Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Newbie with a stuck slide - help ASAP!

Hoping someone can help me with a quick answer since our new Forester MBS has a wall slide stuck in "out" while checking it out in the storage lot! After reading this forum, I think I must have gotten motors out of sync since did not know to hold 5-10 sec and did start and stop a bit. Anything we can do to retract it? Yes, we've had it all of 3 days and are getting to experience our first technical adventure ... other than this, we LOVE this rig and can't wait to go camping!

Thanks for all advice! /Kelly
Old 05-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

See if you have an optional hand crank means of cranking the slide back and out. If so, use it to pull slide back in and sometimes that is all you need to get things "back on track".

If you don't, have DW or girlfriend hold switch for slide operation in and you simultaneously lift and push the slide back in. I've done that before and that also helped reset things.

Good luck!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Question: what's the power source you're using? Trailer battery, Tow Vehicle, or Shore power? If you're trying to retract your slide on the trailer battery it could be that it has a low charge. If that's the case try hooking to Tow Vehicle. (assuming you've checked the breaker panel )Otherwise on some trailers there is an inline fuse somewhere in the power line from the battery - Just a small plastic fuse holder with a cap on it. If you have to use your manual crank be sure to unhook the battery first - that's supposed to make it easier to turn but honestly I haven't tried it myself.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

First make sure not running coach or key in on position, battery center will cut slide power. Next look to see if binding seal at tracks or rollers. If power when press retract switch but weak then start generator for more power. If no obvious power the check breakers under step and in battery control center and look for reset buttons. The controller has a manual retract button but need to find it on your rig and look up the lippert procedure online. If you need to manually push in then temporarily unplug controller to release motor brake. Good luck
Old 05-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #5

Ah, didn't realize we had a motorhome. My mistake.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the options! My Class C is plugged into shore power but I'm wondering if it is trying to pull from batteries instead. I did try the push lift thing for a little bit but didn't do a thing. It sounds like it's not even trying to activate the mechanism ... Just a little click when MB inside is pushing the button. Not aware of any manual cranking system ... Will check out my manuals again.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #7

Thanks so much guys. Rich.M - that is exactly what we did - one of us was running engine while the other was trying to retract - duh! We will try your advice and see if we can figure it out. Also have a call into FR tech. Keep the advice coming.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #8

Bummer. Tried most of above, but battery control center looks way too confusing for me to tinker with at this stage of my evolution as an RVer! Nothing that looks anything like a reset button or switch on either. Will have to leave it out I guess in the storage facility, and have yet another convo with our dealer tomorrow.

Thanks SO much to you all for being there on a holiday! We are so looking forward to this next journey (hopefully outside of the storage facility at some pint ...).
Old 06-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Here is a link to help. It takes some reading to understand but with this I think you can fix your slide.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...-schwintek.pdf
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #10

Ok, so here's the diagnosis: controller for slide failed and has to be replaced. Had to get a mechanic out to storage site who then had to talk through troubleshooting with FR tech to reach that conclusion. FR sending new controller unit to Camping World where we bought it less than 1 week ago ... 😕. Hoping CW sends their tech out to repair instead of towing. And hoping this all happens within the week. I have decided to consider this just part of our new RVing adventure and be positive! Thanks for all your advice on this forum!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #11

Thanks for updating so we all learn from it. All units have a few bugs to work out like new homes. Once the issues are addressed then life is good.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Thanks for updating so we all learn from it. All units have a few bugs to work out like new homes. Once the issues are addressed then life is good.

Thanks again, Rich.M and all who have helped. Still confused about the info about how long to hold the slide button down after extension/retraction complete ... The user manual says release after 1-2 secs but others on the forum say 10 secs or so ... Might it vary between whether Forester or Solera or Sunseeker MBS? And - on another note - what exactly is the difference between these 3 anyway???
Old 06-02-2016, 06:25 AM   #13

I do the 1-2 second hold I saw on the lippert video. We seem to be in good sync after 75 to 100 cycles so far. We don't use a toad so slides go in and out daily when we camp. Forester, Solera, and Sunseeker are all the same coach and vary only by trim and options. Solera was the original line that split into Forester and Sunseeker. Forester has most options/upgrades included. Sunseeker is more basic but you can add the options you prefer rather than bundle. The MBS catagory was started on this forum to consolidate the posts .
Old 06-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #14

Thanks again, Rich.M. I learn something new every day from this forum - the journey continues!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #15

Question, which slide-outs are used in the Forester 2400's, Schwintek or Lippert? Both have manual ways to retract.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #16

An update that is not really an update.: our brand new 2017 Forester MBS 2401W is still stuck in the storage facility with the slide out and nothing but conversations with Camping World in Katy, TX (the dealer) and Forest River (the manufacturer). No deliverables. So disappointed in the service ethic of today's American companies. The controller failed and people are promising things that they aren't delivering. I am a healthcare leader and I'm so glad these companies and people aren't charged with the responsibility to take care of human lives. Service matters.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:39 AM   #17

can't they send a tech to disengage the motors so it can be pushed in and moved? There are instructions on the net if they don't know how.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #18

http://www.amlrv.com/site/wp-content...l-override.pdf
Old 06-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #19

Awesome trouble shooting PDFs, does anyone know how to upload this to the library ?
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Download the PDF to your computer; then go to the library and upload it.
A Moderator will review the upload and approve it for the board.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, slide