Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

Opinions on braking systems

Just picked up my 3010 and plan to have the tow bar, brackets and a braking system installed. Leaning towards Invisabrake. My local RV dealer said 8 in 10 people do not have braking systems because of the cost. Safety is my #1 concern. What do you all think.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #2

I would definitely get a braking system....unless you are towing something less than 1500 pounds....but that is pretty unlikely. It makes a difference in your stopping ability.

My personal favorite is the Ready Brute/Elite....brakes and towbar together.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #3

Check the laws in the areas where you'll be traveling. Most states require braking on your toad and having one will help on those downhill descents. We had the add a brake system, but it was kind of a pain to put in the car. It worked great though and we still have it just in case we go to back to a motorhome.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

Trailer Brakes

In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more. Usually the braking capacity on tow vehicles is good; however, it may not be good enough to safely stop the several hundred to several thousand additional pounds that your trailer weighs. Most conventional and fifth-wheel trailers have electric brakes, activated by a controller in the tow vehicle. The controller automatically coordinates the tow vehicle and trailer braking so the two systems work together when the brake pedal is applied.

The controller can also be helpful in stabilizing a trailer that sways because of bad road conditions. Manually applying the trailer brakes by using the hand lever on the controller will stabilize a trailer that is likely to sway.

Folding camp trailers and boat trailers are usually fitted with surge brake systems which operate separately from the tow vehicle's brakes.

Surge brakes are applied by a mechanism attached to the receiver/ball connection. As the tow vehicle slows, the forward motion of the trailer compresses the mechanism which in turn applies the trailer brakes.

Motorcycle trailers do not need brakes unless the weight exceeds 1500 pounds gross. If you install brakes on your motorcycle trailer, be sure the brakes do not brake harder than the motorcycle or the motorcycle may flip backwards over the trailer when the brakes are applied. The brakes must always be properly adjusted.

Towing Your Trailer Safely

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt11.htm
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

I tow on a dolly with surge brakes. Works great, no wear and tear on the vehicle as nothing is rotating on the car except the rear wheels, and can use just about any vehicle. If I were to tow 4 down I would use this surge brake type tow bar system for the dingy.

RV Tow Bar Ready Brute Elite Aluminum All Terrain Towbar with Integrated Brake | eBay
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bednarski1 View Post
Just picked up my 3010 and plan to have the tow bar, brackets and a braking system installed. Leaning towards Invisabrake. My local RV dealer said 8 in 10 people do not have braking systems because of the cost. Safety is my #1 concern. What do you all think.
Your dealer is nuts!
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #7

Had surge breaks on my 25' load rite boat trailer and they worked great in forward. Backing up on any grade was a nightmare.
And what's with a dealer that doesn't try to sell you on accessories?
Agewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bednarski1 View Post
That may be true just like over half of the RV setups on the road are estimated to be over weight but that doesn't make it a good idea. I definitely would recommend a toad braking system.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #9

I have Patriot system because I have multiple toads. Works great. Have in intake in my truck initially and very pleased. Definitely use supplemental system. Would not travel without it and illegal not to have one in some states.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote