Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #1

Noise/Hum through Surround Sound system

We have a 2013 3050S and we love it. It took a while but we learned how to get the main TV sound to play through the surround sound system (i.e. using the AV2 input on the Megadyne).

Things were fine until we noticed a rather loud hum coming through the surround sound speakers whenever we watched TV and the furnace; AC: Fridge Ice Maker or the hot water heater were activated. This distortion was only present when using the TV on either the AV1 or AV2 inputs on the Megadyne. Other operational modes of the Megadyne such as the AM/FM/Satellite radio; the USB port; Ipod; and the SD Card inputs all worked fine with no distortion as previously described.

After a bit of troubleshooting, I was able to isolate the problem to the TV's Power source (i.e. the wall mounted 12VDC power adapter) I did this by unplugging the TV from the wall and using the same power cord and adapter and plugging the TV into a standalone car battery which was brought into the Motorhome and placed on the floor in front of the TV.

So here is the question to fellow owners - has anyone else experienced the Hum when using the TV through the Surround System and if so, how was it resolved.
tiwanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I have heard that on here before. Needs a power filter if I'm not mistaken.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #3

I had a similar issue. My TV would be on, and if I turned on the light over the dinette, the speakers would hum and pop and the TV would turn off. dealer found a bad ground to that 12V outlet. Replaced with a new and more secure ground and problem fixed.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

I had a hum from our 2450S took it to the dealer and they just adjusted the equalizer. Of course it came back and they could not figure it out. I unplugged the sub woofer under the dinette. There was a constant drone noise, sometimes it would get worse. We could not put up with it anymore so I unplugged!!
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

Yep, same here. The drone noise was constant. I did turn down the volume on the dial on the back of the sub, and it reduced it. I've gotten used to what little is left.

That could be the constant hum you are hearing...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gcampers View Post
Yep, same here. The drone noise was constant. I did turn down the volume on the dial on the back of the sub, and it reduced it. I've gotten used to what little is left. That could be the constant hum you are hearing...
I need to check for a dial on the sub. That is news to me. Thanks for the info. Mark
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

My sub on my 2900 was under the dinette bench. Not sure where yours is.. Good luck
Old 11-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
2012 Solera

On our Solera solved with ground loop isolators on all connections between Magnadyne and TV. Right and left audio in, right and left audio out, and composite video. Two stereo audio ground loop isolators and one composite video isolator. Also, important to set TV volume to "fixed " or turn volume control up (with TV speekers "off ") to reduce amplification required of Magnadyne.
Good luck!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
On our Solera solved with ground loop isolators on all connections between Magnadyne and TV. Right and left audio in, right and left audio out, and composite video. Two stereo audio ground loop isolators and one composite video isolator. Also, important to set TV volume to "fixed " or turn volume control up (with TV speekers "off ") to reduce amplification required of Magnadyne. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip!!! I bought an audio ground loop isolator from best buy and it solved the problem.
tiwanski is offline   Reply With Quote