Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #1

Newbie 2018 Sunseeker 2290S owner with a few questions

Hi, with the help of Duckogram ("Certified Curmudgeon") in a different thread, I was able to get a PDF listing all of the standard features on my new-to-me 2018 Sunseeker 2290S which uses a Chevy truck. Just bought it from a private seller last month.

Can anyone here help me out with these items ...
Automatic Generator Transfer Switch: Looking at the list of standard features, it says it has an "Automatic Generator Transfer Switch" which is something I would want since I travel w/a doggo and sometimes leave him in there with the AC for a couple hours.This is the thing that will automatically turn on the generator if shore power goes out, is that correct? My old RV didn't have one. Is it something I need to turn on (like an actual switch?)

Ride-Rite Springs: This is new to me. On the drive back from Cincinnati where the seller was to my home in Chicago, the RV was bouncy! I mean like I was in a bounce house, a couple times, when going over some areas. Is that the spring thing? Should I adjust it? (I see a valve for it in one of the storage wells.) Or wait until I load up the RV and fill the freshwater. Or leave it alone.

Steering Stabilizer: This RV didn't come with one, but I bought one for my old 2017 Thor on the advice of many folks. The Thor was 30 feet long. I do take long cross-country trips. Should I get one?

Water Filtration System: Says it's standard. Where is the filter? Does this mean I don't need to use the Blue filter things on city water?

Thanks!
AM
amarie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Otto

More insets but no italics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarie1 View Post
Hi, with the help of Duckogram ("Certified Curmudgeon") in a different thread, I was able to get a PDF listing all of the standard features on my new-to-me 2018 Sunseeker 2290S which uses a Chevy truck. Just bought it from a private seller last month.

Automatic Generator Transfer Switch: Looking at the list of standard features, it says it has an "Automatic Generator Transfer Switch" which is something I would want since I travel w/a doggo and sometimes leave him in there with the AC for a couple hours.This is the thing that will automatically turn on the generator if shore power goes out, is that correct? My old RV didn't have one. Is it something I need to turn on (like an actual switch?)

Answer: No and No. The auto transfer switch only routes power. It does not control the genset. For that you would need something like this:

Ride-Rite Springs: This is new to me. On the drive back from Cincinnati where the seller was to my home in Chicago, the RV was bouncy! I mean like I was in a bounce house, a couple times, when going over some areas. Is that the spring thing? Should I adjust it? (I see a valve for it in one of the storage wells.) Or wait until I load up the RV and fill the freshwater. Or leave it alone.

The riderites are supplemental spring that are pneumatic. There should be two fill valves (schrader) one on each side. The bouncy bounce is probably lousy shocks. Also know that the riderites are notorious for leaks. Happy pumping.

Steering Stabilizer: This RV didn't come with one, but I bought one for my old 2017 Thor on the advice of many folks. The Thor was 30 feet long. I do take long cross-country trips. Should I get one?

If you have steering issues you might want to get the front end aligned first. Then check your load on a scale. No point in throwing resources at something you may not need.

Water Filtration System: Says it's standard. Where is the filter? Does this mean I don't need to use the Blue filter things on city water?

The filter is next to the water pump. It uses a 2.5x10” carbon wrapped element. The wrench should be with it.

Thanks!
AM
Old 10-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:

Thanks!
AM
A steering stabilzer (steering damper) is standard Ford equipment on an E-seties chassis, but I don’t know about Chevys. Are you sure there is not a damper there? Some people upgrade the stock with an aftermarket device.

Front end alignment should be done first to ensure it is correct. Forest River sometimes ships out product that is not aligned to chassis manufacturer specs.

The water filter is usually installed near the water pump. I personally think the external blue in line water filter is a more convenient option than the built in water filter that Forest River provided. I will probably remove and bypass my FR water filter housing in the future.

If your RV is “bouncy”, that is a problem with shock absorbers, not the springs. We would need to know more about your description of “bouncy”.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #4

Okay, thank you so much. I get what an ATS is now. Guess a gen switch is on the "to buy" list.

By "bouncy" I mean it felt like I was sitting on an exercise ball. A soft bounce, not a hard bounce.

I will get it aligned before I do anything else.

I added a 3rd party steering stabilizer (Safe-T Plus) to my Thor so it'd handle better when I'm being passed by semis, hit by side winds on I-80, and so on. AFAIK it was not standard equipment. I haven't yet taken the new RV out on the road but am assuming it'd have the same challenges.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:00 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Okay, thank you so much. I get what an ATS is now. Guess a gen switch is on the "to buy" list.

By "bouncy" I mean it felt like I was sitting on an exercise ball. A soft bounce, not a hard bounce.

I will get it aligned before I do anything else.

I added a 3rd party steering stabilizer (Safe-T Plus) to my Thor so it'd handle better when I'm being passed by semis, hit by side winds on I-80, and so on. AFAIK it was not standard equipment. I haven't yet taken the new RV out on the road but am assuming it'd have the same challenges.
You may have some of same issues but consider your box is significantly smaller than most MH’s. IF, after an alignment, you still have drivability issues, heavier anti sway bars, good shocks and a track bar ($1750 range for all 3) might be another path to consider.

BTW, My E-450 needed the stabilizer so I went with the Roadmaster RSSC. I do not know if that is available for the Express chassis.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:09 PM   #6

Chevy Express 4500 Chassis

I have Leprechan LP240FS on the Chevy 4500 Chevy Express Chassis which is both longer and heavier than yours and it drives great without a steering stabilizer. I also have the Firestone Ride-Right air springs which also work well and I don't have a problem with them leaking but as others have noted, some do but that is mainly a problem with the tubing fittings. I run the air pressure in the Ride-Right system between 40 & 60 PSI depending on how loaded I am. The acceptable pressure is between 10 & 100 PSI. There is a warning in the manual to not run less than 10 PSI as this can damage the air springs and void the warranty. You will need to experiment with different pressures to see what works best for you. I also recommend an alignment as FR does not realign after building the unit. I had mine aligned when it was new and it was way out of alignment.
Jim-LP240FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #7

thank you. What kind of tool do you use to change the air pressure in the ride rite? Same thing you'd use to inflate a tire?
Old 10-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
thank you. What kind of tool do you use to change the air pressure in the ride rite? Same thing you'd use to inflate a tire?
The air springs are high pressure/low volume. I use a bicycle pump with a gauge from WallyMart. I also moved the fill valves to a place I can reach them.

Photo of what you are inflating and where I relocated the schraders.

Note: If you use a big compressor take care not to over inflate. They fill very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0599F79B-10DF-46EA-9791-7D99993223B4.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	264287   Click image for larger version

Name:	804B9EB4-5122-4F32-AEA9-903AD1E74046.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	264288  
Old 10-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #9

Huh. Okay, thank you!
Old 10-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
A small Viair compressor for inflating tires will work. If you use a compressor with a tank you could over inflate the bag quickly.

They recommend 5psi minimum to 100 max. I put just enough to level the ride side to side. Checking the each rear fender height with a tape measure. I believe mine is 25 on the right and 45 on the left. Using 60-70psi or more just makes the ride really rough or rougher than it already is. At least it is pretty easy to change to find the best pressure for your rig.

One thing to check if you lose air pressure in a week or so, spray soapy water at the plastic lines that go into the airbag and the Schrader valves for leaks. Inflate to 90psi to find the leaks. I found both the lines at my valves were not cut perpendicular to the line as the instructions say. This makes them leak. Mine now stay inflated for a month or more now.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:

Yes, the same as the tires.

On the passenger side you'll find it in the rear storage compartment (not the pass thru compartment). Also there you'll see a black door in the left rear, that is where the water pump and the water filter. The driver side air bag inflation is in the back compartment where the the dump station is located. We have the same year/model but on the Ford chassis.

Fun Boy Tours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

Firestone errata

Just so you know, Firestone had the min pressure listed as 5 psi. The newer kits list it at 10 psi. I have no idea what, if anything changed but at 5 or even 10 psi you might be better off not having them.
YMMV
Old 10-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Just so you know, Firestone had the min pressure listed as 5 psi. The newer kits list it at 10 psi. I have no idea what, if anything changed but at 5 or even 10 psi you might be better off not having them.
YMMV

Max pressure is 100psi. I run mine at 60 - 70psi. They make a huge difference. Do note that they loose pressure over time, so I do check them every time before I go out.

Fun Boy Tours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Boy Tours View Post
Max pressure is 100psi. I run mine at 60 - 70psi. They make a huge difference. Do note that they loose pressure over time, so I do check them every time before I go out.
There is no disparity in the manuals for max pressure. Both the older and newer publications read 100psi. There is also a note that reads where it is normal for them to lose pressure.

The fact that you run yours at 60-70 psi is nice but has little relevancy to anyone else.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #15

As you have the Chevy chassis, replace the factory shocks. GM tends to put cheap shocks on these chassis. I replaced mine with a nice set of Bilsteins. It made all the difference in the world.
The GM chassis is softer than Ford. I much prefer it over Ford, amongst many other items. You won't need a steering stabilizer as the steering is much heaver & tighter on a GM, and doesn't wander like Ford. Plus you won't have to drop 1 to 2 grand just to make it hold the road.
Our 2016 2150SLE stated it had Ride-rite springs via a large sticker next to the entry door, but indeed had none. When I inquired about this after the purchase, they stated there was a sign/sticker package that is put on each unit, despite the actual accessories. I peeled the sticker, and have never needed the springs. I had added those very springs on our 2000 Four Winds on E350 Ford, as it was 28' long and had a long overhang. I dragged the tail a lot on that MH, less so with the springs. The tail of the 2250 has never touched the ground.

Enjoy your new (to you) unit!
Old 10-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Reference

brucemc,
Since the OP stated that there is at least one fill valve visually verified in a storage compartment (post #1), I think it would be safe to extrapolate that indeed, the unit actually has riderites and not just a decal. Just sayin.

Good eval for the Chevy ride and handling.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:44 PM   #17

You are correct, Duckogram! I documented my experiences, but that didn't align with the OP. My apologies.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:09 AM   #18

Chevy

Our 2014 chevy rides fine without a sterring stab. You can use standard blue hose connect filter and just remove the one in the large plastic housing. I actually took my canister system out completely. Get a 0-100 tire pressure guage, and add air in very short burst if using a non manual pump..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, question, questions, sunseeker