Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #1

No power to thermostat

Hello all, new to the forum and new to RV ownership. I have been camping in motor homes and trailers all my life, am for the most part mechanically savvy and love working on things myself.

My wife and I recently purchased a 2022 sunseeker 3270. We took it out for its 3rd trip last weekend and discovered the thermostat is not getting power. It was working fine the day I picked it up from storage as I turned on the heat to warm it up while my wife loaded it up. The breakers and fuses all checked out, I even tested all the wiring inside of the ac vent on the roof with a multimeter. There was some wires labeled “thermostat +” that were getting power. I figured it was the thermostat itself so I bought a new one and am still getting the same results… Not powering on.

I’ve searched high and low across the web on this topic, Forums, YouTube etc. and I’m not having any luck. If anyone has any helpful trick I would greatly appreciate it!
Godzilla91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread to the Forester and Sunseeker sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:35 PM   #3

You might want to post a photo of your thermostat so people know what you have, to help avoid getting misinformation.

I don’t know if it’s any help but this thread looks to cover a similar problem:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ds-241169.html
Old 12-02-2022, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla91 View Post
Hello all, new to the forum and new to RV ownership. I have been camping in motor homes and trailers all my life, am for the most part mechanically savvy and love working on things myself.

My wife and I recently purchased a 2022 sunseeker 3270. We took it out for its 3rd trip last weekend and discovered the thermostat is not getting power. It was working fine the day I picked it up from storage as I turned on the heat to warm it up while my wife loaded it up. The breakers and fuses all checked out, I even tested all the wiring inside of the ac vent on the roof with a multimeter. There was some wires labeled “thermostat +” that were getting power. I figured it was the thermostat itself so I bought a new one and am still getting the same results… Not powering on.

I’ve searched high and low across the web on this topic, Forums, YouTube etc. and I’m not having any luck. If anyone has any helpful trick I would greatly appreciate it!
Did you test for voltage at the thermostat end of the wires though?
Old 12-02-2022, 09:39 AM   #5

12v thermostat

the thermostats run on 12v
check batteries and converter
skytrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
You might want to post a photo of your thermostat so people know what you have, to help avoid getting misinformation.

I don’t know if it’s any help but this thread looks to cover a similar problem:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ds-241169.html
Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #7

Thermostats powered by "house power" require a connection the C-terminal or batteries (like mine). House (vs camper) thermostats run on 24vAC (twenty four volts alternating current) something not common in any camper I'm familiar with so a special "RV" thermostat is required -- or just forget the RV stuff and get a good battery powered set-back, illuminated thermostat at Home Depot or Lowes.

-- Chuck
Old 12-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
Did you test for voltage at the thermostat end of the wires though?
I wasn’t able to get any voltage there. The smaller gauge wires that I tested up in the ac area that appear to be running to the ‘stat we’re reading 5 volts. Is that the correct voltage or could this be where the problem is?
Old 12-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrash View Post
the thermostats run on 12v
check batteries and converter
Both batteries are over 13v. Everything else on the rig works fine.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:05 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!
Open your recently received Welcome PM, click on the link to Forums 101 and follow the instructions in post #7 for posting pics.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #11

Will do! Thank you!
Old 12-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Thermostats powered by "house power" require a connection the C-terminal or batteries (like mine). House (vs camper) thermostats run on 24vAC (twenty four volts alternating current) something not common in any camper I'm familiar with so a special "RV" thermostat is required -- or just forget the RV stuff and get a good battery powered set-back, illuminated thermostat at Home Depot or Lowes.

-- Chuck
We are still waiting for the OP to identify their thermostat type to reduce chances of misinformation in the thread. If the OP has a thermostat like my Sunseeker’s (example pictured below), you can’t easily just go to The Home Depot or Lowes for a fully functional replacement. Let’s hold off on those type of suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2AE6148C-ED42-4815-B7D2-7FB445DC7904.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	281959   Click image for larger version

Name:	FDE067B6-9F0C-4AFB-97FD-CE4AC388B850.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	281960  
Old 12-02-2022, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
We are still waiting for the OP to identify their thermostat type to reduce chances of misinformation in the thread. If the OP has a thermostat like my Sunseeker’s (example pictured below), you can’t easily just go to The Home Depot or Lowes for a fully functional replacement.
That is the thermostat I have.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
That is the thermostat I have.
Then it's not just a simple interface like a basic mechanical thermostat in a house. That thermostat talks data back to the control unit.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #15

We’ll that’s a bummer… Any insight on what I can look into next? Possibly the wiring going to the furnace? I’m picking up the RV later today as I would like to track down the prob before our dune trip in 2 weeks.

Thanks to all for the help so far!
Old 12-03-2022, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
We’ll that’s a bummer… Any insight on what I can look into next? Possibly the wiring going to the furnace? I’m picking up the RV later today as I would like to track down the prob before our dune trip in 2 weeks.

Thanks to all for the help so far!
Do you have the manual(s) for the thermostat and air conditioner? I don’t know if there would be useful information in them, but it’s a place to start. Forest River makes component manual available on line here: https://forestriverinc.com/Owners/Interactive-Manuals

I recommend you download manuals for all components in your motorhome.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #17

exact same thermostat I had. dealer diagnosed it as bad thermostat. Once I got new one problem sill remained. My problem was thermostat would not work at all, than was OK, and sometimes would start to blink wildly.

I found there is several wires that go from thermostat up to the roof AC. The wires are solid conductor bell wire. Up in the AC this wire is connected to stranded wire with a crimp connector. Tug on each wire to see which one pulls out of the crimp connecctor, and fix it using a wire nut. solved my problem.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #18
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
exact same thermostat I had. dealer diagnosed it as bad thermostat. Once I got new one problem sill remained. My problem was thermostat would not work at all, than was OK, and sometimes would start to blink wildly.

I found there is several wires that go from thermostat up to the roof AC. The wires are solid conductor bell wire. Up in the AC this wire is connected to stranded wire with a crimp connector. Tug on each wire to see which one pulls out of the crimp connecctor, and fix it using a wire nut. solved my problem.
That could also account for the 5V reading…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25BC67FF-6D3B-4E50-96B9-D26406708CC9.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	281994  
Old 12-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

I’m just going to replace all the connectors with wire nuts. I was pulling on some of them and they don’t feel very snug. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:43 PM   #20

I unhooked the crimp wires to the ‘stat that are inside the wall. I connected the wires right to the ones in the ac unit and it turned on and is fully functional. Is there an in-line fuse somewhere that could be blown causing it not to get power back to the bedroom?

Tags
no power, power, thermostat