Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #1

Nobody here but us Foresters.

We're in the Crooked Creek Campground near Ford City PA. There's nobody else here. Might be because the lake is closed because of flooding. $7.50 per with my Old Farts Pass. Pretty nice. You might call it boondocking but there is a fine bathroom facility about 20 paces away. (No shower)
My son said "I thought you would never tent camp again"! I say it's not tent camping if you don't HAVE to set up the tent. He can have the Forester at night with the TV and the video games. I like my portable man cave with the full size inflatable mattress.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170627_175146474_HDR.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	142922Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170625_193936292_HDR.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	142923
wherewolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #2

hopefully he will not forget to take you along when he lifts the jacks and drives off. lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

Ha, he don't have any money.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

The bad news is that I made a dumb mistake and wrecked my solar panel wiring and can't do anything about it til I get to a place where I can solder. And for some reason the portable gen is running just fine but is not powering the coach. And I've given up on the black tank sensor. If I get it to stop saying full all the time, it goes back to saying full even if it wasn't used since dumped. I'll look down the hole for now, just like I did on my 1986.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

Check to see if the 30 amp fuse is tripped on the generator. It's a manual reset.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
Check to see if the 30 amp fuse is tripped on the generator. It's a manual reset.
Thanks, I haven't had time to read all the manuals. It's a Honda 1000 and I don't see any resets yet.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #7

You dont have the built in gen. running?
Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewolf17 View Post
I've given up on the black tank sensor. If I get it to stop saying full all the time, it goes back to saying full even if it wasn't used since dumped. I'll look down the hole for now, just like I did on my 1986.
The level lights work by the water in the tank acting as a ground so if there is a clump of wet toilet paper stuck to a sensor it is grounded and the light will stay on.

Only three things can cause the light to stay on. a bad light board, a grounded wire, or a clump of wet TP/etc. stuck on the sensor.

You can start checking by disconnecting the wires where where they attach to the sensors on the side of the tank. If the lights go out, the problem is inside the tank, if they stay on, either the wire is grounded somewhere between the tank and the display, or the display is bad. Check the display by disconnecting the wiring there. if the lights go out, the problem is a grounded wire

If the problem is in the tank do the following:

When the tank gets 2/3 full toss in a 20 pound bag of crushed ice and a quarter cup of laundry detergent, and a quarter cup of "Rain Drops Water softener and Detergent Enhanser" (or any brand of water softener additive) and drive around for an hour or so allowing the ice to slosh around and act like a washing machine. Then drain the tank and allow the walls to dry out a couple days. If the lights still stay on, there is still a wad of wet toilet paper that needs to be removed.

If you have a black tank backwash use it every time you empty your black water tank.
Run it till the tank is almost full, then continue to run it while the tank is emptying, leave it running and shut the dump valve. allow the tank to almost fill again and let it drain again with the backwash running the entire time the tank is emptying. continue doing this until nothing but clear water is coming out of the drain.

PS:..Pick up one of those see through drain pipe adapters so you can see whats coming out of the drain while emptying your tanks.

Make sure you have about 5 gallons of water in your black tank before using it. Add a quarter cup of water softener to that five gallons and a quarter cup of laundry detergent. the sloshing around while driving will wash the walls and keep rust from building up on the sensors. Never empty the tank till its at least 2/3 full and always use your black water backwash if you have one. Also always drain the black tank first and then the grey tank.

Hope this is of some help
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
You dont have the built in gen. running?
Oh yeah. But I started the day with three sources of power and ended up with just one.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker24 View Post
The level lights work by the water in the tank acting as a ground so if there is a clump of wet toilet paper stuck to a sensor it is grounded and the light will stay on.

Only three things can cause the light to stay on. a bad light board, a grounded wire, or a clump of wet TP/etc. stuck on the sensor.

You can start checking by disconnecting the wires where where they attach to the sensors on the side of the tank. If the lights go out, the problem is inside the tank, if they stay on, either the wire is grounded somewhere between the tank and the display, or the display is bad. Check the display by disconnecting the wiring there. if the lights go out, the problem is a grounded wire

If the problem is in the tank do the following:

When the tank gets 2/3 full toss in a 20 pound bag of crushed ice and a quarter cup of laundry detergent, and a quarter cup of "Rain Drops Water softener and Detergent Enhanser" (or any brand of water softener additive) and drive around for an hour or so allowing the ice to slosh around and act like a washing machine. Then drain the tank and allow the walls to dry out a couple days. If the lights still stay on, there is still a wad of wet toilet paper that needs to be removed.

If you have a black tank backwash use it every time you empty your black water tank.
Run it till the tank is almost full, then continue to run it while the tank is emptying, leave it running and shut the dump valve. allow the tank to almost fill again and let it drain again with the backwash running the entire time the tank is emptying. continue doing this until nothing but clear water is coming out of the drain.

PS:..Pick up one of those see through drain pipe adapters so you can see whats coming out of the drain while emptying your tanks.

Make sure you have about 5 gallons of water in your black tank before using it. Add a quarter cup of water softener to that five gallons and a quarter cup of laundry detergent. the sloshing around while driving will wash the walls and keep rust from building up on the sensors. Never empty the tank till its at least 2/3 full and always use your black water backwash if you have one. Also always drain the black tank first and then the grey tank.

Thanks. I did the Calgon and Dawn thing, then I wanded it and got one light to go out. Then later just sitting there unused and unmoved, the last light came back on. PO said the same. Need to use your other suggestions.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:32 AM   #11

"I never dump my black till it's gets at least 2/3 to F ...when dumping my tank. I also rinse the black tank out at least 2 to 3 times till the water looks clear. And I put a least 3 pods in to help with the smell and also break down the solids. And repeat the process over again. I think the main thing is to keep pieces of food and grease getting in and on the sides walls of the black and gray tanks. It works good for me ...hope it works for you. Thanks. [emoji595][emoji598][emoji597][emoji589][emoji965][emoji603][emoji602][emoji589][emoji605]🛴. Safe travels and have a Great 4th of July. "God Bless America"....
wvufan1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Then later just sitting there unused and unmoved, the last light came back on. PO said the same. Need to use your other suggestions.
I am not familiar with your tank display panel but with mine there are four lights, empty, 1/3, 2/3, and full. and they will go on and stay on in sequence from empty to full as the tank fills. If your display panel is the same and is going from empty directly to full, either the display or the sensors may be wired incorrectly.

PS: here is a good youtube video that contains some real good suggestions on cleaning the sensors that I never thought of and are suggestions I will use on a regular basis just to make sure I never have a sensor problem.

Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #13

Yeah same setup. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #14
Rivnut

clean the tank...

Quote:
The bad news is that I made a dumb mistake and wrecked my solar panel wiring and can't do anything about it til I get to a place where I can solder. And for some reason the portable gen is running just fine but is not powering the coach. And I've given up on the black tank sensor. If I get it to stop saying full all the time, it goes back to saying full even if it wasn't used since dumped. I'll look down the hole for now, just like I did on my 1986.
Put 5 gallons water and some soap in the black when you move the next time. The road action will slosh and clean the tank.
rivnut
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester