Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2022, 09:00 AM   #21

Are repacking wheel bearings a thing on the Ford E-450 Super Duty chassis? I suppose wheel bearings could go bad though. Kind of rare I would imagine.

Definitely repacking wheel bearings are a regular thing on towables, right?

Never done it or been recommended to do it by my chassis shop on my 2006 2860DS E-450 Super Duty. Haven't looked at the owners manual service schedule for this item and maybe it's there.

Any wheel noise I've ever had was traced to brake dust, dragging brake pads.

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #22

I had a car recently that had a noise like you described. Turned out a little rock was lodged between the disc brake rotor and the metal guard/cover beside it. found it after I removed the wheel and was looking around with a flashlight. so maybe check to see if anything is rubbing your rotor that should not be there. .

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Have you checked and repacked wheel bearings, made sure the lug nuts are tightened to proper ft/lbs, and given it a good brake inspection?
arent these permanently sealed bearings?
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:03 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast72 View Post
2018 Sunseeker 2290 here with 46k miles. Second season using it. Put new rubber on all 6 wheels last summer. Have had noise coming from driver's side (can't be sure if it's front or rear) when tires are in rotation. Does not make noise when stopped. Just had all tires rotated and balanced thinking a small rock was possibly in the wheel, but noise still there. Live in Alaska and mechanic is $150 per hour. Any ideas on what I can try next?

When a tire company designs tires to go on a new vehicle such as a Ford cutaway van they will use expensive molds and certain construction features that will result in the tires being quieter. You didn't say what tires you had as OE and what tires you bought as replacement but I bet the replacement tires are not OE grade.
Clicking is probably stones in the tread.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:03 PM   #25

I had the same issue after installing new tires. Turned out to be a loose wheel cover. My Solera wheel covers have “fins” that lock them into place, but they are easily broken or bent, causing the cover to rattle like it has a rock in side. Temp fix was to use bailing wire to tighten the cover to the wheel until it can be replaced. Don’t use zip ties. They broke after several miles, even the metal zip ties failed. Bailing wire fixes everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast72 View Post
2018 Sunseeker 2290 here with 46k miles. Second season using it. Put new rubber on all 6 wheels last summer. Have had noise coming from driver's side (can't be sure if it's front or rear) when tires are in rotation. Does not make noise when stopped. Just had all tires rotated and balanced thinking a small rock was possibly in the wheel, but noise still there. Live in Alaska and mechanic is $150 per hour. Any ideas on what I can try next?
Klumph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, tire, tires