Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

Onan generator 4000

How often or how many hrs before changing oil and filters? TIA
Wiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

It has no oil filter. Change oil after 1st 20 hrs and then every 100 hrs or annually. Use 15w-40 diesel oil or straight 30w if you only use it in hot weather. It ships from the factory with 15w-40.
Air filter depends on the severity of service. While driving, annually will probably do. Dusty conditions, more often. I blew mine out and got two years out of it.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
It has no oil filter. Change oil after 1st 20 hrs and then every 100 hrs or annually. Use 15w-40 diesel oil or straight 30w if you only use it in hot weather. It ships from the factory with 15w-40.
Air filter depends on the severity of service. While driving, annually will probably do. Dusty conditions, more often. I blew mine out and got two years out of it.

Thanks! Tried to look up in owners manual and dvd that came with RV and no help there. Need to do it. it’s one year old with only 12 hrs. Thanks again!
Wiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Here is a link to the operators instructions: http://www.joshwakefield.com/xplorer...quiet-4000.pdf
Page 10 has the service schedule. I just noticed it reads 150 hrs between oil changes. I don’t remember where I found the 100 hr number but I have been using it for years without any problems. We are only talking about 30 minutes work and <2 qts of oil.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #5

Onan generator 4000

You can go to the Onan website and download the owners manual specific to your unit.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator