
8,7 MPG, this is with a vehicule in the back of the 3170ds ?
everik3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgtiburon View Post
No water today in the cab despite torrential rains! Thank God. Still taking it in to get it checked on Saturday since we've had water in the storage bin. Any way to get the shadow that the water left on the bottom of the cab mattress?
Getting rid of the water shadow:

Years ago I loaned a mattress from our pop-up to a friend in a tent. It rained, his tent leaked, and the mattress got wet and had a water mark. I just hosed off the entire mattress and let it dry in the sun in the driveway. That made the entire mattress look that same. After this, there was no difference in color between it and the other mattress. The water mark was probably just residue from the textile manufacturing process or color from the foam. Wetting it all over probably washed some of the residue out.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Or put the residue in the rest of the mattress. Either way....problem solved. Good idea.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by everik3006 View Post

8,7 MPG, this is with a vehicule in the back of the 3170ds ?
Sad to say no toad. Tanks empty. Miles on unit 1240. I hope I get 9. Disney trip will be a good test. I will post my results.