Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #1

Onan 4k Problem

This thread is about the Onan 4k generator onboard our 2016 Sunseeker 3010ds. 330 hrs on meter, 247 hrs when we took ownership of it, so almost 100 hrs since we got it 3 years ago.

Started winterizing our Sunseeker 3010ds today. All when well until I fired up the generator, Onan 4k, and ran the heat pump to partially load the generator. This was to warm up the oil prior to an oil change. After about 10 minutes the generator just quit, would not restart although it turned over rapidly. Re-priming it caused a fast clicking noise,

Thank what ever deity you choose for YouTube for I was able to find several videos that discussed this issue. Seems the fuel pump quit, I was able to confirm this by pulling the fuel line at the carb and cranking the engine; no fuel! I have placed an Amazon order for the appropriate fuel pump, fuel filter and air filter and expect delivery in a couple of days.

We did camp a bunch of times this year but it seems for the most part we were in full hookup campgrounds. The result of that is that we did not use the generator this year more than a couple of times.

So . . . If I hadn’t intended to change the oil in the generator as part of this years winterization, I likely wouldn’t have run it which means it likely would have failed when we started camping next Spring.

This has now been added to my yearly winterization list.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Pumping

The fuel pump failure is not uncommon. The issue is that they are exposed to excessive heat mostly due to the mounting location. The telltale sign that occurs most often just before they fail is a fairly noticeable “ticking” noise as soon as it warms up. Running the genset in very high ambient air temps along with the chassis motor and being stationary is the main recipe for overheating.

I ended up building a fresh air vent through the door and the factory installed shielding to isolate the genset from the exhaust pipe/motor heat. That was after the 3rd pump.

Somewhere in this forum is a writeup from a camper who installed a good quality pump/filter on the frame rail to get it out of the heat.

For anyone interested in DIY. The culprit is pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	286C7B26-DDEE-4978-8B78-757BDB8A290E.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	264718  
Old 10-20-2021, 10:05 PM   #3
Chief tinkerer

Rock guard removed for picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	1711408372.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	264726

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Reference Added

Gidyupgo,
I take it that your mod is still working just fine after over 3 years.

Here is the link to the original thread back in June 2018. Lots of photos as well.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1846834
Old 10-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Rock guard removed for picture. Attachment 264726

Gidyupgo, I've been looking online for the filter to go with that pump. No joy. Do you have a part number for the filter that you used?
dougc905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
Chief tinkerer

Duckogram, yes. No further problems once I took it "out of the oven", heh heh.

Dougc905, The filter I used is Airtex G-17 on their Airtex E8251 pump.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #7

Update on Onan Trouble

Well finally got the ordered parts and installed them. New fuel filter and fuel pump were “tedious” to install, not really difficult.

Got everything back together and tried to prime/start the genny. It does exactly the same thing, pump is “clicking” with no fuel coming out of the line! Double checked fuel level, 3/4 of a tank. Gotta be an air leak somewhere so now I’m resigned to crawling the length of the rv, on my back, in the driveway, looking for a leaking section of fuel line.

Any tips for this would be appreciated . . . .
John
Old 10-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #8

Perhaps the fuel line is pinched somewhere. If you disconnect the line before it enters the generator, does fuel come out? I imagine that it should be a healthy stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinCt View Post
Well finally got the ordered parts and installed them. New fuel filter and fuel pump were “tedious” to install, not really difficult.

Got everything back together and tried to prime/start the genny. It does exactly the same thing, pump is “clicking” with no fuel coming out of the line! Double checked fuel level, 3/4 of a tank. Gotta be an air leak somewhere so now I’m resigned to crawling the length of the rv, on my back, in the driveway, looking for a leaking section of fuel line.

Any tips for this would be appreciated . . . .
John
Old 10-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #9

It does not. When I replaced the filter/pump assembly, I clamped the line about 3 inches above the connection to prevent getting a bath.

After trying it, and getting a no start, I pulled the line off of the carb and tucked it into a jug then tried priming/starting; no fuel to carb. About 1 or 2 minutes of priming, about the same for cranking.

Mice are a problem where its parked though as when I was cranking it one of the little buggers poked his head out from inside the bottom of the genset. Futhermuckers!

Though I would not be surprised that they are feeding on the rubber lines, not sure this is the cause of ‘no fuel’.

I have the old filter/pump assembly and intend to rig it up separately “on the bench” to see if it will pump. I guess its possible that there is a fuel cutoff wired into the system that they could have cut but I also “assume” that this would render the pump inoperable.

John
Old 10-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #10

Ok, crawled around underneath tracing the fuel line from genny to tank. Throughout its length it is encased in combing material, it is all 1/4 ID hose right to the top of the tank. Although the inlet to the tank is somewhat visable, theres no way I can reach it without dropping the tank. No surprise there and with 3/4 tank of gas, not something I would want to attempt in the driveway either.

As far as I can tell the line is OK throughout its length.

I have the line disconnected from the carb and have primed it for several minutes, no gas but I can feel pulsating pressure with a fingertip covering the end. If I totally block the end with my finger, the pump stops clicking . . .

Any ideas?
Old 10-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #11

The new filter and pump are direct OEM replacements. I was able to get the labels off of the originals and searched/ordered using the part numbers on the old tags.

Also, I bench tested the old filter/pump combination. It runs just like the new one. I did not try pumping fuel through it though as I don’t have the appropriate hose to do that.

For those interested, the fuel pump part # received is Onan Cummins A064S966 replaces A047N926.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #12

We had issues with our 5.5k Onan, changed the factory pump and filter and same problem. So we add a cheap inline fuel pump next to the tank. Problem resolved!
Old 10-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #13

Continuing the saga . . .

I was able to find some 1/4 hose and used that to run the genset from a small jug of gas. Hit prime for about 20 seconds then start - fired right up and ran it for a few minutes.
Shut it down and removed the jug of gas hose and replaced the fuel line from the tank. Primed it (20 secs) and hit start. Ran for about 3 or 4 minutes then surged a few times then it shutdown.
Saw the prime/start light blinking three times repeatedly. By the time I looked up how to pull/read the secondary code, it stopped blinking. I will “assume” that it was code 36 . . .

So it appears I have validated a bad feed from the tank, oh joy
Old 10-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #14

I wonder if there is a fuel pump in the tank as well. Or perhaps the fuel feed within the tank has fallen apart and the pickup isn’t submerged.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #15

From what I have been reading, the only pump supplying fuel to the genset is the one under the control board located within the 4000 onan genset. This has been replaced along with the filter.

As to the pickup line having disintegrated, thats possible but once I replace the hose between the tank and genset, I’ll be able to ascertain if that is the case. I sincerely hope not as it will be enough of a challenge to get at the top of the tank to replace the supply hose.

3/4 of a tank of gas drawn down to where the tank is at a managable weight is at least 2 full fillups on my other two cars, outback and jeep. Might be awhile . . .
Old 10-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinCt View Post
This thread is about the Onan 4k generator onboard our 2016 Sunseeker 3010ds. 330 hrs on meter, 247 hrs when we took ownership of it, so almost 100 hrs since we got it 3 years ago.

Started winterizing our Sunseeker 3010ds today. All when well until I fired up the generator, Onan 4k, and ran the heat pump to partially load the generator. This was to warm up the oil prior to an oil change. After about 10 minutes the generator just quit, would not restart although it turned over rapidly. Re-priming it caused a fast clicking noise,

Thank what ever deity you choose for YouTube for I was able to find several videos that discussed this issue. Seems the fuel pump quit, I was able to confirm this by pulling the fuel line at the carb and cranking the engine; no fuel! I have placed an Amazon order for the appropriate fuel pump, fuel filter and air filter and expect delivery in a couple of days.

We did camp a bunch of times this year but it seems for the most part we were in full hookup campgrounds. The result of that is that we did not use the generator this year more than a couple of times.

So . . . If I hadn’t intended to change the oil in the generator as part of this years winterization, I likely wouldn’t have run it which means it likely would have failed when we started camping next Spring.

This has now been added to my yearly winterization list.

And so it goes…just accept these explanations that it’s really your fault…never mind that the manufacture should recognize and react and correct these issues and open your check book because experts on the forum have solved your problem! No accountability from manufacturers just remedies from “experts”.
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #17

Interesting post jwallet, not helpful, but interesting . . .

I suppose we could ask manufacturers to put better equipment in our chosen rigs but that would likely double the cost of buying a new one.

Anyone who searches the interweb for answers to any particular problem does so at their extreme risk. However after researching this issue for days, on many different sites, I am pretty confident that I have done my “due dilligence” with regard to what might work, what could work, as well as what will likely work.

Like many others, I only open my checkbook when I have to and then only after I have tried or rejected the alternatives. Having owned a small “fleet” of vehicles, several cars, 1 pickup, 1 motor cycle, a sailboat and this RV, plus being called upon to diagnose/fix several of my kids cars/SUV’s, I believe I use a fairly standard process of elimination before throwing parts ($$$) at the problem.

Even after purchasing a new OEM filter and pump then finding out that it was something else (likely a bad fuel line) I am not unhappy considering the condition of the old pump. If appearances count, it was only a matter of time before it died.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:34 PM   #18

Here’s my idea. Take the gas cap off the tank. Take the hose off at the fuel filter and blow compressed air thru the fuel line right back into the tank. Have someone at the filler pipe listen for air or bubbling fuel. At least this way you don’t need to empty it so there’s fuel above the generator feed line in the tank. One benefit of this is if there’s crud blocking or restricting the line it might be removed. But then there’s no guarantee it won’t block it again.

I imagine the line the the tank is metal, if so maybe it rusted if it sat for a long time with no fuel covering it. Beats me if that’s even possible, just grasping for straws.

If you don’t hear bubbling then it seems you would hear air leaking in the line between the gen and the tank. If not some soapy water along the lines should find the leak.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:58 AM   #19

Listening for bubbles or air leaks is worth a try. Before doing that, why not see if you can disconnect the fuel line at the tank, then see if the generator can draw from a small container through the existing line? That may help rule out the fuel line.
dougc905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #20

The Saga continues . . .

So I got the line replaced, spoiler alert didn’t fix the problem.

I ran new 1/4 hose from the tank to the fuel filter on the generator. In order to access the top of the tank to remove the hose clamp, I ended up removing the right side tires/wheels. Never a fun task in the driveway!

Once everything was connected I ran the genny prime for about 2 minutes, never got a drop of fuel.

On top of the tank where the genny fuel line attaches is a plastic elbow that spins around. Why this is there, I have no idea unless its supposed to make life easier to connect the fuel line.

I will assume here (hate doin that!) that there is an O ring inside this elbow in the section that actually connects to the tank. In a post on another RV site, a user had a similar setup and had to use a 1/4” ac tool to remove the connector. On his, the connector was straight through. On mine it is an elbow. He had 3/4 tank of gas and was able to lower the tank enough to be able to remove the “adapter” and put on the new hose.

So, it appears that I’ll need to drop the tank.

Tags
onan