Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
2015 Sunseeker 2300

New to forum and need Sunseeker advice

Hi, We have a 2000 Forest River Rockwood 2602 and are looking to go into a small class C motorhome. My husband suffered a stroke in 2009 and hooking up the camper has become too hard for him and I have become the driver which I do not like on the highways. We are looking at Sunseekers here in Georgia but do not know anything other than what the "sales" folks tell you. I know Sunseekers have fiberglass roofs..is this good or bad and they are pushing me towards a Ford vs a Chevy do you know why other than is is more expensive. we are looking at the 2450S or smaller and also looking at the Four Winds by Thor. ALL help is appreciated..thanks
Gingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingsnap View Post
Hi, We have a 2000 Forest River Rockwood 2602 and are looking to go into a small class C motorhome. My husband suffered a stroke in 2009 and hooking up the camper has become too hard for him and I have become the driver which I do not like on the highways. We are looking at Sunseekers here in Georgia but do not know anything other than what the "sales" folks tell you. I know Sunseekers have fiberglass roofs..is this good or bad and they are pushing me towards a Ford vs a Chevy do you know why other than is is more expensive. we are looking at the 2450S or smaller and also looking at the Four Winds by Thor. ALL help is appreciated..thanks

Sorry to hear about your husbands stroke and applaud you guys for not letting it stop you from doing the activities y'all enjoy.
We have a Sunseeker 3170DS with a ford chassis. We really enjoy ours after 1-1/2 years we have never regretted the purchase.
These are my thoughts and only my opinion.

I like the fiberglass roof. I see it has being more durable. On this forum, some folks have had issues with edge cracking and some have had issues with rubber roofs as well. I went under a low tree with a lot of screeching and a bang on the roof. Thankfully for no damage except for a smudge on the AC cover. Not sure if the rubber roof would have faired as well. It is noisier when it rains.

Ford vs Chevy. I like our Ford now after solving the drive ability issues. I own a GMC pickup and it has proved to be a well built motor. I think both would do a great job but the Chevy may drive better. Test drive both and make a decision. I never drove the Chevy because the model we liked was on a ford chassis so I have no point of reference.
Not sure about cost.

I like the wrap around fiberglass cap on the front. It is a selling point and I have seen other manufactures do this.

A couple of points.
Class C do not have the stuff carrying capacity as an A class.
Ford chassis cockpits are very stark. Not many amities. Just basic dash and electronics.

Washing a class C front (the cab over) is a real pain. I am certain an A class is easier to wash.
Get the hydraulic leveling jacks. This will help you guys on your campsite setup.

Just a few observations. I am sure others will respond or search out this forum for similar topics.
Also, checkout irv2.com. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

The fiberglass roof is a vast improvement over rubber roofs. Virtually maintenance free. (There are always a few seams to caulk every few years on any roof). We drove both the Ford and Chevy when looking for ours and chose the Chevy. It handles better than the Ford. It also has much more passenger leg room and is easier to move from the front seats to the coach area. (I'm thinking that would be an important difference in your situation). Some report a little better gas mileage with the Chevy, but not enough to make it part of a decision.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

Smile

We have a 2013 2860 with the Chevy. As I have never driven a Ford I have nothing to compare with. I have been a Chevy fan all my life since all my family worked for GM..except me. We are very happy with the comfort and roominess in the cab.

The reasons we purchased a FR 2860 MH is as follows:
1. Fiberglass roof
2. FG front cap
3. Integrated steps
4. More head room and the step from the MH to the cab is short
5. Enclosed heated tanks and water pump
6. Enclosed sewer system (outlets do not hang under the MH)
We ordered 3 options..larger AC, extra battery, and the fan in the bedroom.

I have one item I do not like..the range vent is very difficult to open and I broke both tabs. I just use a screwdriver to open now.

Otherwise it's a great MH.

Also we went to the Jan Denver 2012 MH show and spend a few hours talking with Brian from FR. He is a very honest rep and to tell you the truth, he was the major reason we purchased a FR.

Mike and Julie
Colorado Springs
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #5

Oh ya it has a built in Black Tank Flush system and this is great.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #6

We have one we're looking to upgrade and right now ours has a rubber roof and definitely want to get a fiberglass next RV. We always worried about punctures or tears and needs constant maintenance. Ours is a Ford, it is 11 years old and really have never had any problems with it. The only thing I would say is that the passenger side foot area is small, the "doghouse" in the middle is kind of large, I believe larger than the Chevy. This may have changed but with every Chevy we saw, seemed like there was more room on passenger side for feet. So I would check out comfort if your husband will be in the passenger seat.
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #7

the Ford has more torque than the Chevy.
If you are loading up the unit,towing a car/trailer,or camping in the mountains the Ford engine does a better job of powering under more strenuous conditions.
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
2015 Sunseeker 2300

Thanks there is only 2 of us and I doubt we will every load it heavy but other people have said the same thing since we are ordering it new to go ahead and get the Ford thanks for the advice
Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #9

The space for the passenger to sit in Chevy is so much better than the Ford that you may want to consider that. There is absolutely no problem with the power (or torque) of the Chevy especially in the size MH you are considering. The 6 speed transmission is smooth and responsive to changing needs. Ford requires front end alignment after a couple of thousand miles. Chevy is rock solid from day one.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 08-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #10

If you buy Ford, Forest River will pay for the realignment. Search for information on this forum or post a thread asking for information.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #11

I have the Ford chassis and am quite happy with it in a larger floorplan. However with the smaller and lighter floorplans you have the option of a Chevy. Test Drive both if you can but at least sit in each. The Ford cab is tighter ( especially on the passenger side) and you should be sure your husband can deal with the confined passenger area. The Ford V10 will out pull the Chevy but unless you will be towing something really heavy the Chevy will do fine.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
2015 Sunseeker 2300

Thanks for the advice. If we do tow something it would be his Toyota Camry. We drove the Chevy and I thought it drove good. We have a suburban now and they drive the same to me. The 2300 was much nicer ride since I was not having to watch out for a camper behind me. I can't wait to order one!
The larger units are nice but we just do not want to buy more than we need..the 2300 with a sofa option should give use plenty of room and still be small enough to maneuver through towns and gas stations without problems.
Everyone out here has been so helpful I really appreciate all advice..
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #13
Commercial Member

I prefer the Chevy on the smaller units. Softer ride, large capacity. We only buy one size of Chevy, the 4500 (14,200 lbs rated) on the 2300 we use the E350 which is rated at 12,500 lbs. It still has the V10...but if you don't need the torque the Chevy works great. (and at that weight, the extra torque may not matter)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #14

I had a 2300, nice compact unit that you really don't need to tow a car in order to get around wherever you are. Just back out of the campsite and go about your business. Only thing I didn't like was that I had to pull myself out of the bed. Getting too old to do that, so traded for the 2860 DS with the walk around bed, but now I have to tow a car. As typical, pros and cons.

Also got the Ford as I'm usually towing a boat, or car, depending on where I'm going.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #15

I think we are selling our 2013 2860DS with the Chevy 4500. Nothing to do with the unit itself. It's a fantastic MH. It's just we are not using it as a MH as we thought we would. We just putter around the Colorado Springs Front Range and do not travel as we expected. We are looking at the FR 8528 5th wheel. Of course this means we will have to purchase a truck now. But at least we can disconnect and drive around. We did not want to pull a vehicle behind the MH.

So lets wait and see what happens. Gotta sell the 2860 first before we can do anything.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
2015 Sunseeker 2300

opinions of the Sunseeker 2300

I apologize if this is not in the right format or "thread" but I am seeking opinions of any 2300 owners. PROS and CONS we are looking to order one in the next month. We are ordering with a sofa vs the dinette. Does anyone have this floor plan and did it give you anymore floor space? there are only 2 of us and we are opting for the smaller unit because of length (easier to handle) and price. My husband has had a stroke but can drive and test drove the 2300 on the highway and did very well. Hoping we are making a good choice. thanks for all opinions..
Old 12-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #17

Hi Singsnap, We just bought a 2015 2860DS, AND I am the driver as well! My husband had a stroke in 2011 and does not drive anymore. We are just now venturing back out into the world and regaining some freedom. I am not very big or strong and I have not had any troubles driving our 28ft motorhome (knock on wood). It is very roomy and comfortable. It has been a blessing for us. Good luck and happy, safe travels. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1417573157.159177.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	979.3 KB
ID:	67034
SoCalLengyels is offline   Reply With Quote