Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

New to Motorhomes any advise?

I just purchased a Sunseeker 2650 from a rental company (I know I know). 60000 KM seemed to be in good shape and good entry level price. I have been pulling around a 30 foot travel entry level trailer with an underpowered truck for 4 seasons. We probably spend 18 weekends a year in the TT. I am looking forward to going from a 50 foot (bumper to bumper truck trailer) to a 28 foot length. I am also looking forward to no more hitching and unhitching.

When we purchased the Travel Trailer there was a lot of things that I wish we did right away but didn't know (like check to make sure there were no places rodents could get in).

Any advise people wish they received prior to setting off on their first motor-home adventure. Any advise on driving the rig (my assumption is it will be easier then a Truck and trailer set up).
coldtrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

Watch the kick out of the back end when turning
It's obviously not going to follow you like a trailer
Ground clearance can be an issue
I will scrape the back hitch on dips so plan ahead when turning into gas,food, or stores
I've got myself in tricky situations at gas stations using the center pumps and then cars parking in front of mini mart part block me from pulling through
I now always use the ends
Bottom line? Before you pull into a parking lot make sure you have an out
You will get comply quick
Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtrev View Post
Any advise people wish they received prior to setting off on their first motor-home adventure. Any advise on driving the rig (my assumption is it will be easier then a Truck and trailer set up).
Watch your Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) weight. There should be a yellow sticker in the door jamb with the vehicles CCC. It is very easy to use all the cargo space and exceed your maximum weight. Water weighs a lot so only carry what you need while on the on the road.

Since you bought a ex-rental I'd assume everything needs to be checked, and cleaned, very carefully before hitting the road. Do a oil and filter change on the generator. If you did not get service records on the chassis I'd suggest taking it in to a Chevy or Ford dealer and having the 60KM service performed. I know how I used and abused rental cars when I was road warrior...

I'd also make a list of all the appliances make, model, and serial numbers so I could download the manuals from the manufactures websites and check for any recalls.

It is much easier to set up and tear down a motor home. Even with hooking up my Edge it takes less than 10 minutes to be ready to go...
Old 10-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Congratulations on your purchase! We also recently purchased a motorhome after having a fifth wheel for 10 years. Really looking forward to less work and time to park and depart. LazyDays has a great YouTube video from their motorhome driving school. Lots of tips and explanations.
2jcsontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #5

Jumping and bouncing (jouncing ) is a common problem . Bilstein shocks all around a Roadmaster steering relief stabilizer are the best add-ons we have done. The rear camera is another great tool w/ don't have our 5thwheels.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdutch View Post
Watch the kick out of the back end when turning
It's obviously not going to follow you like a trailer
Ground clearance can be an issue
I will scrape the back hitch on dips so plan ahead when turning into gas,food, or stores
I've got myself in tricky situations at gas stations using the center pumps and then cars parking in front of mini mart part block me from pulling through
I now always use the ends
Bottom line? Before you pull into a parking lot make sure you have an out
You will get comply quick
Have fun!

Good advise, I hadn't considered the "kick out". I always had a plan for a parking lot with the trailer. In fact gassing up while hitched was a source of anxiety for me.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Watch your Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) weight. There should be a yellow sticker in the door jamb with the vehicles CCC. It is very easy to use all the cargo space and exceed your maximum weight. Water weighs a lot so only carry what you need while on the on the road.

Since you bought a ex-rental I'd assume everything needs to be checked, and cleaned, very carefully before hitting the road. Do a oil and filter change on the generator. If you did not get service records on the chassis I'd suggest taking it in to a Chevy or Ford dealer and having the 60KM service performed. I know how I used and abused rental cars when I was road warrior...

I'd also make a list of all the appliances make, model, and serial numbers so I could download the manuals from the manufactures websites and check for any recalls.

It is much easier to set up and tear down a motor home. Even with hooking up my Edge it takes less than 10 minutes to be ready to go...
Regarding the CCC the forest river specs on the 2016 give it a CCC of 3500lb (I know each unit will vary). By my measurements (at full fresh water):
- 44 gal of water = 370lb
- 2 Adults and a baby = 350lb
- Gear / mattress / food ect = 1000 lb (estimating this high as this was around 500 lb in the trailer)

This should leave us with around 1780 in CCC (around 45% of the max load)

The rental company that we are dealing with is Canadream. They seem to take care of their units as they don't want to be going out and servicing them in the field if they can help it. I am anticipating some problems due to hard use by non-rv type renters. Unit comes with all service records / new tires. I will do the 60K services on the Ford. The generator has 60 hours on it so I don't know if it requires maintenance yet. I will probably do this after the winter.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #8

You may want to do a few upgrades that rentals don't have such as; a rear stabilizer for wind; vent covers & the inside pillow- like foam inserts to keep heat in or out; frig, medicine cabinet and cabinet tension bars; upgraded tv antennae or satellite and cut foamcore boards or reflectix for windows to keep the heat in or out.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #9

Motor Home

I went the other way, parked the motor home and purchased a TT and PU. It's nice to be able to leave the CG without tearing the camp down. With the MH I always felt trapped at the camp site. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Back On The Go

Double check the yellow sticker in your rig for the actual CCC from after options have been added to the MH. I don't remember the details but manufacturers include 1-2 people in the weight calculation at about 150 lb/person I believe. You can look this up. All in all it seems you will be ok on weight til your first shopping trip. Do the generator maintenance; 60 hours is not a lot and one needs to run a generator once a month under load (have the A/C running, etc.) to keep everything lubricated and cleaned out. Enjoy.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
I went the other way, parked the motor home and purchased a TT and PU. It's nice to be able to leave the CG without tearing the camp down. With the MH I always felt trapped at the camp site. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.

I either bring a motorcycle (box trailer) or camp with friends that have a TT&truck
I don't like being stuck either

'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome