Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Newby Fiberglass Roof Question

Hello,
In the midst of doing my due diligence in buying a 2010 2300 Sunseeker (X Rental). Unit has been regularly maintained by a trusted service department but I do have one question on the fiberglass roof and sealing quality.

I have read that there can be issues of hail damage to a fiberglass roof. Just wondering how the Sunseeker roofs have been standing up to hail. We don't live in an area where it is an issue but we intend on travelling...

I know that water entry is a constant concern on MHs but are there any areas in specific that tend to plague the Sunseeker line?

Thanks. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on, especially if I buy this unit.
fbn ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #2

We have a 2012 Lexington, also with the fiberglass roof. Don't know about hail, but I would imagine it would hole up well unless the stones got really large. Even than, you would probably end up with cracks.
Also, you need to check the roof several times a year. Don't be afraid to walk on it, it's safe and won't cause any damage. You want to check for any hairline cracks that may have developed and treat them with a bit of caulk. I would suggest you get a couple of tubes of Dicor Self Leveling caulk. You can use it to patch any cracks in the old caulking and to seal or reseal any gaps or joints.
As for the cracks that may develop, I clean the area with mineral spirits and than reclean the area with acetone. Than a dab of the Dicor that I finger rub into and over the crack. Others use Eternabond tape to cover the crack. These aren't large cracks, just several inches or so long, but you have to keep after it.
Not every roof will crack, my 2012 has three small ones that I've found in 1 1/2 years. Supposadly, several years ago the roof manuf. supplied a batch of roofs that were not up to par and several started to develope cracks. Don't know just how many or what years were involved, but I googled info up and possibly 2011-2013 might have been involved. No fix was ever done and apparently FR won't cover it or acknowledge it.
In any case, I still think the fiberglass roofs are far and away better than any of the other roof materials out there, and would not even consider an rv without one.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

Fiberglass is the way to go.. Welcome to the 2300. Let the mods begin!!
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #4

I have a 2300 and the nose cap has cracks on the top. Now experiencing a water leak but can't find the source. I put Eternabond on the top of the cap seam and used dicor caulk and water is slowed but not completely. I suspect one of the front running lights is leaking but the previous owner or factory caulked the lens to the fixture and I can't get it off without cracking the lense cap. Any suggestions?
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #5

You may have to bite the bullet and pry the whole light off.
My opinion, if it was mine... I'd find out what type of lights they are (match them up) and buy a new set. Pry the old ones off and do a real good cleaning of the area around each light hole, and install new lights using some "GOOD" caulk or buyal tape around the perimiter of each light.
If the previous owner caulked or glued the lenses to the light, their useless anyway. If you have to replace a bulb your going to have to pry the lenses off anyhow.
New set of lights aren't that expensive...check Amazon...they have lots of listings/styles.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

The pebbled roof is strong fiberglass , a huge selling point . Keeping the fiberglass sealed is the same process as w/ any other RV .
Old 06-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #7

Good luck with your purchase. It took some looking to find a clean unit but there are a lot of private owned Rv in Fla with water leaks/damage. That is one thing I'm guessing that most Rental companys keep on top of roof maintenance. I have a 2012 that we purchased used last year. Only area I've noticed with standing water after rain or AC draining is by two front left and right corners where roof, front cap and side panels come together. It had some small hairline cracks that I cleaned and applied self leveling Dicor sealant. I think next winter I will strip and apply new sealant to all seams. I think vent covers if you have any would not fair well if caught by hailstorm. I am impressed with quality of fiberglass roof. Only other caulking that looked sketchy was above the windows which I scraped excess off, blue taped and applied small bead of 3M 5200 fast cure.
Topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

Thanks grumpy. The bottom end cap seam has also separated a good half inch on the passenger side where the water is draining out. I was wondering if perhaps the end cap was misaligned when built? At any rate I can't seal that location until the leaking stops.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

Lexstone - The clearance light lenses are a bit tight you probably won't break them getting them off they are thick but just get two flat head screw driver put it on each side of the lens and twist them both at the same time and it will pop off - I had the exact same issue on my Forrester with the passenger side of cap having a gap - The main leak was coming in from my passenger side corner of the fiberglass roof where it meets the front cap Transition - it is a tricky area to seal because everything is flexing the only way I got it to seal was to tear out the old sealant that was in between the fiberglass and the cap Completely clean it all very good, then use dicor self leveling sealant in the whole seam, let it dry, then apply eternabond over it all to create a second barrier. You also want to peel back the plastic strip that covers the gutter screws on the side and seal the screws as well. I had two of those I believe were slowly seeping water in. But for sure seal those front clearance lights
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #10

Thanks skylilymd I'll try this when we get back from our road trip.

Tags
roo, roof